The official NFL Thread (9 Viewers)

CCFCSteve

Time to go again.
Secretly hoping Vikings defense continues to have a nightmare so we can have a losing season in order to draft a QB.
Heading slowly into a disaster with cap issues and Jefferson & Darrisaw still to get paid. Can't afford another Cousins extension no matter how well he is playing.

Wasnt there rumours that you were tempted to go for Trey Lance. Bit of a gamble but might’ve been a decent shout for both

Not sure if you watch/listen to Pro Football Talk Tisza but Mike Florio who does it is a big Vikings fan and always has plenty to say about Cousins. Worth checking

tisza

Wasnt there rumours that you were tempted to go for Trey Lance. Bit of a gamble but might’ve been a decent shout for both

Not sure if you watch/listen to Pro Football Talk Tisza but Mike Florio who does it is a big Vikings fan and always has plenty to say about Cousins. Worth checking
Been on-and-off talk of swapping Lance for Cousins for 2 seasons but Lance kept picking up injuries and the Wilfs (Vikings owners) are still in love with Cousins. Other issue was 49ers having to go cheap at QB because of paying everyone else ruled (Bosa,Kittle, Williams,Armstead etc) out Cousins side of the deal. But they should have been in for Lance later on when they knew a 4th round pick was the price.
Florio has a love-hate thing with the Vikings & its ownership. He rightly calls them out for always settling for being okay, having a fear of failure rather than really trying to win a Superbowl - hence the continual Cousins extensions etc.
This year's defense is weaker personnel wise mainly because of the salary cap so they've banked everything on Flores being able to create a system using many mediocre/poor players. They are going to lose only decent pass rusher in Hunter to free agency end of season - again cap reasons. And yet again they'll probably be giving Cousins an extension because they'll be stuck at middle or bottom of 1st round of the draft again after another 10-7/11-6 season and a likely early knock-out in the play-offs. Personally i'd take a 3-14 season (beat Lions, Bears , Packers at home) and draft one of the 2 outstanding QBs in 2024 draft (Williams or Maye).

CCFCSteve

Been on-and-off talk of swapping Lance for Cousins for 2 seasons but Lance kept picking up injuries and the Wilfs (Vikings owners) are still in love with Cousins. Other issue was 49ers having to go cheap at QB because of paying everyone else ruled (Bosa,Kittle, Williams,Armstead etc) out Cousins side of the deal. But they should have been in for Lance later on when they knew a 4th round pick was the price.
Florio has a love-hate thing with the Vikings & its ownership. He rightly calls them out for always settling for being okay, having a fear of failure rather than really trying to win a Superbowl - hence the continual Cousins extensions etc.
This year's defense is weaker personnel wise mainly because of the salary cap so they've banked everything on Flores being able to create a system using many mediocre/poor players. They are going to lose only decent pass rusher in Hunter to free agency end of season - again cap reasons. And yet again they'll probably be giving Cousins an extension because they'll be stuck at middle or bottom of 1st round of the draft again after another 10-7/11-6 season and a likely early knock-out in the play-offs. Personally i'd take a 3-14 season (beat Lions, Bears , Packers at home) and draft one of the 2 outstanding QBs in 2024 draft (Williams or Maye).

I feel your pain. I follow saints, the cap magicians, but the cap is finally catching up with them ! Carr might squeak out a half decent season or two but expensive and just kicking the can. Be interesting to see what Flores can do with vikings defence and agree, I think for a 4th round Lance was worth a gamble, more for Vikings than Cowboys probably (although think they’ve got their own QB/cap issues coming up). Give him a year behind cousins to learn his trade a bit more and this also maybe puts pressure on cousins not to be too greedy…assuming lance looked decent

tisza

I feel your pain. I follow saints, the cap magicians, but the cap is finally catching up with them ! Carr might squeak out a half decent season or two but expensive and just kicking the can. Be interesting to see what Flores can do with vikings defence and agree, I think for a 4th round Lance was worth a gamble, more for Vikings than Cowboys probably (although think they’ve got their own QB/cap issues coming up). Give him a year behind cousins to learn his trade a bit more and this also maybe puts pressure on cousins not to be too greedy…assuming lance looked decent
A chance Saints win the division it looks really weak. Still talented if they can stay fit.

usskyblue

Bucs are going to be basketcases this year

By week three you’ll be forgiven for thinking our QB’s name is Mayfield Turnover

Otis

I have no idea what to expect with the Commanders. Though, the words abject failure do spring to mind.

