Simms (1 Viewer)

wingy

What about balls that are crucial but not counted as assists?

olderskyblue

I've seen signs that there's a player in there, and glad he got his goal last night.

Disappointed though when a cross came in, and instead of busting a gut to get his head on it, he just pushed the defender instead and gave away a free kick.

skybluecam

Neither has Godden. For all the faults of Simms and Godden, they’ve not had many clear cut chances to work with.

It’s more a system issue. Simms needs run in the team now, and we need to put balls in behind defences for Wright and Simms to chase down on. Likewise, we need to get crosses in the box for Simms & Wright too.
Creating chances for strikers is as much about them being in the right positions as it is the quality of pass.

If we could combine Godden and Simms we’d probably have the perfect player for it- Godden’s touch and finishing with Simms’ pace and presence. As it is they both sorely lack what the other has.

Hertsccfc

Some fans needs to stop being so precious. He's been given enough grief, he scored us a goal and rescued a point.

We should be being positive, he's scored a goal. Hopefully that gives him a bit more confidence moving forward.
Yes it seems people care more about celebrations or lack of celebration than players scoring. Ostigard was rated so much higher than he deserved because of kicking the corner flag for example.

Well done to Simms for getting onto the rebound. He needs to do more of that rather than some of the other occasions last night where he could have shown more aggression.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

Couldn't really see what he did as a celebration from where I was sitting but watching it back I don't understand how people are getting bent out of shape about it, we've got some proper soft morons for fans haven't we?

A bloke a few rows in front of me calling him a useless c**t all game, then is probably outraged at a shushing finger! Go figure which is the bigger offence....

Hobo

From the headline it seems he does Victor Torp impressions. Can't imagine they are very convincing.
Yes but they are early impressions, he has development potential.

Hobo

A bloke a few rows in front of me calling him a useless c**t all game, then is probably outraged at a shushing finger! Go figure which is the bigger offence....

Behind me first terrible ball in his direction, "He is dog shit get him off." Had been on the pitch for about a minute.

Yes, you the gobshite, every week in Block 21

stupot07

Vs Championship teams this season (League and Cup)

Godden 27 games / 1921 minutes / average minutes per game 71 mins / 6 goals / 0 assists / total goal involvements 6 / minutes per goal involvement 320 mins

Simms 30 games / 1452 minutes / averwge minute per game 48 mins / 4 goals / 1 assist / total goal involvements 5 / minutes per goal involvement 290 mins.

I'm sure Simms would have had even more involvements had he been afforded the playing time Godden has had.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Mucca Mad Boys

Creating chances for strikers is as much about them being in the right positions as it is the quality of pass.

If we could combine Godden and Simms we’d probably have the perfect player for it- Godden’s touch and finishing with Simms’ pace and presence. As it is they both sorely lack what the other has.

A stat I’d like to see is how many touches our strikers have had in the box. I don’t think Simms or Godden have had many and it is a telling stat.

Yes, their movement could be better. It’s also the responsibility of the midfielders and full backs need to be finding them more often.

Last edited:

Manchester_sky_blue

I do wonder if maybe Simms was a King signing and not a "Robins" signing. He came in early doors, before Vik left and for a significant fee and of all our summer signings was probably the most known name. Wonder if he was supposed to be Kings statement of intent, rather than a player Robins really wanted. Just speculation but it would explain why Robins doesn't seem to have full faith in Simms.

PVA

Vs Championship teams this season (League and Cup)

Godden 27 games / 1921 minutes / average minutes per game 71 mins / 6 goals / 0 assists / total goal involvements 6 / minutes per goal involvement 320 mins

Simms 30 games / 1452 minutes / averwge minute per game 48 mins / 4 goals / 1 assist / total goal involvements 5 / minutes per goal involvement 290 mins.

I'm sure Simms would have had even more involvements had he been afforded the playing time Godden has had.

Whilst I agree with your overall point and I would much rather start Simms over Godden, if they each played 90 minutes in a 46 game season those stats would only result in Simms getting 1.3 more goal involvements over the whole season, so it's pretty negligible really.

stupot07

Whilst I agree with your overall point and I would much rather start Simms over Godden, if they each played 90 minutes in a 46 game season those stats would only result in Simms getting 1.3 more goal involvements over the whole season, so it's pretty negligible really.
Yeah, I think the difficulty is Simms never really gets a run, therefore he never gets to build a rhythm. He had a couple of good games scored and assisted, then got dropped. I think his goal involvements will improve quite a bit with a run in the team.

Even if you look at last 3 months league games Nov - Jan, his subs / starts and how much he's played

Sub - Preston (45)
Start - Stoke (70)
Sub - Millwall (6)
Sub - Plymouth (10)
Sub - Ipswich (16)
Start - Birmingham (90)
Start - Southampton (90)
Start - Leeds (78)
Start - Sunderland (69)
Sub - Sheff Weds (5)
Sub - Swansea (31)
Start - Middlesbrough (70)
Sub - Leicester (11)
Sub - Sheff Weds (10)
Sub - Bristol (31)

How do you build a rhythm when you're in and out the team all the time?

