The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (60 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Astute

750px-Housing_starts_in_England.png
So how does that graph answer my question? Graphs don't build houses.

Astute

You deflect everything away from them and previous governments and scapegoat working migrants who have come to the country and contributed to our society over this and previous decades. It's nothing other than dog whistle politics.
Me deflect? What a joke.

I am still asking the same question. Nobody has answered it. All I have got is deflection, accusations of being racist, you trying to say that I blame your family, getting accused of being a Tory as I pointed out that Labour had been in power for 13 of the last 20 years, only using biased reporting.... then you quote the Sun..... getting told I have got the numbers wrong time and time again qhen I have shown the proof from a government site....to which you tried to say wasn't a government site.

Yes housebuilding reached a peak at about the start of the 70's. It was when slum clearing hit a peak. It was when the large council estates were being built.

Yes social housing has been decimated by the right to buy and not getting replaced. It was Maggie buying votes. But each government since has been guilty of doing nothing. But selling off social housing hasn't made people homeless. People still live in these homes. But affordable housing has been decimated.

So back to the same old question. How do we home the homeless when our population is going up by about half a million each year?

Astute

Nor does the government
So where have I said that they do?

They should stop building companies from building up land banks. Free up money for the smaller building companies as the banks have stopped lending to them. Limit the amount of time that planning permission lasts for. If the time elapses hit them with big penalties.

And most of all get back to building social housing. Then they can start chipping away at the housing crisis. There is no overnight fix whatever they do.

martcov

So where have I said that they do?

They should stop building companies from building up land banks. Free up money for the smaller building companies as the banks have stopped lending to them. Limit the amount of time that planning permission lasts for. If the time elapses hit them with big penalties.

And most of all get back to building social housing. Then they can start chipping away at the housing crisis. There is no overnight fix whatever they do.

Actually agree with you completely..... that Mythos must have done you some good..;-)

Astute

Actually agree with you completely..... that Mythos must have done you some good..;-)
My points have always been the same. But we always get bogged down with the same shite. We don't argue about the need to build. The biggest point is what to do now.

It would take years of building properties at full speed to catch up with where we should be. That to me is a major problem. Because even without migration our population will still grow very fast.

My elder kids are doing OK. They all own properties but one. The younger ones will be given the house we now live in when I retire in about 10 years. But most kids won't be this lucky.

SkyblueBazza

52% of those who bothered to vote have decided for the rest of the population. Hardly a decisive victory.
Well if they weren't particularly bothered by the potential outcome - why would they bother to vote?
Any support they give to support the remain campaign now is absolutely worthless...& along with yours is utterly futile.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

There will still be people on here blaming the EU for the countries' woes in 10 years time. "They stitched us up", "the deal wasn't good enough" "I thought Trump was looking out for us" etc etc. It'll always be the fault of someone else.
And in 20yrs time you & Mart will still be blaming Farage & Boris for Brexit because "They stitched us up"

SkyblueBazza

Bendy Bananas - the Myth to end all Myths
26/05/2016
The EU trying to ban straight & bendy bananas is perhaps the most well-established Euromyth of them all. Is Brussels really meddling in what our beloved bananas should look like?

Yes & No.

Bananas are classified by quality and size so they can be traded internationally. Quality standards are also needed so that people know what they are buying and that the produce meets their expectations.

Straight & bendy are not banned by the EU. Commission Regulation 2257/94 identifies certain restrictions for fruits that producers have to conform to in order to sell their produce within the EU. The regulation states that bananas must be "free from malformation or abnormal curvature."

Class 1 bananas can have "slight defects of shape" and Class 2 bananas full-on "defects of shape".

In 2011 this regulation and other relevant rules were brought together for the sake of clarity under a single implementing regulation (1333/2011), and in 2013 a further change simplified reporting requirements (implementing regulation 565/2013).
All bollocks though. A banana is a banana is a banana. Some are big some are small & some are more bendy than others.
Why have no such classifications come out for onions (don't wish to upset the French) or tomatoes?

All bollocks

Grendel

Never said he doesn't have to...if he chooses to or not is up to him

He throws so many rocks to deflect his crumbling defence of the Fedaralist monstrosity I don't even know what he is referring to

Sick Boy

He throws so many rocks to deflect his crumbling defence of the Fedaralist monstrosity I don't even know what he is referring to

Still waiting for you to answer about if you'd accept Scotland or Wales declaring independence without parliamentary approval by the way.

Grendel

Still waiting for you to answer about if you'd accept Scotland or Wales declaring independence without parliamentary approval by the way.

Well our government permitted a referendum as it believes in democratic process following devolution.

Given that the Spanish government acted in a draconian and barbaric way you'd more associate the Catalonians with the struggle in Ireland surely? So your view would be consistent.

Unlike you I support civil liberty and freedom so of course I support the people who have been beaten and oppressed by the Spanish government and it's police force acting like a malitia.

Next you'll be saying if women weren't allowed to vote they are not allowed the right to protest and struggle.

I assume you take the EU views that the police actions were proportionate and justified?

Nice.

Astute

That is some 'what if'

Could you imagine us sending in thousands of police to attack Scottish people who only wanted to vote?

I am all for people deciding for themselves. Of course there will always be winners and losers. But what other way can we do it other than the majority deciding?

Scotland wanted a referendum. They were given the right to vote. They voted to remain a part of the UK. In the EU vote they voted to remain, but as they are a part of the UK the vote was to leave. The English vote was over the 52%. But when it came down to the UK vote that was what it came down to.

The Scottish didn't want a second vote. But maybe they will want one now we have voted to leave the EU. And I can't see us being like Spain and attacking their people to get what the English want. They would get their vote. That is what democracy is all about.

martcov

So you are unhappy with 52% of voters determining the outcome of the EU referendum but happy with 33% of voters determining the outcome of the German election?
That is democracy at work.

How do you get 33%? If... Merkel forms a government it will be around 53%, but it won’t alter the constitution. To do that she needs over 60% ( or two thirds of the Bundestag- not sure which). A simple majority is not enough to alter the constitution. A government is put to reelection every 4 years. Brexit is a major change and there is no option to change after 4 years. A major decision like that should have had 60 or maybe 66% behind it. 52% on the day is not a decisive victory- as Farage said before the vote.

martcov

All bollocks though. A banana is a banana is a banana. Some are big some are small & some are more bendy than others.
Why have no such classifications come out for onions (don't wish to upset the French) or tomatoes?

All bollocks

There are classifications for most things. The only reason you know about bananas is because of propaganda from people like Boris Johnson.

martcov

Try telling Mart & SickBoy that

I saw through this bollocks the first time I saw Farage. I wrote to UKIP and told them they were talking BS at the time. My brother worked for UKIP in Brussels - before he got sacked for discovering the MEPs corruption. His boss landed in nick and my brother sent the info to Private Eye. My brother helped Labour Leave ( he hates labour) at the referendum. We don’t talk to each other now - not because of Brexit, although that doesn’t help.

Astute

How do you get 33%? If... Merkel forms a government it will be around 53%, but it won’t alter the constitution. To do that she needs over 60% ( or two thirds of the Bundestag- not sure which). A simple majority is not enough to alter the constitution. A government is put to reelection every 4 years. Brexit is a major change and there is no option to change after 4 years. A major decision like that should have had 60 or maybe 66% behind it. 52% on the day is not a decisive victory- as Farage said before the vote.
Did I just see you agree with Farage on something?

The Sun is biased and should be ignored. You will get pulled up just for mentioning the name. But if it says something that could be taken in an argument on behalf of the EU it is OK.

Farage is a racist bigoted prick and should be ignored. You will get pulled up just for mentioning his name. But if he says something that could be taken in an argument on behalf of the EU it is OK.

No double standards?

martcov

That is some 'what if'

Could you imagine us sending in thousands of police to attack Scottish people who only wanted to vote?

