"Smaller" clubs now bigger than Coventry City. (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

Southampton, Leicester, Stoke have become bigger thanks to SISU.

AndreasB

I'd say that historically, we are a slightly smaller club than those teams we are often compared to.....

Norwich, Southampton, Leicester, Pompey etc. all have a slightly better success level than us & similar crowds.....

CCFC are a bit weird in as much as we were always one of the minows in the top flight, but have never really become the big fish in a small pond that we should be now....

I've been a CCFC fan since the late 1970's & its seems to me that, with a few obvious exceptions, regardless of which level we play at, we are never far away from 16th, 17th , 18th position.....bizarre.

I think 17th is our natural position that we gravitate to, whatever league we are in. Unfortunatley we were never a big club, even when we thought we were a big club, splashing the cash in the PL on gates of 17,000 and less than 10,000 season ticket holders.

We fluked our way into staying up for too many years (cf Bolton, Blackburn, Wigan etc) which has given us a sense of self importance far greater than our true worth.

italiahorse

We're not the only club in the history of football to be run badly, from all the clubs I mentioned in this division almost all of them were in this league because of bad management yet their fans didn't desert them. No excuse for our poor attendances

When Leicester, Norwich, Leeds and Southampton were in this league they were at the bottom of their cycle and the fans knew it.
We are not at the bottom of our cycle yet and the fans know it.
I'm starting to think that my support does not help the club as Sisu continue to take my money and every year I get less and less for it.
I'd pay double if I thought it would make a difference.

Evo1883

We're not the only club in the history of football to be run badly, from all the clubs I mentioned in this division almost all of them were in this league because of bad management yet their fans didn't desert them. No excuse for our poor attendances
Well it kind of is in a way , teams like leicester etc have only really overtaken city in the last 10-15 years in terms of attendance , and its primarily down to success or expectation , without expectation or hope you have very little to keep you interested

SkyBlue_Bear83

Well it kind of is in a way , teams like leicester etc have only really overtaken city in the last 10-15 years in terms of attendance , and its primarily down to success or expectation , without expectation or hope you have very little to keep you interested

Well before 2002 our attendances were similarish withing a few k to Leicester most seasons despite us being a consistent fixture in the top tier and Leicester bouncing around between 1 and 2.

Sheffield Utd down in this league for longer than us and still get double our attendances, no excuse for our piss poor support and attendances other than this is the level we deserve to be.

pusbccfc

When Leicester, Norwich, Leeds and Southampton were in this league they were at the bottom of their cycle and the fans knew it.
We are not at the bottom of our cycle yet and the fans know it.
I'm starting to think that my support does not help the club as Sisu continue to take my money and every year I get less and less for it.
I'd pay double if I thought it would make a difference.

Good post.

Leicester, Leeds and Southampton knew they would be getting promoted which is why their attendances were high.

Imagine if we were almost guaranteed an exciting season winning every week, we'd be getting crowds three times what they are now.

Grendel

Good post.

Leicester, Leeds and Southampton knew they would be getting promoted which is why their attendances were high.

Imagine if we were almost guaranteed an exciting season winning every week, we'd be getting crowds three times what they are now.

Two of those clubs weren't promoted first time round were they?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Good post.

Doubtful, Leeds spent 3 seasons down here and there attendances barely dropped from what they are getting in the championship.

Southampton had a -10 points during there first season in which they finished 7th and still got 20k which was an increase on their last championship season.

We'd only get a big attendance when the promotion clincher match came around, no way would we be getting 20k+ every week for the standard L1 fixture.

CovLis86

Its a valid point. People haven't stopped going to games because they no longer support/care for Coventry City. People no longer feel like any money going into the club will 1) go to the team 2) the small amount that does is spent wisely. So why keep going and encouraging SISU to stay. Sooner they can be encouraged to cut their losses and move on the better for all concerned. Including them, thats the baffling bit. They are that stubborn they are staying to their own detriment.

pusbccfc

Well before 2002 our attendances were similarish withing a few k to Leicester most seasons despite us being a consistent fixture in the top tier and Leicester bouncing around between 1 and 2.

Sheffield Utd down in this league for longer than us and still get double our attendances, no excuse for our piss poor support and attendances other than this is the level we deserve to be.

Sheffield United haven't had any of the shit we have had.

As well as that, they have always been pushing for promotion and even got to a Wembley semi final.

SkyBlue_Bear83

There you go then!

That's why their attendances were far great than ours.
Err....what? You said their attendaces were high because they knew they would be promoted. Yet two of the clubs failed to get promoted Leeds (failed twice) and Southampton (failed once) and now this is the reason they got high attendances?

