the Office (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Watched the first 2 again last night, forgot how awkward and funny it is!

Wife doesn't get it :(

Just the bit where he says "ay" when nobody has said anything.

Grendel

I was on a long haul flight a few weeks ago for work and watched the whole of the first series.

Funny and reality. Especially the training day episode which was a sum total of what was achieved in the week I was there.

Otis

I was on a long haul flight a few weeks ago for work and watched the whole of the first series.

Funny and reality. Especially the training day episode which was a sum total of what was achieved in the week I was there.
Love it. It just so perfectly captures the tone and the mundaneness of an every day office and it cleverly makes you feel awkward while laughing very loudly.

The empathy it creates for the characters is a joy to behold too and you are forever rooting for Tim and Dawn to get together.

Terry Gibson's perm

I like the office and saw a clip for Phoenix Night last night and that has made me want to get the DVDs out it was the one were Potter is stuck on his stairlift :D

Nick

Administrator
It was the one where they have the work experience girl, all making puns. Then he suddenly said get out to a bloke. Nearly wet myself

Sky_Blue_Daz

I did hear that Peter Kay has written a 3rd series of pheonix nights.Hopefully after the lives shows they did a while back they might start filming again
If I could suggest a series for you to watch on Netflix or you tube called Still game it's criminally underrated
Give it a watch
Love the office gave my nephews my DVDs of series 1&2 they are really getting into it

Macca

Funniest thing I ever saw was a Peter Kay thing when he worked in a bingo hall. Keith Lard the fire officer who "bums dogs"

Ian1779

Funniest thing I ever saw was a Peter Kay thing when he worked in a bingo hall. Keith Lard the fire officer who "bums dogs"

The episode in Phoenix Nights where Keith Lard does the fire training whilst quoting Disco Inferno..

'Burn that mother down' - another child orphaned...

Macca

The episode in Phoenix Nights where Keith Lard does the fire training whilst quoting Disco Inferno..

'Burn that mother down' - another child orphaned...

Talking about opening Keiths bag, " we found a ball with a bell in it, some dogs chews......chloroform "

Terry Gibson's perm

That's it going to get the Phoenix nights DVD out tonight and if the wife ain't happy she can sod off to bed.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Peter Kay had to pay off a guy called Keith laird because people were accusing him of being a Fiddler I seem to remember

chiefdave

Peter Kay had to pay off a guy called Keith laird because people were accusing him of being a Fiddler I seem to remember

Correct

bbc.co.uk said:
Channel 4 has paid compensation to a fire safety officer after he complained that a character in new comedy Phoenix Nights was based on him.Keith Laird, who works for Bolton Council, complained about a character called Keith Lard who appeared in an epsiode of the show, starring comedian Peter Kay.

Lard has a bushy moustache, wears a luminous yellow jacket - like Mr Laird - and has an over-zealous approach to fire safety.

Mr Laird was shocked when the fictional fire officer was portrayed as having an interest in bestiality.

Channel 4 has since apologised to Mr Laird. Mr Kay, who is also from Bolton and created the character, stressed that Lard was fictional.

A spokesman for Channel 4 said: "Channel 4 and Peter Kay would like to state that the character of Keith Lard may have led some persons to wrongly believe that the character was based on Mr Keith Laird.

"We wish to make it clear that this was not the case and would like to apologise to Mr Laird and his family for the distress caused."

It is reported that a figure of £10,000 was split between Mr Laird and other organisations.

The controversial episode is due to be repeated on Thursday night, with the blessing of Mr Laird.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Only my opinion but it would have been easier to mKe the elderly people in that show the bit of all the jokes but he never
The series was heart felt and genuine
Although Kev and Dougy were hilarious too particularly Dougys double take when Kev walked in with his bird

lifeskyblue

Ok ok ok I shall sit and watch it again ;)

I think it does take time to get into the characters and humour. If you have ever visited or worked in a care environment you will see situations you have experienced.
I have a colleague who works with people with learning disability who hated it and felt Derek was a badly drawn character and took the mickey out of disabled people but others who work in the same area (myself included) think it is both sensitive and instructive.

stupot07

You don't need to. I had never worked in an Office when the series came out, still thought it was brilliant.
I don't think you need to either, but it was just a suggest on why she might not get it. I've never found phoenix nights funny, but I never grew up going to clubs. You don't need to have grown up going to clubs to find it funny, but perhaps that's the reason why I don't get it?

The office is brilliant though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
I don't think you need to either, but it was just a suggest on why she might not get it. I've never found phoenix nights funny, but I never grew up going to clubs. You don't need to have grown up going to clubs to find it funny, but perhaps that's the reason why I don't get it?

The office is brilliant though.

She said it makes her cringe, which I think is the funny bit!

stupot07

She said it makes her cringe, which I think is the funny bit!
Haha yeah that's the best bit. If anything since watching it, I've noticed more David Brents in the office!

chiefdave

I have a colleague who works with people with learning disability who hated it and felt Derek was a badly drawn character and took the mickey out of disabled people but others who work in the same area (myself included) think it is both sensitive and instructive.

I don't really see why people think it takes the piss out of the disabled. Derek is the 'hero' in the series so if anything it shows him in a great light.

Users who are viewing this thread