The official NFL Thread (19 Viewers)

tisza

Attritional stuff by the Eagles. 31 pts off just 270ish offensive yards is impressive. Can see them repeating that on the Chiefs.
Thought the Chiefs might get taken with Mahomes injured - just not the same player if he can't move. But that Chiefs defense is way better than when the Buccs took them in the SB. Bengals just highlighted the problems the Chiefs had against Buccs - can't win this late in the season with a poor O line no matter how good your QB.

OffenhamSkyBlue

I don't quite get the lack of praise for the Eagles (not on here, particularly, but on sites like BBC Sport).
49ers came into that game as the best defensive unit against the rush in the whole NFL, and Philly ran roughshod over them. Sure, they had no answers when they got the ball, but they have restricted sides to fewer TDs most of the season.
It'll be a closer game against KC, i'm sure, but it won't all be down to how fit Mahomes is - Eagles are a strong side too!

Skybluefaz

I don't quite get the lack of praise for the Eagles (not on here, particularly, but on sites like BBC Sport).
49ers came into that game as the best defensive unit against the rush in the whole NFL, and Philly ran roughshod over them. Sure, they had no answers when they got the ball, but they have restricted sides to fewer TDs most of the season.
It'll be a closer game against KC, i'm sure, but it won't all be down to how fit Mahomes is - Eagles are a strong side too!
For real? I haven't seen that myself, but if people aren't giving the Eagles credit I don't know what they have been watching. Most complete side in the NFL.

I expect them to win the Superbowl, but Mahomes is a match winner on the day.

Should be a great game.

CCFCSteve

I

shame 49ers just crumbled post Purdy injury, was expecting far closer game albeit Eagles probably nicking it

tisza

People don't like backtracking. Eagles were getting pelters last few years for being a disfunctional organisation who didn't know what they were doing.
Nobody was taking Hurts seriously due to being ousted by Tua at Alabama.
Then suddenly everyone wakes up and finds they have built a great roster - massively helped by Hurts rookie contract.
Eagles aren't flashy but they've got everything - best O line, good Dline, pass rush (4 players with 10+ sacks), very good corners, 2 1000yd+ receivers.
Mahomes is going to be outstanding to beat them (and his WRs aren't really that good).
Got a feeling Eagles just to hog the ball again and win comfortably. Chiefs defense much improved but probably not enough. Mahomes going to have to throw the ball (and be fully fit/mobile against that Eagles pass rush) and the Eagles secondary doesn't give up much.
Might change my mind at last minute:) but that would probably overthinking Mahomes.

rob9872

Wow! This is an incredible game. Throw in the importance, the emotion, the qb performances. Big calls, big plays. Got everything and would go down as a great game in season let alone as a Superbowl. Defy anyone to watch this and not enjoy it.

Skybluefaz

Very soft wasn't it and you could easily see the call not being made.

Mahomes is such a fabulous QB isn't he.
Yeah I ended up changing my mind in my prediction from Eagles to Chiefs a few days ago:

NFLChat.co.uk - Let's talk football

The Eagles were unlucky, they were great.
Mahomes is just better. Then you've got Andy Reid...

I'm sure the Eagles will be back. Surely though the achievement of the night has to be that Chiefs offensive line not allowing a sack?

They didn't did they? Against the sack Kings. They protected Mahomes and he needed protection with the ankle.

tisza

Great game.
Even with 2 great O lines the value of mobile QBs shone through.
All the game stats pointed to Eagles win but every now and again it's not about stats.
Eagles will be back in contention next year
Chiefs have areas they can improve on - WR,etc but their drafting last couple of seasons been really good and these players going to kick on next season

ccfcrob

A truly brilliant game ruined at the end with the softest holding call ive seen all season. It was a real shame and the game deserved to play out

CCFCSteve

A truly brilliant game ruined at the end with the softest holding call ive seen all season. It was a real shame and the game deserved to play out

I thought the same about the holding call but I’m a big fan of PFT (sky and Spotify) and Chris simms went into detail last night as to why it was definitely holding and had to be called. Basically that even small tugs on jerseys can be enough to have a material impact

Interesting analysis covering off the fact that as fans we all wanted to see one last Eagles drive but a fouls a foul and it was the right call, however soft

They also had a vid of the Eagles player admitting it was a hold but he was hoping he’d get away with it

OffenhamSkyBlue

The KC offensive line did SUCH a good job of protecting Mahomes, the sackingest D-line in the league didn't get near him all night. Shame that hail Mary never came off at the end.
No QB has ever rushed for 3 TDs in the SB before (even if they were for about 6 yds total!!) - but Hurts was under pressure and had to keep dropping deep to find his passers all game.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I thought the same about the holding call but I’m a big fan of PFT (sky and Spotify) and Chris simms went into detail last night as to why it was definitely holding and had to be called. Basically that even small tugs on jerseys can be enough to have a material impact

Interesting analysis covering off the fact that as fans we all wanted to see one last Eagles drive but a fouls a foul and it was the right call, however soft

They also had a vid of the Eagles player admitting it was a hold but he was hoping he’d get away with it
It was a hold but there's been others way worse that haven't been called, assuming because they said the receiver wouldn't have got near it. Yet if they hadn't been so badly obstructed they may have been able to. It just feels inconsistent in how it's applied.

tisza

The KC offensive line did SUCH a good job of protecting Mahomes, the sackingest D-line in the league didn't get near him all night. Shame that hail Mary never came off at the end.
No QB has ever rushed for 3 TDs in the SB before (even if they were for about 6 yds total!!) - but Hurts was under pressure and had to keep dropping deep to find his passers all game.
Like Hurts. Good QB etc but 2 of those TDs are out and out O line scores. Eagles IOL is as good as it gets.
Btw highly recommend the Kelce brothers podcast.
Both teams showed the value of having good O lines but equally (if not more) the value of having a mobile QB.

