Match Thread Sheffield Wednesday - Coventry City [FA] Match Thread - Friday 26th Jan (2 Viewers)

ccfc1234

It's a joke and can only imagine that it is to keep the moaning of Klopp et al. at arms length

With the inevitable scrapping of replays altogether probably landing in the not so distant future and the semis being held at Wembley they really are doing their best to fuck up the best domestic cup competition in the world
Agree 100% there is a small group of super rich clubs who have enormous squads who are worried about the extra fixtures due to UEFA expanding the champions league. Frankly there are 100s of clubs in the UK for who the champions league is not a thing and the cheek of the rich powerful clubs to dictate terms to the FA is arrogant and shows how much money equates to excessive influence. If the super rich want to play weakened or even junior teams in the FA cup to preserve their stars so they can have a winter break, I am all for that, but don't mess up the income streams and footballing schedule for fans of non champions league clubs as your squads of 40 odd players apparently cant cope.

slowpoke

FWIW I’m all for scrapping replays.
Absolutely no way the FA cup is the best cup competition in the world with hundreds in it the vast majority with no chance of winning. Replays are part of it.
No way should the foreign influence, managers, dictate the competition, then leave after two or three years never to come back. I’d agree with extra time in first match but that’s about it.

slowpoke

Absolutely no way the FA cup is the best cup competition in the world with hundreds in it the vast majority with no chance of winning. Replays are part of it.
No way should the foreign influence, managers, dictate the competition, then leave after two or three years never to come back. I’d agree with extra time in first match but that’s about it.
Fans should stick together on this and government it’s a British tradition.

lord_garrincha

Again no-way, what I would change though is make it an EFL competition with premier clubs not in it and hopefully next season that includes us
Or you could invite the Champ clubs to the paint/pizza trophy???

Then the Prem clubs could have their own ko trophy played around the world... shocked it hasn't happened yet!

slowpoke

The problem with the Premiership is after about a couple of months all the clubs below about sixth spot are looking over their shoulders and as a competition at the moment finishing fourth is success even if you are 20 points behind the winner.
Having said all that I want a part of that.

Alkhen

Give Saka, Collins, Bidwell and Eccles a break. Maybe even Thomas as well
Yeah those are the 5 I'd rest.

Kitching looked a bit rusty after his 3 games out start him. Simms has to start, the lad needs minutes.

Poor Tats has played nonstop since the formation change.

I'd go.

Wilson
Lati Kitching Binks Dasilva
Sheaf Allen
O'Hare
Palmer Godden Simms

Not sure about Allen deeper but would be good to rest Eccles and Sheaf for a half each. Maybe just drop Torp in

MVE Tats on the bench as an emergency backup

edgy

1705918576947.png

I do love the FA Cup, but feel we have much bigger things to fry.

This team is still good enough to get the win, whilst resting a few.

The 3 that defo need a breather are Tats, Bidwell and MVE.

ccfc1234

Get rid of the caravan cup or whatever it’s called also.
My mate supports a lower league team and the chance of visiting or hosting a premier league team in a cup really gives her extra interest not to mention the chance of generating revenue that can secure the club's finances.

ccfc1234

Fair enough. Isn’t it just 7k earnings for getting into round 2? Sure it was only that 2-3 years ago
Might be but I think the pay day and attraction is drawing/visiting a big club in R2 onwards like just AFC Wimbledon did at Chelsea this season.

Bertola

Getting the official Coach for the first time... Does anyone know what parking is available whilst we get it?

Thanks

Offhegoes

I think he does need to rotate the squad, what with a game on Tuesday evening. I would rest Sakamoto & Van Ewijk for sure, and possibly one of the center backs and Eccles or Sheaf.

curly_tom

Get the full strength team out there and try to win it in the first 60 mins then rest players. A cup run would be fantastic. Win this and get an easy home draw in the next roud and we'll be on our way. We have seen that they aren't great and I suspect they will weaken so we have a great opportunity....

TomRad85

I'm really up for this, I'd love to go through and have a bit of a cup run. One of the few negatives you could point at Robins is that he generally has done nothing to help make the cup feel special for us. Play a weakened team, lose to some absolute shite, repeat next year. If Doug has indeed had a word about taking it a touch more seriously then good on him.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I’d get rid of replays - were already discussing whether to play a weakened for Friday night to prepare Bristol next Tuesday.

Why risk having an extra game

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Always sound so arrogant. If you don’t want more games win them first time. If you can’t you aren’t so special as to demand rules just for you. “Bring them back to ours” is a key part of the FA Cup mythos.

Good job back in the 87 cup run we didn't have any replays, all that extra money we could have made.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I’d rather kill the EFL cup than scrap fa cup replays.
I’d do that aswell. It’s just a ballache. The crowds aren’t there for a replay. If we draw to Sheff wed - can’t see there being 15k for a replay On a cold Tuesday night.

the replays benefit nobody at this stage. The 3rd round may benefit non League sides but only if they get a big side. But come the 3rd round there’s hardly any there.

Legia Sky Blue

Wednesday also have a mid week game to play so I imagine they are as likely to rest players as we are. Its a real tough one to call teamwise but the likes of MVE, Saka & O'Hare looked a bit leggy in Saturday's game, and we could really do with them freshened for the Bristol game. However, leaving both Saka & MVE out would leave us with a seemingly big hole to fill on our right side, while it is also unclear what state of mind Palmer might be in to play at Hillsborough again so soon. Nevertheless, it might even be that we don't need to play too strong a side to win the tie. I think Wilson, Lati, Dasilva, Binks, Allen & Simms will all definitely start. If Torp impresses in training he might also get in I guess, but I suspect he might be on the bench with other 1st team squad players in Fadz, Kelly and Tavares.

My guess at the starting XI therefore is:
Wilson
Lati Thomas Binks Dasilva
Allen Sheaf Eccles or Torp
Simms Godden Palmer

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Always sound so arrogant. If you don’t want more games win them first time. If you can’t you aren’t so special as to demand rules just for you. “Bring them back to ours” is a key part of the FA Cup mythos.
I also think thats lost its lustre - everyone in the EFL has got a decent and playable pitch - at worse it’s like Sheff wed’s pitch.

it’s not like you’re bringing them to a bog with the away team being changed in a social club toilet

JohnWH

I feel a lot of confidence in whatever starting XI is named. Squad depth now is admirable.
My only question mark is will the Wendy's pitch look better or worse after a week, it made for some choppy spells for both teams that looked quite ugly and I am left to wonder what (if any) tactical approach changes we might anticipate.

Users who are viewing this thread