So .. as it happens (3 Viewers)

Evo1883

This is exactly the season finish i expected before we kicked a ball , a 9th placed finish(check the where will we finish thread ) in a season which is considered a transitional season .

Look , I can't pretend that our form hasn't been disappointing and I've become a bit more negative along with it , in reality I think that the season changed with sakamotos Injury and NOT just fatigue which some , including the manager seem happy to just use as the sole reason .. with sakamoto we had a nice balance of attack and defence and he linked well with O'Hare too , we also had higher quality balls being put into he box .

Reality is I think this is probably exactly where we should be when you consider the massive amount of change in the summer and we've definitely got the foundations of a very good squad here , but we must go into next season with a bigger and more capable squad

I look Forward to seeing who we sign and look forward to an improved effort next year , i still back Mark Robins to get us to the premier league

PUSB

Cally Fedora

Yes, seasons have key points don’t they. Four key points this one probably 1) The formation change to get us going 2) Simms finding some form. 3) The Sakamoto injury and 4) The cup shoot out just seemingly finishing off our physical reserves. Others may add a fifth being the addition of just 1 in January. A factor, but not a huge one for me.

shmmeee

Saka injured, MvE out of position, O’Hare given up, Sheaf in and out the side Torp not up to scratch. Eccles trying his best but just lacking quality. Collins and Kitching having the poise of an ADHD kid at Cadbury World.

Lots of things seemed to come in together second half of the season.

JoeCCFCPUSB

Saka injured, MvE out of position, O’Hare given up, Sheaf in and out the side Torp not up to scratch. Eccles trying his best but just lacking quality. Collins and Kitching having the poise of an ADHD kid at Cadbury World.

Lots of things seemed to come in together second half of the season.
Bang on there mate!

Johnnythespider

I think we're desperate for a real leader on the pitch, someone who's prepared to call players out when they cock up or start coasting, it could be Sheaf if he's still here as he had a go at Collins for the second goal, we also need a keeper who can give Collins a challenge for the shirt or put him on the bench, I'd like to see us be a bit braver in games next season and make quicker starts in matches. I'm not overly disappointed with the season but we were in with a big chance of the playoffs eight games ago and stalled badly for whatever reason, interesting summer ahead and I'll renew despite misgivings about kick off times.

shmmeee

That’s extremely harsh. Eccles has been fine. Torp will settle. Kitching will be our top CH for a good while.

“Fine” “will” “will”

So you agree with my assessment then. Eccles is lacking something and the others aren’t there yet. Good stuff.

Cally Fedora

“Fine” “will” “will”

So you agree with my assessment then. Eccles is lacking something and the others aren’t there yet. Good stuff.
Not really. Eccles is lacking nothing - very good championship midfielder. Kitching had some excellent games alongside Thomas and Torp has been good given that he’s new in. But you can spin it the other way if you’re looking for the negatives

shmmeee

Not really. Eccles is lacking nothing - very good championship midfielder. Kitching had some excellent games alongside Thomas and Torp has been good given that he’s new in. But you can spin it the other way if you’re looking for the negatives

I think claiming Eccles is “lacking nothing” is bold. We’d be beating off £100m+ offers if that was the case lol

He’s good at what he does, but he doesn’t have the close control, ability to drive past players, speed of thought, or ability to execute a pass that we’ve been lacking since Hamer left. That’s not his fault, he’s a different type of player.

I’m not spinning or looking for negatives. If we take your approach that every player is world class and has had an amazing season then I guess you’re up for sacking Robins as we didn’t win the league at a canter.

Ccfcisparks

New GK
MVE Thomas Kitching Burrows
Sheaf Eccles
Sakamoto. EMC
Simms Wright

Sign burrows and a new keeper and go from there

shmmeee

I think Torp has been a real disappointment TBH. Ending the season behind Liam Kelly and you’re going to get questions asked.

shmmeee

Because he's been injured and Kelly's on his way out anyway. Should benefit a lot from a full pre season I think.

Hope so. He’s had the “score a worldie on your debut” halo effect keep him safe for a while and shown nice touches. But not the impact you want from a £2.5m signing IMO.

Brighton Sky Blue

Hope so. He’s had the “score a worldie on your debut” halo effect keep him safe for a while and shown nice touches. But not the impact you want from a £2.5m signing IMO.
He's had some pretty good performances since then I think and shown some intelligent play. Keeping in mind he was thrown into the side during what was essentially pre season for him once Sheaf got injured I've no issues with him.

