Since Bayliss came in (1 Viewer)

Calista

First 21 games before Bayliss made his debut:
F 21 A 14
35 goals = 1.7 goals per match at either end
Win ratio 43%

Last 24 matches since Bayliss started playing (I realise he’s missed a couple, if anyone can be bothered to separate those games out, please feel free!):
F 43 A 33
76 goals = 3.2 goals per match at either end
Win ratio 54%

Before Robins introduced Tom Bayliss, we were basically a tight team and many of the games were low-scoring. A few I saw were desperately boring. Since he made his debut in mid December, we have changed completely and the games have opened up. 44 goals at either end in our last 10 games.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not holding Bayliss up as the messiah, but it shows how much the balance of the midfield affects the game. More creativity makes chances, but exposes the back four and can make previously solid defenders look like fools. Likewise, strikers who couldn’t hit a barn door start enjoying themselves and scoring.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
You’re basically saying that he’s lazy and doesn’t defend then as we have increased the goals conceded by more than the goals scored in percentage terms.

Calista

You’re basically saying that he’s lazy and doesn’t defend then as we have increased the goals conceded by more than the goals scored in percentage terms.
There’s no way I’d call him lazy, maybe he’s just “mild-mannered” ;)

You can see his commitment and he works his socks off. But like a lot of creative players creative skills, he’s not naturally aggressive and can’t defend that well.

If you play someone like that as one of your midfielders in a 4-4-2, you’re going to expose either the centre of the pitch or one of the flanks. The stats show a massive change in our games after he came in.

For me, Bayliss would thrive in a 5-man midfield i.e. with licence to attack in a 3-5-2 or a 4-2-3-1. Maybe if we have Andreu and Jones back next season, we’ll get some welcome variety in the tactics?

Calista

Google offers a few PPG meanings, and Peppa Pig isn’t among them. It’s a global paint supplier, so their products were probably smeared by Mowbray all over the Ryton canteen, where the players boost their Post-Prandial Glucose levels before having a go on the Penile PlethysmoGraph. I wouldn’t like to compile the stats for that competition.

Users who are viewing this thread