Brighton Sky Blue

Sheffield United haven't had any of the shit we have had.

As well as that, they have always been pushing for promotion and even got to a Wembley semi final.

They don't lose to Conference North teams at home, usually helps cup runs.

Brighton Sky Blue

Leicester and Saints were backed by billionaires which may have helped their cause somewhat. The management here is exceptionally poor even when compared to the other ones to have come down here and actions like taking the club to Northampton for a year make people feel more disenfranchised from the whole thing. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that this is the worst run club of the 92 League sides.

skyblueinBaku

Leicester and Saints were backed by billionaires which may have helped their cause somewhat. The management here is exceptionally poor even when compared to the other ones to have come down here and actions like taking the club to Northampton for a year make people feel more disenfranchised from the whole thing. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that this is the worst run club of the 92 League sides.

I'm sure that there are plenty of non league clubs that are run better than CCFC. :(

pusbccfc

Err....what? You said their attendaces were high because they knew they would be promoted. Yet two of the clubs failed to get promoted Leeds (failed twice) and Southampton (failed once) and now this is the reason they got high attendances?

Sorry misread.

Regardless, it took Leeds three times, more than what it is taking us!

Leeds finished in the play offs in both the previous two seasons before being automatically promoted.
Southampton finished 7th in the season before being promoted.

Lets be honest, we have never once looked like being promoted automatically, not even close. Bar the first season we have not been hopeful of any success.

Covstu

Its a valid point. People haven't stopped going to games because they no longer support/care for Coventry City. People no longer feel like any money going into the club will 1) go to the team 2) the small amount that does is spent wisely. So why keep going and encouraging SISU to stay. Sooner they can be encouraged to cut their losses and move on the better for all concerned. Including them, thats the baffling bit. They are that stubborn they are staying to their own detriment.

Apathy has well and truly kicked in and it is vertually impossible to rescue some fans back unless we are top of the league with 5 games to go. This whole saga has created a huge gap in support from fans who stopped supporting whilst at 6fields or wont back SISU anymore, equally kids are not attending as a result. These fans have found better things to spend their cash on sadly.

I fear it will take a constant push of successful seasons (without SISU) for attendances to improve to compare to Sheff Utd and a number of other clubs mentioned.

covboy1987

Biggest kick in the teeth Bournemouth, not really what you would call a football town shows what can be done with investment they were getting crowds of 6,000- 7,000 last season now getting crowds of 10,000 - 11,000 and oh i forgot can nick other so called larger teams best players (Callum Wilson) and treble there wages

Grendel

There is definately one that's worse.

Paxman II

This bigger club thing has been discussed on here before many times. Simply put we are a big club in comparison to many others up and down the country. Coventry is a big city. It goes without saying that means the football club potentially should be successful and have a certain status higher than minnows such as Yeovil etc. Put that together with recent modern times and yes Coventry are currently a disaster, not unlike the more recent period Man City were in. Leeds too are a huge club and languish in the lower tier for now. It doesn't make them a smaller club than the Yeovil's of this world.
The only thing I would say about CCFC is the apathy of the general public in Coventry towards football. Norwich is a classic example of smaller club attracting less apathy than we do. Aston Villa should be a big club but fail to really be thanks to similar apathy in the West Midlands. Wish I could put my finger on it.

Senior Vick from Alicante

This bigger club thing has been discussed on here before many times. Simply put we are a big club in comparison to many others up and down the country. Coventry is a big city. It goes without saying that means the football club potentially should be successful and have a certain status higher than minnows such as Yeovil etc. Put that together with recent modern times and yes Coventry are currently a disaster, not unlike the more recent period Man City were in. Leeds too are a huge club and languish in the lower tier for now. It doesn't make them a smaller club than the Yeovil's of this world.
The only thing I would say about CCFC is the apathy of the general public in Coventry towards football. Norwich is a classic example of smaller club attracting less apathy than we do. Aston Villa should be a big club but fail to really be thanks to similar apathy in the West Midlands. Wish I could put my finger on it.

I think it's down to the product on the pitch villa have been a poor football side for a while now and their fans like ours vote with their feet. No one will pay if your not being entertained, you couldn't expect to have loads of customers in your cinema if you keep playing the same film. We are a club who given the right circumstances can be big again from the context of being able to attract 30,000 customers. Having the owners with the commitment and manager with the nouse to do it is another.

Pezza

I remember being in the premiership in late 90's with players like Dublin, Hucks, Whelan, etc and our average attendance was somewhere between 13-17k, we have never been a well supported club since I've been a fan (28 years).

