South Stand home end? (1 Viewer)

Calista

In all the talk about segregating fans etc., a point that usually gets missed is that ridiculously we don’t have a real home presence behind either goal! As mentioned by DadGad and others, the North Stand is exposed to the sun, prevailing winds and rain, and even in the earlier days of the Ricoh when it was regarded as our end, to me it always felt more like an open terrace than a covered home end. It’s not a particularly compelling place.

Can anyone remind me if there is an overriding reason why the club couldn’t allocate part of the North Stand to away fans, and give us the whole of the South Stand? Would it present any kind of new policing issues getting fans in and out of those areas? I can see a few other potential questions (whether to move the big screen, where the JSB’s should be; access to the Anecdote etc.), but nothing that couldn’t be sorted out. It seems some CCFC fans might be annoyed not to be close enough to the ‘enemy’, but I could imagine the South Stand recreating something more like the old West End, which would be brilliant. And the ideal place for a safe standing area.

Robinshio

I dont think so as there is a segregation issue - The only option which we did back in the Coleman era is to give us part of the south stand behind the goal, and push the away fans into the corner towards blocks 1:3

Calista

I dont think so as there is a segregation issue - The only option which we did back in the Coleman era is to give us part of the south stand behind the goal, and push the away fans into the corner towards blocks 1:3
Maybe we can do that again, and keep pushing them one season at a time, all the way along the Main Stand and eventually through the Press Box and the JSB's until we've got them in the North Stand where we want them.

Calista

Would still be interested to know the exact constraints in the stadium though. If it cost (say) a million to overcome them and improve the attractiveness to home fans, it would pay for itself in no time.

Northants Sky Blue

This sounds like the way to go (and a similar set-up works well at the King Power)

Keeps the atmosphere we currently generate and also gives us a presence behind that goal

OffenhamSkyBlue

I think the main issue is the segregation in the concourse which is a concrete wall currently. I suspect they could put up something similar elsewhere but $$$

bigfatronssba

If we ever got promoted I imagine the away fans would be pushed right into the corner with the rest of the stand being a home area

napolimp

Push as many home fans as possible round into the North Stand, cram them into the corner, and then close as many blocks as possible in the East stand for extra safe segregation. Maybe stick some land mines into blocks 15 to 20, for anyone who's feeling brave, and bring in the military to stand along the pitch boundary facing the crowd. Eventually shut down the city during match days, and herd all fans into a fenced off area in the city centre. (y)

pusbccfc

Never gonna happen until we get into the Premier League and we give away fans a maximum of 3000 and home fans have up to Block 10.

slowpoke

How many do blocks 6 to 9 hold and what about block 4 & 5. If we get into the premier away tickets will always sell out.

SBT

Would still be interested to know the exact constraints in the stadium though. If it cost (say) a million to overcome them and improve the attractiveness to home fans, it would pay for itself in no time.
Is the South Stand that much better than the North Stand? I’m not sure if there are fans staying away over this issue….

pusbccfc

How many do blocks 6 to 9 hold and what about block 4 & 5. If we get into the premier away tickets will always sell out.

If we got into the play offs, we'd likely give 3000 to the away fans and then have home fans in the South Stand.

2.15722883.jpg

You can just about make out the 1800 Crewe fans in the away end. An extra block would equal the 3000 needed.

Calista

Is the South Stand that much better than the North Stand? I’m not sure if there are fans staying away over this issue….
They are physically more or less the same, but I don’t know if you’ve watched many games from the North Stand? Like a lot of people I would normally prefer to be behind a goal, but in wet weather or on a sunny day (i.e. a high proportion of the time) that stand is not great. Hence the relative popularity these days of watching from the sides, and people aren’t flocking back to the North Stand are they?

I’m pretty sure we’d pack out the South Stand, and the experience would be a big attraction IMO. The atmosphere generated could also inspire the team, but these things are impossible to quantify I know. So I guess it comes back to the difficulty and cost of making the change. It would be good to know whether it's prohibitive, or just needs a bit of will and a modest outlay.

Simply, home fans should have the best parts of the stadium.

WestEndAgro

They are physically more or less the same, but I don’t know if you’ve watched many games from the North Stand? Like a lot of people I would normally prefer to be behind a goal, but in wet weather or on a sunny day (i.e. a high proportion of the time) that stand is not great. Hence the relative popularity these days of watching from the sides, and people aren’t flocking back to the North Stand are they?

I’m pretty sure we’d pack out the South Stand, and the experience would be a big attraction IMO. The atmosphere generated could also inspire the team, but these things are impossible to quantify I know. So I guess it comes back to the difficulty and cost of making the change. It would be good to know whether it's prohibitive, or just needs a bit of will and a modest outlay.

