Steven Pressley Love In (1 Viewer)

mark82

Firstly, let me clarify I think he is still the right man to take us forward , but..... What is with the Steven Pressley love in? It's been a terrible season but he seems to have been absolved of any blame. Yes our owners are terrible but it surely shouldn't free him of any blame.

First half of the season was good. This proves we have a squad capable of pushing up the higher end of this league. This squad minus one player has been about the worst in the league since the turn of the year. Surely questions have to be asked for that alone?

Then there are his signings. Can anyone name a good Steven Pressley signing, either on loan or permanent. Maybe Marshall but jury still out. Any others?

My biggest gripe is the negative messages he has given out after saying he was going to bring a winning attitude. Firstly, when we were still well within touch of the play offs he publicly wrote off our chances. Hardly what a winner would do. Then recently he has stated he will be celebrating finishing a handful of points off relegation in what I believe is the 3rd or 4th worst position in our clubs history. Again, hardly a winning attitude.

As I say, still think he is the right man at the moment but certainly some fairly major things he needs to work on else he will find himself unemployed fairly promptly.

LJC_CCFC

Not a coincidence that it was after those comments about not having a chance of the play offs that our season fell away. Sends a negative message to players and fans, as did playing 5 at the back against relegation fodder like Crewe and Stevenage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Easy to say that about his press comments with hindsight to be fair, I think there are other issues with his leadership so far (mostly our attacking threat without Leon and our defence) but overall I think he's worth another year. Extraordinary circumstances this year, let's see how he does with a blank slate. I'd expect him to get at least the Leon cash plus anything else raised over the summer.

Of course, considering we've let our top scorer go in January every year since Fisher took over, there's a question of whether he will actually get a proper season or whether he'll just have to do better in similar circumstances.

spider_ricoh

Firstly, let me clarify I think he is still the right man to take us forward "I'm not a racist, BUT", but..... What is with the Steven Pressley love in?

It's been a terrible season but he seems to have been absolved of any blame. Yes our owners are terrible but it surely shouldn't free him of any blame.

First half of the season was good. Really? Above you stated that the whole season was "terrible" This proves we have a squad capable of pushing up the higher end of this league. It doesn't prove anything - it shows we had a method that it took a good while for other teams to work out and counter (as happened under Boothroyd). In oru case, the way our top two worked was key, as our whole system was built on the relationship between Wilson and Clarke. This squad minus one player has been about the worst in the league since the turn of the year. Surely questions have to be asked for that alone?

Then there are his signings. Can anyone name a good Steven Pressley signing, either on loan or permanent. Maybe Marshall but jury still out. Any others? Petrasso, Dagnall, McGuire, Robinson

Extraordinary circumstances this year, let's see how he does with a blank slate.

If we play again at Sixfields next year, we will be in the same situation. A low budget preventing the team and manager achieving their potential. If SP struggles and is fired before we return to the Ricoh, his tenure will always have the caveat of "how would he have done without points deductions / Sixfields / budet cuts".

Given our track record of firing managers, this has to be a worry for him.

Last edited:

Rusty Trombone

We only finished a handful of points off relegation due to the 10 points deduction. Wilson was also missing at the same time that Clarke went, what other team could cope with losing the two top league scorers?

I don't think you can call the season terrible, especially when you even say the first half was good. What we should have learnt over the years is that constantly changing manager isn't helping.

We have to come to terms with the fact that at the moment we have a squad that isn't going to be favourites to get promoted, play offs would be an excellent achievement, but staying in League 1 is something that can't be taken for granted.

RegTheDonk

While we looked OK up until Christmas, it was mainly due to scoring more than we let in. I know others chipped in (Moose, Baker etc) but Wilson getting crocked and Clarke leaving really upset the strike force and we never seemed to get it right afterwards.

So my main concern is that Elvis, while you'd think he would be good at this as he plied his trade as a defender, hasn't had much clue in stopping the goals. If not for Murphy, I think we'd have gone down. Not rocket science but he needs to prove he can address this or, even without a 10 point deduction, we will struggle next year.