We have however always turned up in numbers for big days, Ricoh return, United away in league cup. Fair weather and fickle is how I'd describe the majority of cov fans.

bigfatronssba

I remember being in the premiership in late 90's with players like Dublin, Hucks, Whelan, etc and our average attendance was somewhere between 13-17k, we have never been a well supported club since I've been a fan (28 years).

We have however always turned up in numbers for big days, Ricoh return, United away in league cup. Fair weather and fickle is how I'd describe the majority of cov fans.

Our support was much higher than that in the late '90's. I'm afraid this "we were never supported well in the premiership" line is up there with "CCFC always had to win on the last day to stay up" in terms of mythology.

Average CCFC attendances in the late 90's:

1995/96 18,907
1996/97 19,625
1997/98 19,718
1998/99 20,773
1999/00 20,809

So between around 19k - 21k.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

CCFC LCFC

2001 20.582 2001 20.452
2000 20.809 2000 19.827
1999 20.773 1999 20.469
1996 18.507 1996 16.530
1991 13.794 1991 11.546
1990 14.312 1990 11.716
1989 16.040 1989 10.694
1988 17.509 1988 10.157
1987 16.120 1987 11.697
1980 19.315 1980 18.636
1979 22.638 1979 14.187
1978 23.353 1978 17.768
1977 21.242 1977 18.807
1973 24.623 1973 22.706
1971 26.039 1971 25.996
1970 32.043 1970 25.104
1969 33.223 1969 28.446
1968 34.705 1968 24.528
1967 28.269 1967 24.463
1966 25.370 1966 22.325
1965 26.621 1965 19.963
1964 26.017 1964 24.142

In just under half of seasons between 1964 - 2014 we had the bigger crowd.

This confirms what I said. We were a bigger supported club than Leicester before both clubs moved stadium. Since then the reverse has happened.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Because they have been able to attract fans due to stints in the premier league.

Precisely. They have been promoted to the Prem a couple of times if I'm not mistaken since the new millennium, got to 2 cup finals. In that time we have spiralled down and almost out without a hint of promotion. It's all about fans having some genuine hope, and at present we have absolutely none.

stupot07

How much seating was lost due to segregation or set aside for away fans? Filbert Street was 22k, HR was 23.5k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

ecky

Apart from 87 what has there been to shout about?
No wonder people are apathetic!

Our current owners don't give a flying duck, the manager is useless, the football is dire and the club is a disaster
No wonder people have stopped going

Gazolba

This confirms what I said. We were a bigger supported club than Leicester before both clubs moved stadium. Since then the reverse has happened.

It was a lot easier to get to HR than the Ricoh and the atmosphere was much better. What atmposphere can there be when a stadium is 1/5 full. You also have to take into account the price of tickets.

Evo1883

People forget that alot of stadiums in the 90s were not full , chelsea v coventry at stamford bridge 21k mid nineties

Gazolba

I think for the size of the city and population we are a terribly supported club. The potential is always there and probably why a few deem ourselves similiar to Southampton etc. Its just a shame the club hasn't been able to reign those people in for a long time.

There are a lot of immigrants in Coventry who's national sport is Cricket not Football. Might that be a factor?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

There are a lot of immigrants in Coventry who's national sport is Cricket not Football. Might that be a factor?

Looking at our average crowd after the F.A. Cup winning season, now that is disappointing.
Look at the size of the town of Ipswich . Very well supported given its population. Immigrants are pretty much in all big towns.

Last edited:

bigfatronssba

Looking at our average crowd after the F.A. Cup winning season, now that is disappointing.
Look at the size of the town of Ipswich . Very well supported given its population. Immigrants are pretty much in all big towns.

No it isn't, we were the 11th best supported team in the division.

1 Liverpool 39582
2 Manchester United 39152
3 Arsenal 29910
4 Everton 27771
5 Tottenham Hotspur 25921
6 Newcastle United 21059
7 Chelsea 20118
8 West Ham United 19802
9 Sheffield Wednesday 19797
10 Nottingham Forest 19670
11 Coventry City 17509
12 Derby County 17158
13 Norwich City 15942
14 Portsmouth 15923
15 Southampton 14544
16 Watford 14530
17 Queens Park Rangers 13268
18 Charlton Athletic 8685
19 Oxford United 8355
20 Luton Town 8039
21 Wimbledon 7995

chiefdave

Looking at that list if you look at all those teams average attendance now have we had the biggest drop?

Users who are viewing this thread