Ask Pete to send an email, we'll be in the South stand by Saturday.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

In all the talk about segregating fans etc., a point that usually gets missed is that ridiculously we don’t have a real home presence behind either goal! As mentioned by DadGad and others, the North Stand is exposed to the sun, prevailing winds and rain, and even in the earlier days of the Ricoh when it was regarded as our end, to me it always felt more like an open terrace than a covered home end. It’s not a particularly compelling place.

Can anyone remind me if there is an overriding reason why the club couldn’t allocate part of the North Stand to away fans, and give us the whole of the South Stand? Would it present any kind of new policing issues getting fans in and out of those areas? I can see a few other potential questions (whether to move the big screen, where the JSB’s should be; access to the Anecdote etc.), but nothing that couldn’t be sorted out. It seems some CCFC fans might be annoyed not to be close enough to the ‘enemy’, but I could imagine the South Stand recreating something more like the old West End, which would be brilliant. And the ideal place for a safe standing area.

Moving the away fans to the north stand would cost money 💰 so who would pay for that, the club or Mike Ashley?

WestEndAgro

With all the talk of huge improvements required at the CBS, surely this would be a good time to discuss if it's possible.
#skybluepete.

SBT

I think people are sitting at the sides either to be close to the away fans, or because the North Stand was closed for a few years. When the Ricoh opened it was a lot busier iirc.

Been a long time since I’ve sat in the North Stand and I don’t doubt that the South Stand has the edge in terms of sun in your eyes etc, but I just can’t imagine that it’s going to transform the atmosphere, or get stayaways flocking back. If it did, it might be worth the money to reconfigure the whole ground….but it’s not our ground anyway.

Mcbean

I think the issue will be away fans having to walk amongst home fans to their buses - even with the fences now there are muppets from both sides making aggressive moves - they can segregate them currently and get them away easily onto the 444

alexccfc99

Last time I can recall home fans in the south stand was one of the games in L1 where they made tickets a fiver and gave loads away to school kids

fernandopartridge

I've sat in the South Stand twice:

1. The test event they had on a Thursday night prior to the first game at the Ricoh

2. The Crewe game I was in the block closest to the Crewe fans

Agree that away fans should probably be moved but not really sure whether it would benefit the atmosphere much. I think part of the reason for the currently good atmosphere is fans being relatively condensed.

blunted

Fletcher I think, said a mistake was made when the ground was planned and that away fans could not be put elsewhere, as leaving the ground would mean supporters mixing a lot more than they do now, resulting in more potential flashpoints. Think the police also objected on similar grounds.

pusbccfc

1. The test event they had on a Thursday night prior to the first game at the Ricoh

Agree that away fans should probably be moved but not really sure whether it would benefit the atmosphere much. I think part of the reason for the currently good atmosphere is fans being relatively condensed.

Agree really. I've always found away ends louder if they are in a corner.

The atmosphere at Hull last season was poor but this year the acoustics in that corner were incredible. Probably the best I can remember.

Always thought the acoustics at Derby and Leicester were good too.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the corner besides the limited capacity.

slowpoke

I was in the north stand v Chelsea for the FA Cup quarter-final and quiet near the Chelsea fans, must have been at least block eleven.
The only problem was some of our moronic fans throwing plastic bottles full of something probably not water into the the Chelsea lot.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If away fans moved to the north stand then singers corner would just migrate to the other corner to be next to them again.

Only way that you might try to get them behind the goal is to designate that as the safe standing area if and when we get one.

And although the north stand has the problems with the sun in your eyes I can tell you from experience that it can get get VERY chilly in the south stand because it never gets the sun and if the winds blowing from the north.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Sun 🌞 in your eyes, how about these.

dank GIF

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

One of the best atmosphere's at a stadium I have experienced was HSV (Hamburg). They have a standing terrace like the image below. Would love to have something like this at the CBS (probably south stand). No idea where you would put the away fans, but for me, having a 'hardcore' corner like we do at the moment just seems tinpot. We have a stadium with a lot of potential, and I feel like we don't reach it whatsoever.

1678451797385.png

@Sky Blue Pete please can you contact the club? Happy to be on the planning committee!

Grendel

One of the best atmosphere's at a stadium I have experienced was HSV (Hamburg). They have a standing terrace like the image below. Would love to have something like this at the CBS (probably south stand). No idea where you would put the away fans, but for me, having a 'hardcore' corner like we do at the moment just seems tinpot. We have a stadium with a lot of potential, and I feel like we don't reach it whatsoever.

View attachment 28680

@Sky Blue Pete please can you contact the club? Happy to be on the planning committee!

IRA Dave probably will as well.

Sky Blue Pete

View attachment 28680

They’ll be a supporters forum soon. When wasps were in charge there was no thought to entertain it I wonder if that may change. Obviously it’s frasers group that Own the stadium not ccfc

Users who are viewing this thread