Last edited:

SkyBlueMatt

I do wonder if maybe Simms was a King signing and not a "Robins" signing. He came in early doors, before Vik left and for a significant fee and of all our summer signings was probably the most known name. Wonder if he was supposed to be Kings statement of intent, rather than a player Robins really wanted. Just speculation but it would explain why Robins doesn't seem to have full faith in Simms.

No chance. Just potentially harmful rumours.

Before the signing and when we signed him, I thought it was a great bit of business. Still 99% confident he'll become a beast.

Mucca Mad Boys

Considering Simms comments when he joined, it’s definitely a MR signing. He sold the club and had a plan how to develop Simms.

Hobo

No it doesn't work like that. Robins and his team will identify who they want. Yes King will have to be approached and ok the expenditure.

But King won't be on his own scouting mission.

SBT

Guy in front of me said “If Simms was a horse he’d be put down”, roughly 15 seconds before Kitching took that shot from outside the area.

napolimp

I know, last night one first touch straight in the net?

Yeah, but only because he miss-controlled the ball into the net with his massive clown feet. Any decent striker would have trapped it perfectly, and then ballooned it over the crossbar.

Manchester_sky_blue

Mucca Mad Boys

Yeah that's fair enough. Just speculating as to the apparent disconnect between player and manager at the moment.
Robins selection policy is simple. You play your way into the team.

Godden deserved his starts after 2 goals v Oxford and now Simms has a goal, I’d expect him to be in the starting 11 against Norwich. It’s in him to nail down the spot now.

HadjiChippo

9 goal contributions in 17 games (7 goals, 2 assists) for Sunderland last season is a fantastic return, he definitely has the ability to provide at this level. Had a lot more 90 mins games for them as well.

Hobo

Your point being?

He struggles to get the ball under control annd operate in tight spaces. Limits him as the focal point of the attack.

I admit he is erratic, but some people just like to focus on the weaknesses.

Some people around me, moan every week because he hasn't got to a ball, a ball that is nowhere near him.

Yet noticeably silent or at best sarcastic when he does something well.

He was first to react last night and it was a very good goal.

We looked more potent with him on the pitch last night and against Leicester.

skybluecam

I admit he is erratic, but some people just like to focus on the weaknesses.

Some people around me, moan every week because he hasn't got to a ball, a ball that is nowhere near him.

Yet noticeably silent or at best sarcastic when he does something well.

He was first to react last night and it was a very good goal.

We looked more potent with him on the pitch last night and against Leicester.
I agree generally, although “very good” is stretching it. Keeper should do better and the finish was a foregone conclusion.

We look better because his competition is Godden who just doesn’t have the legs to play there.

For me touch and control are really the basics, anyone struggling with those is unlikely to really kick on to a higher level.

Astute

Here we go again......

Godden offers nothing other than being a top finisher in the box. But even that's started to desert him.

Both Godden and Simms have had a lack of decent chances. Neither of them are going to run past players and score. But Simms offers more. He also gets marked closer giving others more space. He has started to get a better understanding with Wright.

What I'm looking forward to is the Torp corners coming in. The chances will come. Robins needs to start playing Simms. Give him a proper run in the side. He will improve. The question is how much.

And we could also do without the dickheads having a go. Do they think they help our players by constantly berating them?

SkyBlueMatt

Guy in front of me said “If Simms was a horse he’d be put down”, roughly 15 seconds before Kitching took that shot from outside the area.

Don't worry, even after the constant abuse, he'll be "happy to be proven wrong".

Yeah, I think the difficulty is Simms never really gets a run, therefore he never gets to build a rhythm. He had a couple of good games scored and assisted, then got dropped. I think his goal involvements will improve quite a bit with a run in the team.

Even if you look at last 3 months league games Nov - Jan, his subs / starts and how much he's played

Sub - Preston (45)
Start - Stoke (70)
Sub - Millwall (6)
Sub - Plymouth (10)
Sub - Ipswich (16)
Start - Birmingham (90)
Start - Southampton (90)
Start - Leeds (78)
Start - Sunderland (69)

Sub - Sheff Weds (5)
Sub - Swansea (31)
Start - Middlesbrough (70)
Sub - Leicester (11)

Sub - Sheff Weds (10)
Sub - Bristol (31)

How do you build a rhythm when you're in and out the team all the time?

I know I'm picking and choosing but they are some big results while he has been on the pitch.

He really needs to be first choice. That isn't a negative to Godden as I think he still has plenty to offer but it seems we're not playing to his strengths.

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Simms is probably playing the best since he's been here. Goal against Swansea, good performance at Middlesbrough and Oxford and then dropped and now goal off the bench last night.

He has to get a run of 7-8 games in a row going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread