Sunday roasts ranked. (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

I was put off cauliflower when I used to work at a holiday camp. I moved out of the awful barracks within a week but we were allowed free lunches. The guy I shared with that one week on Sunday put gravy on his dinner and then salad cream on top which he mushed up his cauliflower with
I can't imagine you as a bluecoat

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

OffenhamSkyBlue

The routine in our house is to ensure there is plenty of veg left over on Sundays, then on Mondays we have the cold meat, with a heap of sauteed potatoes and all the re-fried veg, with a pile of home-made tomato chutley. It's one of the highlights of our week!
Missus says "if we'd been told as kids that one day we'd take cold brussels and fry them, we'd have thought they were mad!"

skybluesam66

Gammon
Lamb
Beef
Chicken
Duck
Venison
Pork
Gravel
Soil
Wood
The plate the food comes on
The tin or dish it’s cooked in
The cutlery
The neighbour’s Labrador
Turkey
surprised you have venison on the list
I would like to try it but its deer

As regards Turkey, number 1 for me
As regards the neighbours labrador, now if it was on a kebab!

fernandopartridge

Either veal or beef for me
Veal is more commonly eaten over there isn't it? I quite like it (saltimbocca is one of my favourite Italian dishes) but it is difficult to source here. Last time I had to drive miles to the only Waitrose in Greater Manchester

jimmyhillsfanclub

Do the Italians still do white veal or have they seen the light....and allowed the cows to too?

Even though they banned the veal crate across the EU, I'm still not comfortable eating veal reared in france, holland, spain etc. as many aspects of production still appear cruel.

Sick Boy

Do the Italians still do white veal or have they seen the light....and allowed the cows to too?

Even though they banned the veal crate across the EU, I'm still not comfortable eating veal reared in france, holland, spain etc. as many aspects of production still appear cruel.
Presumably you only eat free range meat and eggs direct from a source you fully trust then?
Any sort of mass meat production is going to be cruel, unfortunately. There are horror stories reported from all countries.

Sick Boy

Veal is more commonly eaten over there isn't it? I quite like it (saltimbocca is one of my favourite Italian dishes) but it is difficult to source here. Last time I had to drive miles to the only Waitrose in Greater Manchester

Yeah it’s much more commonly eaten here but the quality of meat in supermarkets isn’t great, so worth trying to source a decent butcher or finding a decent contact.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Presumably you only eat free range meat and eggs direct from a source you fully trust then?
Any sort of mass meat production is going to be cruel, unfortunately. There are horror stories reported from all countries.

As it happens SB, we do. Very lucky to be able to afford/select quality meat from the local independent butcher. Only eat meat twice a week usually, although that has dropped off since the lockdown as our butchers has been overwhelmed with new business which is great for them, but trickier for us.
I'm not getting preachy....but european veal production is a particularly troublesome production method ......but it doesn't have to be.....UK free range rose veal tastes great.

NorthernWisdom

As it happens SB, we do. Very lucky to be able to afford/select quality meat from the local independent butcher. Only eat meat twice a week usually, although that has dropped off since the lockdown as our butchers has been overwhelmed with new business which is great for them, but trickier for us.
I'm not getting preachy....but european veal production is a particularly troublesome production method ......but it doesn't have to be.....UK free range rose veal tastes great.
Yeah, somewhere we all have our tipping point (use Tesco but not Asda? Burger King but not McDonalds? Costa but not Starbucks? Just some facetious examples) and my tipping point is traditional veal production. Not saying it's a perfect line, but it's my line.

Sick Boy

Fair play, I do the same but realise it’s not possible for everyone due to the costs involved.
Any type of mass meat production is going to be troubling though regardless or country and/or animal and has been fuelled by the change in eating habits. I reckon long term I will go vegetarian.

bezzer

Pork
Chicken
Beef
Turkey

Must have with it -
Roasties
Cauliflower cheese
Savoy cabbage
Mash
Gravy from the cooking juices. Not Bisto crap.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Pork
Chicken
Beef
Turkey

Must have with it -
Roasties
Cauliflower cheese
Savoy cabbage
Mash
Gravy from the cooking juices. Not Bisto crap.
All good - except for having two kinds of potato. Gotta be roasties for me, unless I'm having the first lift of the new potatoes from my garden, in which case i'll have those boiled with a bit of mint in the water, then buttered. Would probably have a leg of spring lamb to add to the seasonal feel.

Grendel

For the record the vegan equivalent here is pretty easy.

Obviously all veg is vegan and roast veg needs olive oil and not goose fat - if it’s a rush job Aunt Bessie potatoes and parsnips are milk free so are vegan

Honestly I challenge people to try Richmond vegan sausages with a roast dinner when initially fried in olive oil and see if you can really say they are different to meat sausages

Real onion gravy is a challenge as most contain a small element of milk but try this

Inspired Dining Red Onion Gravy (200g)

I would as an experiment ask people to try this combination and just see what they think and what they think they are missing - other than Yorkshire Pudding which is not possible at all

skybluesam66

Obviously all veg is vegan and roast veg needs olive oil and not goose fat - if it’s a rush job Aunt Bessie potatoes and parsnips are milk free so are vegan

Honestly I challenge people to try Richmond vegan sausages with a roast dinner when initially fried in olive oil and see if you can really say they are different to meat sausages

Real onion gravy is a challenge as most contain a small element of milk but try this

I would as an experiment ask people to try this combination and just see what they think and what they think they are missing - other than Yorkshire Pudding which is not possible at all
Richmond meat sausages taste like crAp so wouldn’t hold out much hope for vegan ones

Grendel

Sbarcher

Have you tried them?
My wife is a veggie and says the Richmond meatless are the best sausages she has tasted, even better than mine..................

OffenhamSkyBlue

Plenty of recipes out there for vegan Yorkies, Grendel. A vegan sausage wouldn't be high on my list of Sunday roasts, but it's nice to know everyone's requirements are taken care of these days.
Vegan Yorkshire puddings

Users who are viewing this thread