Paxman II

He has been remarkably calm given the circumstances. He over achieved in the first part of the season, largely thanks to the Clarke/Wilson partnership. But we did kick on from that momentum for a while and confidence was high. When Wolves turned Clarkes head we all must have feared the worst. And so it proved. Wilson's injury compounded it and even Brendan Rodgers would struggle with the loss of Sturridge and Suarez at the same time!
He did comment on the playoffs that day and I actually mentioned this as my first criticism of him at the time. I think he is a good coach with very good people skills and on nearly every occasion after match press statements have been accurate and honest, somehow always finding a positive about his team.
As for loans, what could he do? It was an impossible task. The only fault I found after that was the sudden dropping of key players who had effected the success early in the season such as Adams, Baker, Seabourne etc. That killed the cohesion he had and the winning mentality, along with the loss and Clarke and Wilson. I hope he reflects on that.
But given the tools he had and we are not around this group of players daily he has done very well and I look forward to see what he can do next season without the -10 from the get go. Sometimes knowing you have -10 to catch up is a motivator in itself.
I like him and his blend of football was very good and entertaining. If the opposition scored we would score more approach. In this league that's all you need to do.
Lets not forget the players shoulder a lot of responsibility and it can not have been easy for them playing under the 'cloud' that has hung over the club all year and 35 miles away when a great stadium they must dream about is just down the road. We must at times have felt like we were always second best. What kept their spirits high apart from the Clarke/Wilson partnership must have been the away support, reminding them this is not a small club but a big club with major problems but a step away potentially from getting back on track.
We will need to invest wisely and well for next season and start well. There can be no excuses if we are not a contender in this league. If we can gather that momentum we may, just may do what Nigel Adkins did at Southampton. That irony would not be lost on anyone if it happens as Southampton were the club SISU backed away from before tying themselves up with Ray Ranson at Coventry.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Firstly, let me clarify I think he is still the right man to take us forward , but..... What is with the Steven Pressley love in? It's been a terrible season but he seems to have been absolved of any blame. Yes our owners are terrible but it surely shouldn't free him of any blame.

First half of the season was good. This proves we have a squad capable of pushing up the higher end of this league. This squad minus one player has been about the worst in the league since the turn of the year. Surely questions have to be asked for that alone?

Then there are his signings. Can anyone name a good Steven Pressley signing, either on loan or permanent. Maybe Marshall but jury still out. Any others?

My biggest gripe is the negative messages he has given out after saying he was going to bring a winning attitude. Firstly, when we were still well within touch of the play offs he publicly wrote off our chances. Hardly what a winner would do. Then recently he has stated he will be celebrating finishing a handful of points off relegation in what I believe is the 3rd or 4th worst position in our clubs history. Again, hardly a winning attitude.

As I say, still think he is the right man at the moment but certainly some fairly major things he needs to work on else he will find himself unemployed fairly promptly.

I said the other day

Pressley has a habit of playing down our chances and being extra critical of the team when we are high on confidence, when we are playing poor he overpraises everything the team do and tries to build the team up.

Whether that is the right thing to do or not I'm unsure

BackRoomRummermill

I cant believe this thread, the man SP has had to go to hell and back this season with everyone else having a head start .

Were you expecting promotion?

ccfc_Tom

Would have been 9th with the 10 points and we lost our top scorer who would have made an impact had he played.

LJC_CCFC

I cant believe this thread, the man SP has had to go to hell and back this season with everyone else having a head start .

Were you expecting promotion?

I was mainly questioning his selection decisions and tactics since Clarke's departure. I don't think anyone expected promotion or the play offs, but he seemingly changed what was a winning formula. I think every City fan acknowledges what an achievement staying up was, and ultimately that was down to Pressley

Delboycov

I think he's done a decent job given the circumstances but let's not pretend it's been a good season because it hasn't. I feel tactically he was naive 2nd half of the season and some of his team selections have to be questioned. Having said that no manager in the history of CCFC has had to face so many off the field problems and the fact we stayed up means he definitely deserves another season.

FRY-CCFC

Not a coincidence that it was after those comments about not having a chance of the play offs that our season fell away. Sends a negative message to players and fans, as did playing 5 at the back against relegation fodder like Crewe and Stevenage

You ain't got a clue mate.

ccfcway

Considering some of the sh*t we have in charge over the past 15/20 years, a win % of 20% could be considered respectful....