I am all for people deciding for themselves. Of course there will always be winners and losers. But what other way can we do it other than the majority deciding?

Scotland wanted a referendum. They were given the right to vote. They voted to remain a part of the UK. In the EU vote they voted to remain, but as they are a part of the UK the vote was to leave. The English vote was over the 52%. But when it came down to the UK vote that was what it came down to.

The Scottish didn't want a second vote. But maybe they will want one now we have voted to leave the EU. And I can't see us being like Spain and attacking their people to get what the English want. They would get their vote. That is what democracy is all about.

They would get their vote if the government of the UK allowed it. Then it would be legal and fair to both sides.

The difference with Catalonia is that the Spanish Constitutional Court declared it as not on accordance with the constitution. Not only that, but they needed at least 90 seats to call a referendum according to the Catalonian Constitution, but only got 72 votes. So in both counts it was illegal. What means does the government have to stop an illegal vote? And why do you think ignoring laws and constitutions of a democratic country is democracy?

martcov

The Sun is biased and should be ignored. You will get pulled up just for mentioning the name. But if it says something that could be taken in an argument on behalf of the EU it is OK.

Farage is a racist bigoted prick and should be ignored. You will get pulled up just for mentioning his name. But if he says something that could be taken in an argument on behalf of the EU it is OK.

No double standards?

Absolutely not. I wouldn’t quote Farage under normal circumstances, but when talking to believers it sometimes helps to point out what Farage told them before the referendum. They may take more notice of Farage than just me.

Sick Boy

No double standards?

Hahaha you are priceless.

I highlighted the fact that the story was in the Sun to show that it was published in various publications. Funnily enough, the Sun's article seemed to be against the UK and EU''s plans.

After you quoted the express to back up your argument, I'd leave it there.

Sick Boy

They would get their vote if the government of the UK allowed it. Then it would be legal and fair to both sides.

The difference with Catalonia is that the Spanish Constitutional Court declared it as not on accordance with the constitution. Not only that, but they needed at least 90 seats to call a referendum according to the Catalonian Constitution, but only got 72 votes. So in both counts it was illegal. What means does the government have to stop an illegal vote? And why do you think ignoring laws and constitutions of a democratic country is democracy?

It's even less democratic as the vast majority of those wanting to go out and vote wouldn't have done so.

martcov

Well our government permitted a referendum as it believes in democratic process following devolution.

Given that the Spanish government acted in a draconian and barbaric way you'd more associate the Catalonians with the struggle in Ireland surely? So your view would be consistent.

Unlike you I support civil liberty and freedom so of course I support the people who have been beaten and oppressed by the Spanish government and it's police force acting like a malitia.

Next you'll be saying if women weren't allowed to vote they are not allowed the right to protest and struggle.

I assume you take the EU views that the police actions were proportionate and justified?

Nice.

Do you ever consider that there may be two sides to a story?

Not all Catalonians want independence. We would only know the real feelings if it were a free and fair vote.

To get that they have to act in accordance with the Spanish and the Catalonian Constitution/ Law. It may be impossible under Spanish law, but it would be possible in Catalonia if the Parliament had at least 90 votes in favour of a referendum. The Catalonian government got 72 votes and ignored Catalonian law by going ahead. A totally undemocratic move.

Nice.

The EU have condemned the police brutality, which itself, although unacceptable, turned out to be greatly exaggerated.

The EU supports legal self determination through the Prodi principle.

Astute

How many pro EU on here were saying that there should have been a re-election because May just failed to get the majority?

Then Merkel gets only a third of the vote and needs about 4 other parties to join her. But it is OK.

Astute

It's even less democratic as the vast majority of those wanting to go out and vote wouldn't have done so.
Would you go out and vote if you knew that the police were attacking voters?

martcov

How many pro EU on here were saying that there should have been a re-election because May just failed to get the majority?

Then Merkel gets only a third of the vote and needs about 4 other parties to join her. But it is OK.

Merkel is not taking Germany out of the EU. May is responsible for the most important international negotiations concerning the future of the UK since WWII. A big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread