Summer recruitment (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Why the fuck would we let Walker go for free when we signed him for 750k 2 years ago and he was our top scorer last year?
I didn't say free. I said we'd take a big hit. If MR no longer has faith in him and wants rid to use his wages on other options we're going to have to pretty much take what's on offer. I think he'll generate interest, but I doubt teams will want to pay a decent fee AND similar wages. Not like he's making much of an impression at Pompey.

cc84cov

I didn't say free. I said we'd take a big hit. If MR no longer has faith in him and wants rid to use his wages on other options we're going to have to pretty much take what's on offer. I think he'll generate interest, but I doubt teams will want to pay a decent fee AND similar wages. Not like he's making much of an impression at Pompey.
He won’t be back til tomorrow now mate he runs off after daft comments and then slides back in once it’s safe 🤣

SBT

Why the fuck would we let Walker go for free when we signed him for 750k 2 years ago and he was our top scorer last year?

Walker would no doubt command a fee. But his struggles at Portsmouth (and the subsequent dent to his value) shows that the lazy cliche of “He needs a loan” isn’t the fix-all that people like to think it is.

Saddlebrains

Whos paying for him? We clearly don't want him, hes not championship quality and is struggling to get minutes for a mid table league 1 team you quilt

Blind-Faith

Get rid of all the deadwood. Happy to get Jcs on a perm , Maatsen back for another year.

Then if we manage to keep hold of the big three of Hamer, Ohare and Vik I would say one more top quality attacking midfielder and a CB then I’d be ok with that.

As mentioned we have Eccles and maybe Howley as-well to cover for Hamer and Sheaf with Allen able to do a job dropping back.

We really aren’t that far away, we just need to add Quality and not Quantity.

Suppose we will also have Bapaga and Burroughs back and possibly pushing for the first team aswell??

Liquid Gold

MR isn't afraid to take the loss if he thinks it will improve the squad. JCH was let go for nothing 6 months after we paid money for him (he was on loan initially).

If the difference between us adding someone he fancies was Walker's wages I doubt he'd hesitate.

Of course we would try and get some fee for him initially.

Ccfcisparks

Whos paying for him? We clearly don't want him, hes not championship quality and is struggling to get minutes for a mid table league 1 team you quilt
The fact you think we wouldn’t get any money for him says it all, we were gonna get 100k for Shipley in January. Stick to F1

higgs

He's a finisher when he gets a run of games but his overall contribution doesn't seem to fit our style unfortunately

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

KenilworthSkyBlue

I think getting a reasonable fee will be more difficult than people suggest, as the main issue with finding him a suitor will be his wages.

As considering his likely destination would be L1, his contract will be far above what most in the league would be willing and able to pay.

Also, at the end of the day Walker would be well within his rights to ask to stay and demand another loan in order to maximise his earnings, which wouldn't be ideal as we're still still with a portion of his wages.

The fact he's not in Robins' plans and only has one year left on his contract reduces whatever value he has left quite significantly as well.

God knows whether we'll get a fee or not but if I had to put money on it, even if in the event we did get a fee it would be a fraction of what we initially paid for him.

Greggs

Walker will be ideal for a league 1 team that gets a lot of penalties.

cc84cov

I think getting a reasonable fee will be more difficult than people suggest, as the main issue with finding him a suitor will be his wages.

As considering his likely destination would be L1, his contract will be far above what most in the league would be willing and able to pay.

Also, at the end of the day Walker would be well within his rights to ask to stay and demand another loan in order to maximise his earnings, which wouldn't be ideal as we're still still with a portion of his wages.

The fact he's not in Robins' plans and only has one year left on his contract reduces whatever value he has left quite significantly as well.

God knows whether we'll get a fee or not but if I had to put money on it, even if in the event we did get a fee it would be a fraction of what we initially paid for him.
We will be lucky to get 250k back for him

rexo87

So far for next season we have

GK

Moore
Wilson
Bilson
Tyler

RWB

Dabo
Kane
Dacosta
Burroughs

LWB

Bidwell
Reid

CB

Rose
Hyam
Drysdale

CM

Kelly
Sheaf
Hamer
Allen
Eccles
Howley

CAM

Ohare
Dinanga
Rus
Bapaga
Hillsner

ST

Gyokeres
Godden
Waghorn
Walker
Tavares
Cashman

Out of contract

McFadzean
Rowe
Pask
G. Burroughs
Mcgrath
Shipley
Ngandu
Finnegan
Jones
Evans Harriot
Nee

Out of those I would only offer another year to Rowe and Burroughs who have both had a good year in the 23s (Rowe now on loan at Ayr).