I would suggest that as a club, we cant accept winning a little over 1/3 of our games in League One.

Not blaming pressley, but that stat should not be acceptable for CCFC in League One. Our owners need to consider if they actually want us to compete on the field !

shmmeee

ha, classic !

I didn't say I expected the club to meet my expectations. ;)

That is what they've said isn't it? That the Leon cash is available. To be fair they've not been particularly stingy in pre season before, just tend to clam up an sell players mid season.

mark82

I was mainly questioning his selection decisions and tactics since Clarke's departure. I don't think anyone expected promotion or the play offs, but he seemingly changed what was a winning formula. I think every City fan acknowledges what an achievement staying up was, and ultimately that was down to Pressley

I would say staying up after the -10 was minimum requirement. Even with a depleted squad we have better players than the majority of teams in our league.

mark82

I would suggest that as a club, we cant accept winning a little over 1/3 of our games in League One.

Not blaming pressley, but that stat should not be acceptable for CCFC in League One. Our owners need to consider if they actually want us to compete on the field !

Exactly. A lot of it is off field issues but Pressley and the team must share some of the blame also. If we accept mediocrity we will never improve.

wozey

Yes the comments about promotion put me off him a bit but he may have been told promotion was not the plan and to back off the push who knows. That said next season I personally will take nothing less then a proper promotion push with no excuses, because that's what we've become good at and I think it's about time us fans demanded more from our playing staff because when I'm at work and and people make excuses for my poor performance I have no need to work to my potential do i so demand more and stop criticising people for constructive criticism next season and that also stands for team management

torchomatic

Aaaarrrggh! FFS, stop talking about Eric Black as if was some kind of superbeing. He wasn't. He was here for a very short time. No one know what would have happened if he'd stayed. It's just nostalgia like playing outside in the streets until it was dark when you were a kid. Same with Robins to an extent. He wasn't here over a long enough period to judge.

I know you're joking, but Pressley is more Boothroyd or Coleman than Robins or Black in those terms.

Lorksalordy

Even with a depleted squad we have better players than the majority of teams in our league.

I just don't see this especially with the desperate nature of the majority of the loans. Wilson, Murphy and Moussa (10% of the time when on form) could get in most squads in the league but who else ?

I would say all things taken into account we had a mid table squad at best.

stupot07

I just don't see this especially with the desperate nature of the majority of the loans. Wilson, Murphy and Moussa (10% of the time when on form) could get in most squads in the league but who else ?

I would say all things taken into account we had a mid table squad at best.

Agreed. I think we tend to over rate our players a tad.

And it's also about the right blend of players. Even at our best early in the season, we had the worst defensive record in the league, because both the back 4 and the midfield are defensively and to an extent physically weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

ryb1983ccfc

This thread is ridiculous! the fact that we would have finished 9th if it was not for the deduction would have been good enough for me so let's all get a grip shall we!

ollyservetta

This thread is ridiculous! the fact that we would have finished 9th if it was not for the deduction would have been good enough for me so let's all get a grip shall we!
,,,in all honesty glad the seasons over .hopefully we will start next season on a better footing ,but if still at sixfields ,well that's a set back from the start .however ,if forgetting the deduction and as you say finishing 9th ,well id like to think we are more ambitious than that .to slip to the levels we have and never been in a playoff is a disgrace .its one thing to go on about Clarke and Wilson ,but its up to the club to replace and play to our strengths .we have been woeful in some games ,.just to finish with a plus goal difference would be nice ,

Spionkop

Without a shadow of a doubt it is the worst season in the club's history.
No disrespect to Elvis, he did the best he could in awful conditions.
If it is Sixfields next season expect it to get worse.
FFP makes that inevitable.
When will this madness end?

dongonzalos

Without a shadow of a doubt it is the worst season in the club's history.
No disrespect to Elvis, he did the best he could in awful conditions.
If it is Sixfields next season expect it to get worse.
FFP makes that inevitable.
When will this madness end?

One more season I think

Users who are viewing this thread