The Last Dance (1 Viewer)

CCFC88

Doc currently on Netflix around Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls. It's brilliant and well worth a watch in lockdown.

Even if you have little to no knowledge of basketball, some of the footage of one of the greatest sportsmen of all time is well worth your time.

Its brilliantly put together, one of the best sports docs I've ever watched.

ajsccfc

I've absolutely loved it. You're right that you don't need to be into basketball to get a lot out of this, there's so much psychology involved between Jordan's drive, Pippen almost having to be dragged along to be as good as he should and Rodman going off the rails as soon as he felt like a spare part in the team. People say that Jordan comes out badly but I don't think he does, I think that's just how you have to be in order to be the best.

Skybluefaz

I've absolutely loved it. You're right that you don't need to be into basketball to get a lot out of this, there's so much psychology involved between Jordan's drive, Pippen almost having to be dragged along to be as good as he should and Rodman going off the rails as soon as he felt like a spare part in the team. People say that Jordan comes out badly but I don't think he does, I think that's just how you have to be in order to be the best.
I'm 4 episodes in and as a non basketball fan just seeing at as you are.

CCFC88

Heard an interview with the director, he said the 25+ year old footage hadn't come out till now as Jordan had the rights on it and it was only allowed to be used when he said so. No coincidence that it is coming at a time when people are starting to put LeBron in a serious conversation with Jordan.

Also it wasn't due out till June but Netflix asked them to bring it forward due to Covid, that's why they're only releasing 2 at a time, cause the latter episodes hadn't been finished when the early ones were released

ajsccfc

I read an article that derides it as a fluff piece in order to get Jordan's involvement to the level it is but it doesn't come across that way to me, for a start while people praise him it doesn't make him seem like everybody's best pal or the best guy they know

Liquid Gold

I like a good sports doc, even in sports that I'm not in to, but this hasn't done anything for me.

It's just a constant stream of, 'look at this amazing team, this guy is so good at basketball, this guy is great too, nasty man working against them but he can't win because they are sooooo good at basketball'. Narrative is boring.

Alkhen

I read an article that derides it as a fluff piece in order to get Jordan's involvement to the level it is but it doesn't come across that way to me, for a start while people praise him it doesn't make him seem like everybody's best pal or the best guy they know

Agreed but you can tell he has final say on some stuff. it does rush past bits that could get uncomfortable for him. The stuff about his dad's death and the suspensions were barely touched. He always has the last say on the player beefs etc. Definitely interesting but you have to accept him being a producer is a bit of a conflict

ajsccfc

Oh for sure, there are plenty of times where he gets to watch someone's version of events on the iPad and call it bollocks with little rebuttal so there's more than a touch of Alan Partridge having the last laugh. I don't think I've seen him willingly contribute to something that acknowledges faults this much though even though they're skimmed over in some cases.

Bertola

I agree it's a bit of a Jordan infomercial, but as a basketball fan I've thoroughly enjoyed it all, even if there isn't much in there that wasn't already known. The stuff about the 92 dream team practice sessions, and the stories about Rodman have been brilliant

CCFC88

I agree it's a bit of a Jordan infomercial, but as a basketball fan I've thoroughly enjoyed it all, even if there isn't much in there that wasn't already known. The stuff about the 92 dream team practice sessions, and the stories about Rodman have been brilliant
Haha, just give me 48 hours to go to Vegas and I'll be back...

Users who are viewing this thread