State of the pitch (1 Viewer)

skybluejelly

I know pressley alluded to it in his press conference... But the state of the pitch is shocking ... It is still really worn out where the wear marks were when we first moved back... It is really going to be dreadful once the rugby starts

theferret

I know pressley alluded to it in his press conference... But the state of the pitch is shocking ... It is still really worn out where the wear marks were when we first moved back... It is really going to be dreadful once the rugby starts

Don't think I've ever seen a pitch as bad as that in early November.

Terry Gibson's perm

Maybe Wasps will just spend more money on the pitch and it may even get a little better either that or time to change the way we play.

chiefdave

Maybe Wasps will just spend more money on the pitch and it may even get a little better either that or time to change the way we play.

Think they've said that the pitch will be replaced with a different type of pitch but I imagine that won't happen until next season. Isn't it more down to that bloody tent they had on the pitch than the number of games being played on it, can't imagine they're going to do that again, at least not without ore protection for the pitch.

wingy

Clearly ACL haven't maintained It to the levels prior to our leaving or through out the rent Strike.

Couple that with all the other matches committed to prior to our sudden return and It's not surprising ,does look Shitty though .

So after making sure Sixfields was like a Billiard table ,how come we abandoned It so suddenly??

wingy

Think they've said that the pitch will be replaced with a different type of pitch but I imagine that won't happen until next season. Isn't it more down to that bloody tent they had on the pitch than the number of games being played on it, can't imagine they're going to do that again, at least not without ore protection for the pitch.

No ,It's more widespread than those two stripes due to the walkways around the Structures used for that Gaming event ,more general over the whole central and Goal areas.

chiefdave

No ,It's more widespread than those two stripes due to the walkways around the Structures used for that Gaming event ,more general over the whole central and Goal areas.

Maybe we should phone Northampton and see if we can have the pitch we paid for.

pusbccfc

anybody know if the stupid tent is going back up when the insomnia gaming festival returns later this month

Now the Wasps own the stadium, I doubt they will allow people on the pitch.

Qwerty70

Was at a forum last night with Wasps and they are aware pitch is bad and they are going to try and protect as much as possible. The actual statement was "the pitch isn't suitable for world class rugby or league two football!" I either missed our relegation or bloke from wasps has a crystal ball .....

ecky

Almost a ploughed field in some parts, no excuses for that.
Has to get worse as the season goes on..

skybluetony176

Apparently there was an unscheduled game last Friday night in the rain and it cut the pitch up really bad according to SP after the game on CWR.

Otis

Clearly ACL haven't maintained It to the levels prior to our leaving or through out the rent Strike.

Couple that with all the other matches committed to prior to our sudden return and It's not surprising ,does look Shitty though .

So after making sure Sixfields was like a Billiard table ,how come we abandoned It so suddenly??

It's not that, Wingy, it's that it is now getting overused. Two game festivals on it that cut up the pitch and there was also a game last Tuesday (West brom U21's?), then Friday and then of course on Sunday (Worcester) and then last night.

It simply isn't getting time to recover after matches and the events it is being used for.

letsallsingtogether

It's not that, Wingy, it's that it is now getting overused. Two game festivals on it that cut up the pitch and there was also a game last Tuesday (West brom U21's?), then Friday and then of course on Sunday (Worcester) and then last night.

It simply isn't getting time to recover after matches and the events it is being used for.

And people laughed at a retractable pitch:whistle:

olderskyblue

Excuses.

We used to play 30 a side as kids every day over River Walk, and we never complained, no matter how bad the field got.... ;)

chiefdave

Why can't they take that pitch out and drop in another one that's been grown elsewhere? Is it just down to cost?

torchomatic

The Ricoh pitch would have been described as a carpet in the 70s/80s

Don't think I've ever seen a pitch as bad as that in early November.

Hobo

"Happy" memories of the Baseball Ground in the 70's.

You could count the blades of grass on the fingers of one hand.

And that was first home game of the saeason lol
They were also one of the most entertaining sides, very attacking football, but real battlers as well. It says something when a lot of fans from other clubs could probably still real off most of their team...Green, Mackey, Todd, Gemmill, O'Hare, Hinton, Davies, McGovern....well at least the spine of it, written as they came into my head so not positionally.

skybluejelly

don't get me wrong I remember highfield road being pure sand ... but there was such a hullabaloo about the magnificent pitch at the ricoh being unused while we were away its no better than before we left

duffer

I think this is all part of the fun and games of being a tenant. ACL/Wasps are going to seek to maximise return from the facility now, and our concerns about the pitch won't be foremost in their minds. For rugby, I've always thought that as long as the pitch will take a stud, then that's good enough -- it's not like the ball rolls properly anyway. Maybe the game's moved on though...

Regardless, it's likely to be an early indication of how the partnership between Wasps and CCFC is working. I think there's been talk about laying a Desso pitch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desso_GrassMaster) which would be pricy but hardwearing. However, the suggestion is that Wasps would want to see a long term commitment from CCFC before going to that expense.

Fwiw, I think this means we'll be playing on a pretty crappy pitch for the rest of the season - not Baseball Ground crappy, but certainly not well suited to the short-passing, on-the-deck game that SP seems to want to play.

Raggs

Rugby clubs might vary the grass length, but they'll want grass and good root structure, more important in rugby than football, so I suspect it's one of the top priorities for wasps to try and fix.

Users who are viewing this thread