Who is favourite for the Super Bowl? KC or Eagles? 🤷

tisza

Bucs are going to be basketcases this year

By week three you’ll be forgiven for thinking our QB’s name is Mayfield Turnover
defense still strong. wasting good receivers. Wouldn't be surprised to see Trask over at some time.

tisza

I have no idea what to expect with the Commanders. Though, the words abject failure do spring to mind.

Who is favourite for the Super Bowl? KC or Eagles? 🤷
So much talent will be wasted if Howell can't step up and/or the O line can't stop him getting mauled. Curious to see what Bienemy can do without a Mahomes and Kelce.

CCFCSteve

A chance Saints win the division it looks really weak. Still talented if they can stay fit.

Yeah, it’s a weak division although a lot of people are tipping falcons to come good. Still should have a good chance. As you say Saints have got a fair bit of quality/ talent, if they stay fit and/or don’t start aging overnight. Either way will be involved in some fun games I reckon

tisza

Not that surprised lions beat chiefs. Circle of NFL life - Detroit now loaded (because they've been terrible) with young high draft picks on rookie contracts.
Chiefs got away with average WRs last season because Kelce helped them get away with it. No Kelce last night, average WRs that couldn't hold onto passes and a huge Chris Jones hole in their defense/pass rush. Also Mahomes contract really starting to bite from a cap perspective.

CCFCSteve

Not that surprised lions beat chiefs. Circle of NFL life - Detroit now loaded (because they've been terrible) with young high draft picks on rookie contracts.
Chiefs got away with average WRs last season because Kelce helped them get away with it. No Kelce last night, average WRs that couldn't hold onto passes and a huge Chris Jones hole in their defense/pass rush. Also Mahomes contract really starting to bite from a cap perspective.

Great game. As you say, not a major surprise with Kelce and Jones out. The joy of the nfl with the draft system. Also Lions did well with goff deal getting two first round picks, last years behind high after poor Rams season

Mahomes is currently underpaid, so’s kelce. They reckon Mahomes might get new deal in coming weeks

tisza

Great game. As you say, not a major surprise with Kelce and Jones out. The joy of the nfl with the draft system. Also Lions did well with goff deal getting two first round picks, last years behind high after poor Rams season

Mahomes is currently underpaid, so’s kelce. They reckon Mahomes might get new deal in coming weeks
Mahomes' contract will be about creating cap space. His cap hit is massive. All these big contracts do end up biting - look at Bucs problems with Brady's even after he retired. Costing them 35 m this season. Underpaid argument is more related to the silly amounts some of the 2nd tier QBs have been getting. It is one of the reasons he's having to play with average WRs. Kelce's deal is also being pushed up by large deals for lesser TEs.

tisza

Term "rookie mistake" never more true than tonight. Lining up offside for a FG just before halftime gave Bucs a first down that led to a TD & turned Mayfield's performance around.
For some reason Vikings immediately changed up the defensive approach that had been running Mayfield ragged all first half & just let them back in the game. Usual rubbish O line performance that makes it no surprise Cousins is most hit QB in NFL - does make you wonder why they don't play at least some pre-season friendly snaps just to find a rhythm. Doesn't help not having a proper back up centre when you lose the starter about 2 minutes in. Offense gave the ball away stupidly 3 times in great positions and left way too many points out there.
Horrible run of games coming and I'll stand by taking a bad season to get all these cap issues sorted out and restructure the balance of the team.

tisza

Sickener for the Jets. Go all in, mortgage the farm and Rodgers probably out for season at least.

tisza

Vikings sloppy again. Still can't defend the run. Won the close ones last season, going to lose them this.

tisza

What a turnaround for the Commanders!! 21-3 down and went on to win the game. 😎
When Howell learns to process quicker he could be a decent QB - was the same in college. Plus your IOL isn't great - Cosmi should be playing tackle.

Darth Robins

Losing Russell Wilson to the Broncos was a bitter pill but it's been sweetened by how mind-bendingly awful they are

I'm not bitter enough to hate them just because of Russ now we no longer own their draft picks. But the fact they got Sean Payton in as head coach has helped tremendously there. Enjoying this seasons shitshow even more than the last!

This one still makes me laugh though.

1695636534619.png

Users who are viewing this thread