The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (67 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sick Boy

Even though I disagree fundamentally with JRM's views I do respect his right to hold them. Also, if I'm honest, I feel he is an honest and honourable politician (unlike odious chancer Boris) who, if he ever became Prime Minister, would do his utmost to govern according to his moral code. For some that is a big attraction...for others a nightmare.
In many ways, but for some different reasons, he is like Corbyn with those who love him and those who can't see why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course he had a right to hold them but governing the country based on strict Catholic doctrine would indeed be a nightmare.

Grendel

Of course he had a right to hold them but governing the country based on strict Catholic doctrine would indeed be a nightmare.

Sigh

That's really not the point being made.

lifeskyblue

It might not be a nightmare for all and I do not just mean Catholics. I suspect many are fed up with the 'liberal' views that have dominated for so long. I believe we might see a polarisation along the Corbyn Mogg lines. I'm not really happy with either.

Sick Boy

It might not be a nightmare for all and I do not just mean Catholics. I suspect many are fed up with the 'liberal' views that have dominated for so long. I believe we might see a polarisation along the Corbyn Mogg lines. I'm not really happy with either.

What liberal views have dominated for so long? Say, over the last 50 years?

The British public overwhelming support abortion, especially on cases of rape and incest. Luckily we don't live in the dark ages and the majority support equal rights for gays.

Following his interview, there is now very little chance of RM ever becoming Pm.

chiefdave

Following his interview, there is now very little chance of RM ever becoming Pm.
Suspect that might not have been entirely unintentional.

He isn't short of a few quid (together with his wife a net worth in the region of £150m) and enjoys being an MP. Plenty of media appearances to keep the bank account topped up, why would he want the hassle of being PM?

Kingokings204

What liberal views have dominated for so long? Say, over the last 50 years?

The British public overwhelming support abortion, especially on cases of rape and incest. Luckily we don't live in the dark ages and the majority support equal rights for gays.

It was very little to no chance anyway. His views are his views. It's a personal opinion which he is allowed and been truthful to. Doesn't mean the country has to agree or what the law is which states you can abort up to 24 weeks. The law would win.

Kingokings204

Suspect that might not have been entirely unintentional.

He isn't short of a few quid (together with his wife a net worth in the region of £150m) and enjoys being an MP. Plenty of media appearances to keep the bank account topped up, why would he want the hassle of being PM?

Because he is quite passionate about being British and PM. He has ambition perhaps? Many reasons.

lifeskyblue

The liberal views of the judiciary, the BBC, and the civil service. All that has kept politicians pretty much in check since WW2. Thatcher's new right/neo liberal policies would have been implemented further if the establishment hadn't held her (and more importantly Keith Joseph) back.

Astute

I see this crap is still going on :oops:

So I suppose we should let the amount of a city in every year when we can't house those already here. The NHS can't cope in many areas but just let everyone in who wants to come here. We could always raise tax although millions are struggling so we can build the millions of homes needed. And then raise them again so we can build more hospitals. We can carry on building on flood plains and hope it doesn't rain.

It would be OK. The fruit and veg would be picked at least. Companies would have the cheap labour they want. Immigrants don't commit crime. It has no effect on anyone already here.

martcov

I see this crap is still going on :oops:

So I suppose we should let the amount of a city in every year when we can't house those already here. The NHS can't cope in many areas but just let everyone in who wants to come here. We could always raise tax although millions are struggling so we can build the millions of homes needed. And then raise them again so we can build more hospitals. We can carry on building on flood plains and hope it doesn't rain.

It would be OK. The fruit and veg would be picked at least. Companies would have the cheap labour they want. Immigrants don't commit crime. It has no effect on anyone already here.

You'll be pleased to know that Farage is going to stir up crap along those lines in the German election. Invited by the grand daughter of Adolf Hitler's finance minister to hold a speech on behalf of the AfD in the Spandau Citadel ( there is a film about the Nazis holding out against the Russians in the citadel ). Farage will be in his element. Preaching to the converted and following in the tradition of German populists.....

Astute

You'll be pleased to know that Farage is going to stir up crap along those lines in the German election. Invited by the grand daughter of Adolf Hitler's finance minister to hold a speech on behalf of the AfD in the Spandau Citadel ( there is a film about the Nazis holding out against the Russians in the citadel ). Farage will be in his element. Preaching to the converted and following in the tradition of German populists.....
So why would I be pleased?

Sick Boy

I'm just sad that people like myself and my girlfriend have been made scapegoats for our country's woes.

One day there will be no more else to blame.

Astute

I'm just sad that people like myself and my girlfriend have been made scapegoats for our country's woes.

One day there will be no more else to blame.
Is there anything else you would like to make up?

chiefdave

What are peoples thoughts on article 127 and whether it needs to be triggered or not to leave the EEA?

Seems a bit of a mess, on the one hand Davis is saying they don't need to trigger it as the UK will automatically leave what they leave the EU but then he admits lawyers are looking in to it and of course there are countries who are members of the EEA without being in the EU.

If the lawyers do say it needs to be triggered I can't see that being done without a parliamentary vote and the whole thing could get a lot messier than it already is.

Why on earth was this all not looked into before we voted?

chiefdave

Well...who'd have thought it?
Could you not swap in the pound for euro in that article?
The head of Germany’s Ifo economic institute warned of a return of the euro crisis in a newspaper interview published on Friday, and said the European Central Bank should start to roll back its zero-interest-rate policy.