In terms of the under contract players + those 2 I think we still have quite a bloated squad and should probably try to shift a fair few out.

Dacosta (I actually don't mind him and think he offers something different but Robins doesn't trust him)

Drysdale (it's just not going to work out here for him. Not very close to championship level)

Kelly (misses half the season with injuries and not good enough for a top half championship side. Thanks for the memories but time to move on)

Dinanga (weird signing as we don't play wingers)

Hillsner (no explanation needed)

Walker (just doesn't suit us. Hopefully get a few quid back)

Waghorn (past it, poor signing)

Then look to loan out a few of the below or a season of 23s football.

Bilson
Rowe
G Burroughs
Reid
Howley
Rus
Bapaga
Cashman

I then think we are looking at the below for signings.

Definitely

2 x CB leaving us with 4. Would be happy for one to be JCS.

1 x LWB

1/2 CAM's depending on if we plan to play the box or 2 up top

1 ST leaving us with 4 including Tavares

In an ideal world

1 x GK - Moore has disappointed me in recent weeks. Could do with a decent number 2 to challenge him

1 x RWB - not sure either Dabo or kane are the answer

I'm happy with our central midfield with Eccles available as well however we may need 1 more for depth

Ideal Team

Moore

Hyam New CB JCS
New RWB Bidwell

Hamer Sheaf

Ohare New CAM

Vik

Bench: New GK, Dabo, New CB, Allen, New CAM, Godden, New ST

Sorry for long post, just thinking out loud!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Walsgrave

We have to balance expectations and reality.

We aren’t going to get millions from SISU to sign loads of players.

One thing I’d be doing right now is having a thorough look at all of the Chelsea youth / fringe players who may be available.

Many of the 20/21/22 year olds will have known Ady well and will be now within a Chelsea set up where a degree of uncertainty has set in.

Who will buy them? Will they be asset stripped? These are questions that will have crept into minds there from back room staff to players to agents.

Another year of Maatsen wouldn’t go amiss, JCS on a perm.

Billy Gilmour could be a marquee loan signing to pep the midfield.

I always thought Dujon Sterling looked ok.

Levi Colwill anyone?

Jude Spoonsup-Bell is a young striker worth a loan. Over 6 foot so might add a dimension.

Other than that we need to look to shift out as much deadwood as possible so that we’ve potential to get youngish players in to the squad to maximise development.

Waghorn - out if we can. He might come good but we need to have put his budget towards an Adebayo (Luton now, I mean whilst at Walsall) type player. Younger, bigger, sellable.

Fadz - pay as you play / low retainer plus apps.

Walker - think we might have to bite the bullet.

Jodi - he really needed a 3 month loan earlier in the season to L2/VNL imo.

Shipley - probably off.

Pask, Dacosta, Hilssner, etc. - thanks, bye. Shame about Pask. Thought he might make it as a CB / RCB.

Drysdale, Burroughs. - back, evaluate, possibly loan out again.

Cashman - no idea tbh.

We need to try to get another McAllum type gem rather than splurging on Waghorn type journeymen.
Chelsea's best youth prospects have all had a loan in the Championship and I suspect they will be looking to do the same for the up-and-coming crop. Soonsup Bell is a good shout, as are Lewis Hall (still only a first year scholar) and Harvey Vale.

SBT

GK

Moore
Wilson
Bilson
Tyler

RWB

Dabo
Kane
Dacosta
Burroughs

LWB

Bidwell
Reid

CB

Rose
Hyam
Drysdale

CM

Kelly
Sheaf
Hamer
Allen
Eccles
Howley

CAM

Ohare
Dinanga
Rus
Bapaga
Hillsner

ST

Gyokeres
Godden
Waghorn
Walker
Tavares
Cashman

Out of contract

McFadzean
Rowe
Pask
G. Burroughs
Mcgrath
Shipley
Ngandu
Finnegan
Jones
Evans Harriot
Nee

Out of those I would only offer another year to Rowe and Burroughs who have both had a good year in the 23s (Rowe now on loan at Ayr).

In terms of the under contract players + those 2 I think we still have quite a bloated squad and should probably try to shift a fair few out.

