So, this morning I went Sea Swimming.... (1 Viewer)

Skyblueweeman

This week, I got talked into going for a swim in the sea, just off Portsmouth.

T'was bloody freezing this morning in the water (as expected) but it felt so good afterwards. I'm lucky that the last few years haven't got me down and my mental health has been relatively ok but the person who talked me into doing this, said he partly did it to help his mental health.

I was only in the sea 8 minutes but I feel great afterwards. I know I'm lucky to live by the sea but my Friday nugget is do something you wouldn't normally do.

You'll feel soooo much better for it.

fernandopartridge

T'was bloody freezing this morning in the water (as expected) but it felt so good afterwards. I'm lucky that the last few years haven't got me down and my mental health has been relatively ok but the person who talked me into doing this, said he partly did it to help his mental health.

I was only in the sea 8 minutes but I feel great afterwards. I know I'm lucky to live by the sea but my Friday nugget is do something you wouldn't normally do.

You're posting on a forum generally full of people from the very middle of England mate

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Sounds great!

Now if I can just be bothered with the couple of hours journey to the sea and back...

clint van damme

I was only in the sea 8 minutes but I feel great afterwards.

Surviving a brush with death will do that to you.
Might give it a bash down the Sherbourne in Spon end if anyone fancies joining me.
Please wear hi viz budgie smugglers in the interest of health and safety.

Terry_dactyl

My brother lives in Portsmouth and goes sea swimming…

Skyblueweeman

I do like the whole wake up your system with the cold water though, sometimes have a freezing cold shower and it does the trick.

I normally turn the shower to freezing for the last 30 seconds every morning. Feels invigorating.

Grendel

clint van damme

On a serious point many medics think this is madness and can literally kill you

Surprised and the mail banging the drum for over zealous health and safety.
I was in Looe about 20 months ago in an apartment overlooking the beach and from first light every morning there were dozens of people at it - maniacs.

Skyblueweeman

On a serious point many medics think this is madness and can literally kill you

Not like you to put a downer on something G?

Anyway, it is a serious point, granted. That said, you can 'literally get killed' doing anything - cycling, running, love-making (oo-er), mending your car.

Also, that article states:

It is rare – affecting about one in 10,000 people in the UK every year – and it typically happens to people over the age of 50.

The average age that someone has an attack is 62, I discovered, which happens to be my age.

I'm 42 and as it's that rare, I'm fine with doing it - only once a week in any case.

But I'm honoured that you took the time to show some concern for me.

Thanks babes

** blows kiss **

duffer

If being on here doesn't get you down mate, then I reckon you can handle anything life throws at you, cold water swim or not. 😁

Covkid1968#

Canal swimming is where it’s at in The Midlands. Shopping trolleys, dead rats, barge toilet waste are just some of the highlights you sea folk are missing out on.

Liquid Gold

I'm doing more cycling to get outdoors.

Got a family holiday in Swanage in May and planning to do the whole cycle from Bristol down to there.

Sea swimming is great, do it sometimes when I go down to Cornwall but it's a bit of a dip and out cos I can't handle the cold without a wetsuit.

Skyblueweeman

I'm doing more cycling to get outdoors.

Got a family holiday in Swanage in May and planning to do the whole cycle from Bristol down to there.

Sea swimming is great, do it sometimes when I go down to Cornwall but it's a bit of a dip and out cos I can't handle the cold without a wetsuit.

I used to cycle a lot but stopped really after Lands End to John O'Groats. Took a lot out of me mentally and physically but then my bike was written off so not cheap to replace. Loved cycling though.

Terry_dactyl

Ah nice one. That's about 8 miles isn't it?
It’s a fair old stretch. Not for me. He was on about swimming across where the Golden Gate Bridge is (I know it’s in San Francisco…right?) for his 50th. Again, not for me.

I actually do quite fancy a short, early morning dip. I think they do it down cardiff bay, which I’m not too far from. I might check it out.

Skyblueweeman

It’s a fair old stretch. Not for me. He was on about swimming across where the Golden Gate Bridge is (I know it’s in San Francisco…right?) for his 50th. Again, not for me.

I actually do quite fancy a short, early morning dip. I think they do it down cardiff bay, which I’m not too far from. I might check it out.

Honestly, do it mate. Genuinely felt great yesterday afterwards. Committing to do it every Friday morning.

Users who are viewing this thread