Ifo head Clemens Fuest told the Passauer Neue Presse newspaper that a noticeable recovery in the euro zone, increasing inflation rates and rising prices for bonds, shares and real estate were reasons for the ECB to change course.

“The longer this continues, the more painful it will be when the money dries up,” Fuest told the newspaper. “It’s time to start the exit process.”

Sick Boy

Is there anything else you would like to make up?

My parents are migrants and so is she, apparently we are to blame for low wages and high house prices. I've been also been accused of being pro-Irish/anti-British on this forum for some bizarre reason.

SkyblueBazza

It says "in the next recession" - which hasn't happened yet, and advises to take action beforehand. It is the general acceptance that interest rates will have to rise - not only in The Eurozone. No new news there...
“The longer this continues, the more painful it will be when the money dries up,” - Nuff said!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Astute

My parents are migrants and so is she, apparently we are to blame for low wages and high house prices. I've been also been accused of being pro-Irish/anti-British on this forum for some bizarre reason.
Yes apparently. Pro Irish anti British? That comment is a contradiction for starters.

It is amazing what some people can make of what is said by others. Must be my fault as well as I have Irish and Spanish blood in me.

Astute

Because you think the message is great and he is spreading the message.
Or you are trying to make out that those who can see that we can't look after those already living here are racist.

Trying to work out why those who don't live in the UK or have a partner from outside the UK are the most vocal here.

Astute

What are peoples thoughts on article 127 and whether it needs to be triggered or not to leave the EEA?

Seems a bit of a mess, on the one hand Davis is saying they don't need to trigger it as the UK will automatically leave what they leave the EU but then he admits lawyers are looking in to it and of course there are countries who are members of the EEA without being in the EU.

If the lawyers do say it needs to be triggered I can't see that being done without a parliamentary vote and the whole thing could get a lot messier than it already is.

Why on earth was this all not looked into before we voted?
I wonder how much the lawyers will make out of it.

Grendel

Could you not swap in the pound for euro in that article?

Definitely not. The euro is a currency that is in all but name the German Mark. It allows Germany several advantages. The problem is that countries are borrowing on ridiculously low interests rates due to the suppression of the bank lending rate.

Portugal and Greece borrow money at a rate at least half what they would do if it's their own currency - Portugal is about 4%. Italy and Spain are the same. Greece isn't much more.

Here's the rub. Inflation is rising n Germany and the banks have negative rates in a desperate attempt to suppress the rate. They know Greece in particular and Portugal and Italy cannot sustain loan repayments if the rate rises.

The rise is inevitable. The currency will then be in crises as a market will default as the lending rate grows

So no our currency isn't dependent on Greece so we are fine

martcov

Definitely not. The euro is a currency that is in all but name the German Mark. It allows Germany several advantages. The problem is that countries are borrowing on ridiculously low interests rates due to the suppression of the bank lending rate.

Portugal and Greece borrow money at a rate at least half what they would do if it's their own currency - Portugal is about 4%. Italy and Spain are the same. Greece isn't much more.

Here's the rub. Inflation is rising n Germany and the banks have negative rates in a desperate attempt to suppress the rate. They know Greece in particular and Portugal and Italy cannot sustain loan repayments if the rate rises.

The rise is inevitable. The currency will then be in crises as a market will default as the lending rate grows

So no our currency isn't dependent on Greece so we are fine

No, it is dependent on how Brexit pans out..., so not exactly fine..

martcov

Or you are trying to make out that those who can see that we can't look after those already living here are racist.

Trying to work out why those who don't live in the UK or have a partner from outside the UK are the most vocal here.

Maybe they can see things from a different viewpoint? More objectively?

Grendel

No, it is dependent on how Brexit pans out..., so not exactly fine..

No it doesn't - the uk has an independent currency. In 2008 its stock fell much lower than now as did the FTSE - shares now are at record highs. The pound will always have peaks and troughs but will never have a risk of elimination - the euro is unique in that

martcov

No it doesn't - the uk has an independent currency. In 2008 its stock fell much lower than now as did the FTSE - shares now are at record highs. The pound will always have peaks and troughs but will never have a risk of elimination - the euro is unique in that

The risk of elimination is slim. There are advantages to having stable exchange rates ( or no exchange rate in the case of the Eurozone ). It could be that the weaker countries drop out, but the stronger economies will stick with the EURO.

Grendel

The risk of elimination is slim. There are advantages to having stable exchange rates ( or no exchange rate in the case of the Eurozone ). It could be that the weaker countries drop out, but the stronger economies will stick with the EURO.

Ha ha ha ha and countries dropping out is fine is it? How will that impact its standing in the currency market?

Other than Germany who is strong would you say?

martcov

Ha ha ha ha and countries dropping out is fine is it? How will that impact its standing in the currency market?

Other than Germany who is strong would you say?

France and - I know what you're going to say - Italy will stay in. And Holland. One of the problems before the Euro was Italy with it's constantly devaluing currency. Difficult to do business with them as you had to hedge your bets with the lira by buying or selling in advance- at a price.

The DM was over 60% of the weighting. It was wanted by countries like Italy as the DM was stable. Greece should never have been allowed in. That was political not rational. But the Euro could survive without Greece.

chiefdave

So how is that different to here? We have rising inflation and people borrowing on historically low interest rates. As we've discussed on here recently banks have paid no attention to the problems last time and are happily giving out 100% mortgages.

BoE have already said that interest rates will have to rise in the not too distant future then so what happens then? Mortgage costs go up, that will impact people already struggling due to wage suppression and inflation. Whats the difference when they start defaulting?

Users who are viewing this thread