Dacosta (I actually don't mind him and think he offers something different but Robins doesn't trust him)

Drysdale (it's just not going to work out here for him. Not very close to championship level)

Kelly (misses half the season with injuries and not good enough for a top half championship side. Thanks for the memories but time to move on)

Bilson
Rowe
G Burroughs
Reid
Howley
Rus
Bapaga
Cashman

Definitely

1 x LWB

In an ideal world

1 x GK - Moore has disappointed me in recent weeks. Could do with a decent number 2 to challenge him

I'm happy with our central midfield with Eccles available as well however we may need 1 more for depth

Ideal Team

Moore

Hyam New CB JCS
New RWB Bidwell

Hamer Sheaf

Ohare New CAM

Vik

There’s no way on earth we’re going to sign three new starters, plus JCS, plus four new bench players. Going to have to get a lot more out the door than Waghorn, Walker and the U23 scrubs to even come close to that.

Also, we can’t start with 12 players.

shmmeee

GK

Moore
Wilson
Bilson
Tyler

RWB

Dabo
Kane
Dacosta
Burroughs

LWB

Bidwell
Reid

CB

Rose
Hyam
Drysdale

CM

Kelly
Sheaf
Hamer
Allen
Eccles
Howley

CAM

Ohare
Dinanga
Rus
Bapaga
Hillsner

ST

Gyokeres
Godden
Waghorn
Walker
Tavares
Cashman

Out of contract

McFadzean
Rowe
Pask
G. Burroughs
Mcgrath
Shipley
Ngandu
Finnegan
Jones
Evans Harriot
Nee

Bilson
Rowe
G Burroughs
Reid
Howley
Rus
Bapaga
Cashman

Definitely

1 x LWB

In an ideal world

Ideal Team

Moore

Hyam New CB JCS
New RWB Bidwell

Hamer Sheaf

Ohare New CAM

Vik

Other than swap a CAM for a CM who can stand in for Hamer and ultimately replace him when he’s sold, I’d agree with all of that. Maybe keep Nee, he was doing well further down the age groups IIRC.

I can’t see us shipping out all those players though, I expect 2/3 still to be with us. Personally I’d get rid of Allen as well, but that’s unlikely to happen.

8 in and maybe 4/5 out almost certainly on lower wages. Can’t see us getting that investment on top of the pitch and the training ground requests.

shmmeee

There’s no way on earth we’re going to sign three new starters, plus JCS, plus four new bench players. Going to have to get a lot more out the door than Waghorn, Walker and the U23 scrubs to even come close to that.

That team is eleven…

SBT

GK is fine

The defence clearly requires a permanent solution at LCB, and we’ll have to see how McFadzean finishes the season

I imagine we will muddle along with the midfield as it is

Up front we’ve spent, um, ‘big’ money on four players and still seem to be no closer to a preferred partnership or strategy - I imagine the big moves (both inbound and outbound) will come here

shmmeee

GK is fine

The defence clearly requires a permanent solution at LCB, and we’ll have to see how McFadzean finishes the season

I imagine we will muddle along with the midfield as it is

Up front we’ve spent, um, ‘big’ money on four players and still seem to be no closer to a preferred partnership or strategy - I imagine the big moves (both inbound and outbound) will come here

Robins has form for buying strikers and not knowing what to do with them. For a former striker the attacking play has always been surprisingly poor. I’d like to see us get some kind of attacking coach in (and that bloke who does the throw in routines).

KenilworthSkyBlue

I suspect 5-6 signings will probably do. CB, LWB, CM, CAM, ST is what we certainly need from the offset.

If players are sold which is fairly likely we'll obviously need replacements for them as well.

Keep on saying it though we need to be proactive with regards to finding permanent clubs for as many of the bomb squad as possible. Otherwise if not I fear it's going to be a long hard summer for Robins.

slowpoke

I would think Robins has targets based on what division we are in which is now almost certain to be championship I’d hope this has been discussed with Boddy and our owner and costed, better players don’t come cheap and command wages at the top end of our pay scale signing 5/6 would be a significant rise in our wage budget, certainly higher than this seasons. Six players is likely to put around £60k a week on the wage bill.
Time will tell I suppose.

Last edited:

rexo87

I don't think 8 signings is unrealistic really. But one of Hamer Ohare or Gyok will probably be sold

rexo87

Other than swap a CAM for a CM who can stand in for Hamer and ultimately replace him when he’s sold, I’d agree with all of that. Maybe keep Nee, he was doing well further down the age groups IIRC.

