"...the lads all wanted Shaw & Carsley to take over because they really like them" (1 Viewer)

Colonel Mustard

The new manager should come in and say "right, its 'Boss' or 'Gaffer' to you lot, because you think you're too good for this League yet you've done fuck all in it!"

Just my tuppence, but I wouldn't have much hope for that manager. Instilling belief ought to be about inspiring the players, motivating them to overachieve, setting expectations of championship performance on the pitch and the training ground. I don't think it is arrogance that the players suffer from, but likely apathy; if that is the case, then it has to be questioned whether the bollocking treatment would help or further hinder the club.

Macca

I m pretty much old school, kick them up the arse, if they don t like it fuck off. Trouble is I m not sure this works anymore. There's no class in the game anymore. You can t say to player," upset me by playing up and I ll sack you. You ll get a bad rep and no one else will want you" . Fact is whatever people do someone else will employ them. Barton, Hughes, king, diouf etc etc. player power rules

SkyBlue_Bear83

If anyone watched Reading vs Tottenham yesterday

You would see Jason Roberts saying all the players enjoy coming in for training each day
Also Mcdermott saying he is very relaxed and a much better manager than when he started because when he started he shouted a lot at the players as he thought that was the right way

The best are those who people have respect for without demanding it, they have a presence and an aura which has respect without asking for it. You know who is boss but it never needs to be said. You don't get respect my shouting a lot and making the players fear you

I would bet Thorn has had his fair share of dressing room tirades at the players judging by how flustered he would appear in some of his post match interview and how we would often speak without thinking in his interview and let his emotions take over

We need an authoritative figure but incomprehensible shouting will get us nowhere

@richh87

I think we need a Manager who isn't hands on. Let Shaw and Carsley deal with the players and let the Manager be a bit more distant so the players don't think he's their mate.

The CableGuy

Just my tuppence, but I wouldn't have much hope for that manager. Instilling belief ought to be about inspiring the players, motivating them to overachieve, setting expectations of championship performance on the pitch and the training ground. I don't think it is arrogance that the players suffer from, but likely apathy; if that is the case, then it has to be questioned whether the bollocking treatment would help or further hinder the club.

Professional pride, and a quick look at the bottom of the table - the League 1 table - should be enough motivation.

On paper, their good enough. But only for 20 minute bursts, maybe 45. We're told again and again (and probably around this time tomorrow night) "that's why their in League 1."

But were 2nd from bottom in League 1!!!

Why is that?

Don't the players only get bonuses if City are in the Top 6? Maybe the message from the SISU pay department got mixed up and the players were expecting to get paid extra this weekend for being in the bottom 6.

If they don't want to novitiate themselves for CCFC, the Manager or even the fans, surely they should be doing it for themselves.

And if they can't even do that, then the new man should clean house at the early opportunity.

Colonel Mustard

Professional pride, and a quick look at the bottom of the table - the League 1 table - should be enough motivation.

It should be. But then, being fat and unfit and depressed should be enough motivation to get people to diet. Or health concerns should be enough motivation to get people to quit cigarettes.

Doesn't often work. Generally, people are more complicated than that. Mike Brearley's (often said to be England's finest captain) book The Art of Captaincy is a very insightful look into how he handled a range of different personalities.

If they don't want to novitiate themselves for CCFC, the Manager or even the fans, surely they should be doing it for themselves.

They should, in an ideal world. But it is not an ideal world and the players aren't simple machines who will respond to a simple stimulus (e.g. the bollocking).

And if they can't even do that, then the new man should clean house at the early opportunity.

Probably more chance of success by keeping one fixed variable (the players) and changing the manager until you find one that electrifies the players. If you are constantly overhauling the squad and turning over the manager, then it becomes that much more improbable.

cloughie

The best are those who people have respect for without demanding it, they have a presence and an aura which has respect without asking for it. You know who is boss but it never needs to be said.

Spot on just what I was trying to say earlier but didn't manage to think of that word that is needed AURA

Users who are viewing this thread