Jamesimus

Plenty more to come from him. I think he’s just getting eased in and given a bit of time, next season will be the one to judge him on.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I think we're desperate for a real leader on the pitch, someone who's prepared to call players out when they cock up or start coasting, it could be Sheaf if he's still here as he had a go at Collins for the second goal, we also need a keeper who can give Collins a challenge for the shirt or put him on the bench, I'd like to see us be a bit braver in games next season and make quicker starts in matches. I'm not overly disappointed with the season but we were in with a big chance of the playoffs eight games ago and stalled badly for whatever reason, interesting summer ahead and I'll renew despite misgivings about kick off times.

Sheaf has been our captain mostly since returning from his injury. In that time we've seen our form tank pretty much straight away, and us surrender a place in the playoffs. It will trigger a few on here, but that's a terrible look to have happened on a captain's watch. Second time this season as well, and the two bouts of good form we've had have both happened when he was out.

Shouting at a goalkeeper when he's made a mistake isn't what makes you a good captain. Rallying the team and managing them through storms is, as is looking out for your players across the game, sticking up for them, and getting stuck in where required. We've badly missed having a real leader in the team and it's showed. I agree the league position after such a revamp is ok, but to drop away like a stone, which we have done, is massively dissapointing.

shmmeee

Sheaf has been our captain mostly since returning from his injury. In that time we've seen our form tank pretty much straight away, and us surrender a place in the playoffs. It will trigger a few on here, but that's a terrible look to have happened on a captain's watch. Second time this season as well, and the two bouts of good form we've had have both happened when he was out.

Shouting at a goalkeeper when he's made a mistake isn't what makes you a good captain. Rallying the team and managing them through storms is, as is looking out for your players across the game, sticking up for them, and getting stuck in where required. We've badly missed having a real leader in the team and it's showed. I agree the league position after such a revamp is ok, but to drop away like a stone, which we have done, is massively dissapointing.

It’s OK ESB, it’ll all be over soon.

Brighton Sky Blue

To be honest for even a player with the personality of Sheaf to just lay into a teammate like that reveals more about frustration in the camp at Collins' throwing it into his own goal every couple of games than whatever Sheaf is like as captain.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

To be honest for even a player with the personality of Sheaf to just lay into a teammate like that reveals more about frustration in the camp at Collins' throwing it into his own goal every couple of games than whatever Sheaf is like as captain.

I agree, but that's a separate point.

The amount of goals we've given away as complete gifts recently is mad to be honest.

Brighton Sky Blue

I agree, but that's a separate point.

The amount of goals we've given away as complete gifts recently is mad to be honest.
It's not recent either, it's been that way since January. Today another one conceded from a set piece despite us packing our own box to add to one on Tuesday.

A few times today we managed to win the ball from a set piece then hoofed it up to nobody so it came right back, I'll never understand the logic.

shmmeee

It's not recent either, it's been that way since January. Today another one conceded from a set piece despite us packing our own box to add to one on Tuesday.

A few times today we managed to win the ball from a set piece then hoofed it up to nobody so it came right back, I'll never understand the logic.

Is it sad that when we left Simms up second half for one I thought of you? 😂

Otis

This is exactly the season finish i expected before we kicked a ball , a 9th placed finish(check the where will we finish thread ) in a season which is considered a transitional season .

Look , I can't pretend that our form hasn't been disappointing and I've become a bit more negative along with it , in reality I think that the season changed with sakamotos Injury and NOT just fatigue which some , including the manager seem happy to just use as the sole reason .. with sakamoto we had a nice balance of attack and defence and he linked well with O'Hare too , we also had higher quality balls being put into he box .

Reality is I think this is probably exactly where we should be when you consider the massive amount of change in the summer and we've definitely got the foundations of a very good squad here , but we must go into next season with a bigger and more capable squad

I look Forward to seeing who we sign and look forward to an improved effort next year , i still back Mark Robins to get us to the premier league

PUSB
Yeah, fair play. I don't think for a single second though that Robins is using that as the sole reason. Losing Sakamoto really hurt us and we never adequately replaced him.

Robins is never, ever going to come out and say that's a reason is he. That's the sort of thing you play close to your chest. Be pointless and counterproductive to admit that while the season was still in play and we had a small chance of the playoffs.

I bet he does indeed believe that was a big reason though.

For me, losing Sakamoto was a massive blow to the team and we looked disjointed after.

I think it was a number of reasons. Losing Sakamoto, the deflation of losing that Man U game, the size of the squad, fatigue (yep) and then the ridiculous amount of goals we absolutely gifted the opposition. It's been horrendous for a number of games now.

Users who are viewing this thread