The holiday 2023 thread (1 Viewer)

Marty

Making a trip to the Netherlands over Christmas too see some of my partner's family, we're going to turn it into a bit of a city break as well, we're going to a place right on the German border, so any advice as to where is better to visit.... Pritty much open to visiting anywhere in the Netherlands, and looking at no further than Dortmund or Cologne on the German side, just looking for a bit of advice for which is the best city to visit for a 2-3 day stay. Been to neither country before.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Making a trip to the Netherlands over Christmas too see some of my partner's family, we're going to turn it into a bit of a city break as well, we're going to a place right on the German border, so any advice as to where is better to visit.... Pritty much open to visiting anywhere in the Netherlands, and looking at no further than Dortmund or Cologne on the German side, just looking for a bit of advice for which is the best city to visit for a 2-3 day stay. Been to neither country before.
cologne is nice, I prefer Düsseldorf but all are really good places to visit, you will have a great time

fernandopartridge

Cologne lovely at Christmas, great Christmas markets too if you like that sort of thing

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Nijmegen?

Kneeza

Cologne is nice - have spent quite a lot of time there on business (back in the nineties) staying in the big hotel just over the Hohenzollerbrucke from the Dom (cathedral). However, I'd prefer Koblenz personally. A bit further, but lovely, and at the confluence of the Rhine and the Mosel.

CJ_covblaze

Cologne is nice - have spent quite a lot of time there on business (back in the nineties) staying in the big hotel just over the Hohenzollerbrucke from the Dom (cathedral). However, I'd prefer Koblenz personally. A bit further, but lovely, and at the confluence of the Rhine and the Mosel.
Lovely city. Worth going there just for the experience of walking out of the station and seeing the cathedral.

Kneeza

Lovely city. Worth going there just for the experience of walking out of the station and seeing the cathedral.
Cologne? Yes. Have used the station a few times.
Have also eaten/drank lots of Kölsch in a restaurant on the square in front of the cathedral.
Also got hideously drunk in an 'Irish' bar in the centre when the Americans (Ford types) we were with insisted on buying several bottles of J. Walker Black Label (no idea why Scotch though. Most odd).
I was bad for days.

wingy

Had a great time there with work for about a week,then later while doing a tour of around 3 Jobs in Spain also (Bilbao)
People are so friendly over there so many good bar's and community.

fernandopartridge

Have also eaten/drank lots of Kölsch in a restaurant on the square in front of the cathedral.
Also got hideously drunk in an 'Irish' bar in the centre when the Americans (Ford types) we were with insisted on buying several bottles of J. Walker Black Label (no idea why Scotch though. Most odd).
I was bad for days.

Yeah, sounds like the Fruh kolsch place..

skybluejelly

I was bad for days.

I got massively drunk in that Irish bar about 30 years ago , then had a massive ice cream from a shop a few doors down , ended up missing our last train , tried to sleep in station until morning but got made to get a taxi by the police , then threw up in the taxi and got fined 300 marks .. expensive night that one

shmmeee

Where abouts? My missus’ family is in Tolkamer right on the border. I can ask around, last time we went we did Utrecht, Amsterdam, The Efteling and a few local places where my GF grew up that aren’t interesting if you aren’t her :D

Really like Utrecht, would recommend.

Marty

Where abouts? My missus’ family is in Tolkamer right on the border. I can ask around, last time we went we did Utrecht, Amsterdam, The Efteling and a few local places where my GF grew up that aren’t interesting if you aren’t her :D

We're going to Sevenum, original plan was fly to Amsterdam, have a couple of days there, get the train to Sevenum and spend Christmas there then onto wherever for a few days then fly back from wherever we end up.

But now we're also thinking about getting the ferry and driving over, spend a couple of days in Bruges, onto the family, then Eindhoven and then wherever.

shmmeee

We're going to Sevenum, original plan was fly to Amsterdam, have a couple of days there, get the train to Sevenum and spend Christmas there then onto wherever for a few days then fly back from wherever we end up.

But now we're also thinking about getting the ferry and driving over, spend a couple of days in Bruges, onto the family, then Eindhoven and then wherever.

Bruges is lovely, we went to Ghent on the way home as well, that was nice if you like chocolate and pretty architecture.

ovduk78

Bruges is lovely, we went to Ghent on the way home as well, that was nice if you like chocolate and pretty architecture.
Bruges is lovely and even better if like we did you get a tour of the city by a local. I also like Gent & a lot of towns in the Flemish side are lovely, those in Wallonie seem to be more industrial although I did have a lovely weekend in the Ardennes. Having lived in and around Brussels for just over 2 years I would say the food is excellent and if you like beer, chocolate and cakes you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

Great_Expectations

I know this is the holiday 2023 thread but I suggest it’s best we carry this one on (and maybe amend the title) rather than start a new one, so useful advice, tips and recommendations aren’t lost.

We had a week’s holiday at the start of the year with the kids which was great, but tiring! So we’ve got a kids free few nights in Malaga from Sunday. I went there a few years ago on a stag, so I expect this trip to be very different!

My partner has arranged it all, which is a complete role reversal - that I both like and don’t like in equal measure! The only thing I have researched is any decent craft beer places and conveniently there’s one round the corner from the hotel.

I haven’t drank since NYE, I’ve been eating well and completing some pretty intense training for an upcoming marathon. Plus work has been full on. So I’m absolutely letting lose this trip!

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

I know this is the holiday 2023 thread but I suggest it’s best we carry this one on (and maybe amend the title) rather than start a new one, so useful advice, tips and recommendations aren’t lost.