I can’t see us shipping out all those players though, I expect 2/3 still to be with us. Personally I’d get rid of Allen as well, but that’s unlikely to happen.

8 in and maybe 4/5 out almost certainly on lower wages. Can’t see us getting that investment on top of the pitch and the training ground requests.
Yeah probably right. Letting Nee go is based on him hardly getting a game for the 23s.

I agree on Allen to an extent as he shouldn't be in a top half championship side but he's quite a useful player to have in the squad.

skybluegod

Robins has form for buying strikers and not knowing what to do with them. For a former striker the attacking play has always been surprisingly poor. I’d like to see us get some kind of attacking coach in (and that bloke who does the throw in routines).

Not sure I agree, not sure we can say our attacking play has been poor with 2 promotions in 3 years. And then the limited players/budget for the championship in comparison to competitors.

The reality is its the hardest position to recruit for though. Everyone is looking for the cheapest solution possible to scoring goals, much harder to find a good striker than it is a good CB for example. So unfortunately we will have more hits than misses. I'd also say that before Robins you only have to look at the Rubbish we signed up front... He's recruited 3 good strikers for the level we were at at: McNulty, Godden and Vik. Not a bad record all in all. It's elsewhere on the pitch we need better contributions I agree, but then again it comes back to limitations of players at this level.

NorthernWisdom

Not sure I agree, not sure we can say our attacking play has been poor with 2 promotions in 3 years. And then the limited players/budget for the championship in comparison to competitors.

The reality is its the hardest position to recruit for though. Everyone is looking for the cheapest solution possible to scoring goals, much harder to find a good striker than it is a good CB for example. So unfortunately we will have more hits than misses. I'd also say that before Robins you only have to look at the Rubbish we signed up front... He's recruited 3 good strikers for the level we were at at: McNulty, Godden and Vik. Not a bad record all in all. It's elsewhere on the pitch we need better contributions I agree, but then again it comes back to limitations of players at this level.
What he does seem to have a blind spot for is buying forwards with good goalscoring records, and trying to get them to adapt their game into something they're not really. I guess he'd argue it's trying to improve them, but we've had JCH, Chaplin, and Walker all come in and arguably gone backwards with us.

shmmeee

I dont think we have poor strikers I just think our style of play doesn’t suit strikers. Our promotions were won on dominating play and 1 goal wins really, we rarely win or lose by more than the odd goal.

The Philosopher

It’s not necessarily the quality of strikers is the balance of the type of strikers that had me scratching my head.

We had at the start of the season a few no 10 types (players that wouldn’t look out of place up front in a 10 role)

Walker
Godden
(Waghorn - see below)
Bright (read last sentence above and no one knew he was going to go AWOL)

Then, in emergency

Tavares
Jones
Rus

Etc.

I’m not counting Allen & Maatsen.

And only one who could play no.9

Gyok

No one in the u23’s.

This severely limits how we can play, particularly in Gyok is injured or just burnt out as he is.

So we sign Waghorn, who is never a no 9. I pointed this out and got the dribblers telling me I’m clueless.

Why we in the winter window go and sign Bidwell where JCS or Shipley (at a push) or Maatsen can play there, and we don’t get a no9 in baffles me totally.

I don’t blame SISU, as Boddy says they give the team a free reign to sign whoever within the budget (his words).

I blame COVID. BBC reporting today that it shrinks the brain for a while; our transfer team must have been riddled with COVID.

slowpoke

I would say Robins’ striker recruitment isn’t that bad Godden & Gyokeres have been a success Walker so far not, Waghorn 50/50, Bakayoko poor, as said signing strikers is the hardest position to fill, I remember Kevin Drinkell, scored for fun at Norwich @ Rangers scored four in his first few games here then zilch.”

The Philosopher

I would say Robins’ striker recruitment isn’t that bad Godden & Gyokeres have been a success Walker so far not, Waghorn 50/50, Bakayoko poor, as said signing strikers is the hardest position to fill, I remember Kevin Drinkell, scored for fun at Norwich @ Rangers scored four in his first few games here then zilch.”
I remember Drinkell signing. We had a habit of signing good top division scorers and then they went to sugar. Bannister anyone? Quinn was mighty for a while and then went off the boil.

Terry Gibson's perm

I think if they want to make the first team squad stronger then the easiest saving is on the under 23’s they could cut that right to the bone and any serial under 23 players that don’t seem to get near the first team must be got rid of like Ngandu and players like Drysdale who the club club have moved on to quickly for.

Users who are viewing this thread