Sparkies (1 Viewer)

Marty

Need a little advice.

Looking at adding 3 additional sockets. I have an unfused spur in the attic running of my ring circuit. I wanted to run the new sockets from this socket in the attic. Am I correct in thinking that if I put a 13 AMP FCU in between the main and the first socket I can run as many sockets off that as I want as long as I don't exceed the load of the fuse?

I'll be running a TV, computer console, 'mood' lighting and the TV aerial booster box. So I'll be way under what it could potentially take.

skybluetony176

Don't think so. It sounds like you're trying to run a radial of ring. The cable in a ring from memory can only take the current (32amps usually) because it is a ring. If you chuck 32amps down a radial you'll burn the cable out and the more sockets you add the worse it will get.

rondog1973

Need a little advice.

Looking at adding 3 additional sockets. I have an unfused spur in the attic running of my ring circuit. I wanted to run the new sockets from this socket in the attic. Am I correct in thinking that if I put a 13 AMP FCU in between the main and the first socket I can run as many sockets off that as I want as long as I don't exceed the load of the fuse?

I'll be running a TV, computer console, 'mood' lighting and the TV aerial booster box. So I'll be way under what it could potentially take.
Nope.

You cannot spur off a spur.

Throws the circuit out of balance.

Marty

Just an update if anyone stumbles across this thread in the future.

The stuff in the original post is correct, you can spur of one socket as many times as you like as long as it doesn't exceed the number of sockets on the original circuit and it's protected by a FCU.

rondog1973

Just an update if anyone stumbles across this thread in the future.

The stuff in the original post is correct, you can spur of one socket as many times as you like as long as it doesn't exceed the number of sockets on the original circuit and it's protected by a FCU.
First I've heard. I'm going by 17th edition regs and haven't worked in the industry for the best part of 10 years now mind.

Users who are viewing this thread