We had a week’s holiday at the start of the year with the kids which was great, but tiring! So we’ve got a kids free few nights in Malaga from Sunday. I went there a few years ago on a stag, so I expect this trip to be very different!

My partner has arranged it all, which is a complete role reversal - that I both like and don’t like in equal measure! The only thing I have researched is any decent craft beer places and conveniently there’s one round the corner from the hotel.

I haven’t drank since NYE, I’ve been eating well and completing some pretty intense training for an upcoming marathon. Plus work has been full on. So I’m absolutely letting lose this trip!
Spent a few days in Malaga and really enjoyed doing a food tour (we probably got very lucky as it was just two of us on the whole thing so we got undivided attention). I think it was through a company called I love Malaga.

The central market was great too, monkfish/prawn kebabs and tinto de verano for lunch.

North York’s Blue

Love Utrecht, flying over on sunday for a few days, unfortunately it’s for work though.

Ian1779

Dominican Republic in August, 11 nights.
Will be the second time there - way better than Mexico IMO.

Ccfcsj

Going to Malta in June for my 30th wedding anniversary.

2nd honeymoon and 1st time my wife has been on a plane

Gynnsthetonic

Dominican Republic in August, 11 nights.
Will be the second time there - way better than Mexico IMO.
Hopefully going back to Mexico in August and revisit some of the place we visited on our honeymoon except this time with teenagers in tow. Mexico City, Zihuatanejo, Puerto Vallarta Guantanejo back to Mexico City. Did this last time 19 years ago along with Mazatlan and then the Los Mochis to Chihuahua train along the Copper Canyon. Great holiday and no trouble or hassle at all. Never fancied the Cancun area.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Just moved to Prague today, so probably no holiday for a while. I guess this counts as a residency however!

Unfortunately the Czech league doesn't start back for a couple of weeks, after the winter break which is still ongoing, but I will be sure to begin scouting before too much longer!

rob9872

Nothing exotic for us this year just some hopefully nice relaxing breaks.

Got a good deal to Majorca over half term, not that warm but upgraded room with hot tub etc and going Mon to Mon rather than Sat to Sat saved £800. Daughter misses a day of school and it's her GCSE year so reluctantly, although scandalous difference.

Gutted to be missing both Stoke and Plymouth away too, but done both grounds before and I'll be taking my dodgy firestick to keep up.

Lanzarote for a couple of weeks in July, after her prom, but before school holidays makes a huge cost difference again.

fernandopartridge

In SE Asia until end of March.
Been Thailand for a few weeks now in Siem Reap, Cambodia.
Cambodia is a great place, the people are incredible, warm, friendly, helpful, put them on the road, physcopaths!
Enjoyed Siem Reap when I went there, stayed in a beautiful hotel called the indochine. The Cambodian people are lovely.

Great_Expectations

Cambodia is a great place, the people are incredible, warm, friendly, helpful, put them on the road, physcopaths!

Siem Reap is great. I’ve still got (and wear!) a top from ‘Angkor What?’ Bar. Can’t remember the bar but it’s a cool top!

We hired bikes while we were there and discovered a crocodile farm. I won’t expand but it’s definitely an experience.

Prior to Siem Reap we had taken a coach to Sihanoukville from Phnom Penh as it was supposed to be an incredible costal town, with bars, beaches etc. It was a long coach trip, and once we arrived it tipped it down and wasn’t due to stop for days. So we ended up having one heavy, heavy night there, with numerous stories, one of which involved one of my friends being bitten by a stray dog while trying to impress a girl and spending a day in Siem Reap A&E a few days later paranoid he had rabies and was going to die. We weren’t allowed to tell that story during the best man speech at his wedding!

SE Asia is a great part of the world - Vietnam is pretty special too. We found the South especially cool. Had a great few days in a small ish coastal town called Nha Trang. Ho Chi Minh was great, but it’s reputation as pick pocket central is very real - as we found out!

I’ll leave it there as it’s bringing back lots of great memories and I won’t be able to stop reminiscing!

rob9872

Wifes sister and husband living out there at the moment. Been there 2 years and love it. He does IT works for a bit then takes a few years off and depends it before starting over. Was in Oman before but they love Cambodia.

clint van damme

Siem Reap is great. I’ve still got (and wear!) a top from ‘Angkor What?’ Bar. Can’t remember the bar but it’s a cool top!

We hired bikes while we were there and discovered a crocodile farm. I won’t expand but it’s definitely an experience.

Prior to Siem Reap we had taken a coach to Sihanoukville from Phnom Penh as it was supposed to be an incredible costal town, with bars, beaches etc. It was a long coach trip, and once we arrived it tipped it down and wasn’t due to stop for days. So we ended up having one heavy, heavy night there, with numerous stories, one of which involved one of my friends being bitten by a stray dog while trying to impress a girl and spending a day in Siem Reap A&E a few days later paranoid he had rabies and was going to die. We weren’t allowed to tell that story during the best man speech at his wedding!

SE Asia is a great part of the world - Vietnam is pretty special too. We found the South especially cool. Had a great few days in a small ish coastal town called Nha Trang. Ho Chi Minh was great, but it’s reputation as pick pocket central is very real - as we found out!

I’ll leave it there as it’s bringing back lots of great memories and I won’t be able to stop reminiscing!

Thanks for the heads up about Ho Chi MInh, will be there at some point in the next couple of weeks or so.

Users who are viewing this thread