OffenhamSkyBlue

KC had really done their homework with their D-line stopping Jason Kelce creating inside holes for Hurts and his RBs to rush through. They packed that line of scrimmage and didn't really bother with much of a secondary ...

CCFCSteve

A couple of commentators were saying Eagles would struggle with the Chiefs motions and sometimes don’t settle/set themselves quickly enough. Heard a 49erss player indicating similar and they’d spotted weaknesses in their defence but didn’t capitalise because of Purdys injury

CJ_covblaze

Looks like the end for Rodgers at the Packers. The Jets are probably the right fit for him at present. Carr to the Saints is an interesting one too.

CCFCSteve

Looks like the end for Rodgers at the Packers. The Jets are probably the right fit for him at present. Carr to the Saints is an interesting one too.

I follow saints, be interested to see how Carr gets on. They just don’t seem to accept that they need to do a proper rebuild, probably because the division is relatively weak so they might have a chance of getting to post season

Still can’t get my head around salary cap stuff. This is interesting about Carr/Saints…the amount of juggling they have to do every year is crazy ! 😂

Last edited:

tisza

I follow saints, be interested to see how Carr gets on. They just don’t seem to accept that they need to do a proper rebuild, probably because the league is relatively weak so they might have a chance of getting to post season

Still can’t get my head around salary cap stuff. This is interesting about Carr/Saints…the amount of juggling they have to do every year is crazy ! 😂

Saints just need to tear it down - should have a couple of seasons back. Completely unbalanced roster.Be amazed if Carr is the answer- doubt he'll get into year 3 of that contract.

CJ_covblaze

Saints just need to tear it down - should have a couple of seasons back. Completely unbalanced roster.Be amazed if Carr is the answer- doubt he'll get into year 3 of that contract.
No chance of a third year. The off field management has been awful for years. Constantly kicking the can down the road.

tisza

Maybe more teams will now see the advantage of developing black coaches and senior management when they look at how much draft compensation the 49ers picked up. 5 good picks which should produce starting calibre players - some bright spark will put a monetary value on that but it would have to be in excess of 100 million dollars over 4 years.

Skybluefaz

Maybe more teams will now see the advantage of developing black coaches and senior management when they look at how much draft compensation the 49ers picked up. 5 good picks which should produce starting calibre players - some bright spark will put a monetary value on that but it would have to be in excess of 100 million dollars over 4 years.
Oh wow, I didn't even know that was a thing. Every day is a school day.

CCFCSteve

Saw last night that Panthers traded up to 1. Bears walked away with two firsts (2023 9th so still decent), two seconds and DJ Moore (WR).

Not bad especially as they didn’t need a QB anyway. Also as they really shouldn’t have been in first pick…that freak late Texans win has done them a massive favour !

tisza

Saw last night that Panthers traded up to 1. Bears walked away with two firsts (2023 9th so still decent), two seconds and DJ Moore (WR).

Not bad especially as they didn’t need a QB anyway. Also as they really shouldn’t have been in first pick…that freak late Texans win has done them a massive favour !
again it's the merits of a cap and draft system. Bears were a mess so cleared out a lot of cap space, took some beats last season but are now in a position to rebuild in a way few sports permit. Happy for the Vikings to regress this season, hopefully dump the Cousins contract, clear more space for 2024 and if possible trade a few older expensive players for draft picks in 2023 or 2024 - or even just cut.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

again it's the merits of a cap and draft system. Bears were a mess so cleared out a lot of cap space, took some beats last season but are now in a position to rebuild in a way few sports permit. Happy for the Vikings to regress this season, hopefully dump the Cousins contract, clear more space for 2024 and if possible trade a few older expensive players for draft picks in 2023 or 2024 - or even just cut.
But the problem with it is that it's a closed system. You can afford to just be shit for a season or two because you know come the start of a season you're still in with a chance. If they said the worst team drops out then that wouldn't be an option.

For football there are a number of potential ways you could start to sort out the problem of players being hoarded by a few select teams, including squad caps.

tisza

But the problem with it is that it's a closed system. You can afford to just be shit for a season or two because you know come the start of a season you're still in with a chance. If they said the worst team drops out then that wouldn't be an option.

For football there are a number of potential ways you could start to sort out the problem of players being hoarded by a few select teams, including squad caps.
But it stops a permanent status quo.
Middle market teams can compete with the large market teams as finance is equal. Everyone starts with the same cap.
everyone (in theory) starts with a minimum of 7 draft picks.
You can be poor for a couple of seasons but then have a chance to win/compete.
56 Superbowls only 4 teams haven't made one and that includes 2 "newer" franchises.20 different teams have won a superbowl. Few (if any) team sports come close to that level of "equality".

Users who are viewing this thread