SKY SPORTS + (1 Viewer)

stgeorge1966

At least 24 CCFC games of the championship season will be available to watch on Sky Sports

edgy

Not For Me No GIF by ION

Winny the Bish

5 Championship games every weekend will be shown on TV in current broadcasting slots. 10 EFL matches in total, 6 of which will be at 12:30pm on Saturday.

I think that means:
1x Friday 7:45/8pm
1x Saturday 12:30pm
1x Saturday 7:45pm
1x Sunday 12:30pm

The 5th game will alternate between Friday night and Sunday lunchtime.

Last edited:

SkyBlueSoul

More importantly for match-going fans, scheduling will be decided months in advance according to The Athletic. Obviously there'll still be fewer Saturday 3pm games but at least you can plan ahead (bar the last month of the season).

"Sky Sports are planning to announce scheduled English Football League (EFL) TV picks from August up until the third round of the FA Cup in January before the start of the 2024-25 season.

The broadcaster, who will also show every game from all three EFL divisions on the opening day of the new campaign, are taking this action to avoid any potential fan disruption.

By November, Sky plan to announce TV picks for January to March, and the rest of the season will follow a ‘traditional’ notice period as they keep up with main storylines."

chiefdave

Seems to be because there's no Premier League games that weekend.
Where have they got that from, they've not shown Saturday 3pm games in the past when there's been no Prem fixtures have they? L1 and L2 play during the international breaks and I don't remember it happening then.

This sounds like something they've just decided for themselves, if they can do that why can't they stream all Saturday 3pm games? There's not exactly a lot of Prem games left that kick off then even if its a full round of fixtures.

Martw

5 Championship games every weekend will be shown on TV in current broadcasting slots. 10 EFL matches in total, 6 of which will be at 12:30pm on Saturday.

I think that means:
1x Friday 7:45/8pm
1x Saturday 12:30pm
1x Saturday 7:45pm
1x Sunday 12:30pm

The 5th game will alternate between Friday night and Sunday lunchtime.
Help me with this as I am struggling to understand - did you mean 6 matches would be at 3.00pm not 12.30pm or am I as per normal just not reading it correctly?

Ccfcsj

Hopefully it will be available on Virgin - the press release doesn't mention that platform. I wouldn't put it past Sky to not allow that and use it as a leverage to get more customers at an overinflated price

lord_garrincha

Looks like there will be an element of certainty... Us & Leeds (if they do not go up) will probably have a better schedule than last season.

Have cancelled ifollow season ticket, and pick & choose ordering on Saturday away games I don't go to.

Mr Dave

Hopefully it will be available on Virgin - the press release doesn't mention that platform. I wouldn't put it past Sky to not allow that and use it as a leverage to get more customers at an overinflated price
Hopefully virgin customers will be able to watch the games through the sky sports app, as that gives you the option of logging in with a virgin account. I’m less optimistic that there will be a way to watch through the set box though, but we’ll see.

Winny the Bish

Help me with this as I am struggling to understand - did you mean 6 matches would be at 3.00pm not 12.30pm or am I as per normal just not reading it correctly?
6 EFL matches at 12:30 on a Saturday every week. 1 of them will be a Championship game. Probably a red button style situation for the others.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Where have they got that from, they've not shown Saturday 3pm games in the past when there's been no Prem fixtures have they? L1 and L2 play during the international breaks and I don't remember it happening then.

This sounds like something they've just decided for themselves, if they can do that why can't they stream all Saturday 3pm games? There's not exactly a lot of Prem games left that kick off then even if its a full round of fixtures.

Looks to be just the Daily Mail atm. I wonder if Sky have persuaded them to tweak the blackout rules? -

bigfatronssba

The way its worded here is that its an existing rule

Capture3.JPG

chiefdave

The way its worded here is that its an existing rule

View attachment 35582
Just done a bit of digging and that seems to be the rule and for this season UEFA actually list dates when showing games at 3pm on a Saturday would be allowed but I'm pretty sure that wasn't taken advantage of.

Couple of interesting points and potential wiggle room, although the general consensus seems to be the whole blackout concept is on borrowed time, possibly going when the new PL deal is negotiated as there will be pressure from broadcasters to make all games available.

The relevant authorities have to provide UEFA with the time for the blackout and the time should be when the majority of the games in the top 2 divisions are played but a lot of PL games already don't kick off at 3pm Saturday and with the new EFL deal an increasing number of championship games won't. The rules don't say what happens if there isn't a single time when the majority of games kick off.

The other interesting part is that pretty much fuck all is likely to happen if the rule isn't enforced. The only people who can even lodge a complaint are "any member association which has incurred damage as a result of the violation".

Samo

Where does this mean for Virgin customers?

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

They'll be getting free tokens to go up to hillfields and break their ducks.

Oooh you seem to know, is that how it works, no cash no crime. 😱

Users who are viewing this thread