The Price of Fish in July (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

So last season, it's safe to say DaCosta had some... eccentric games. Towards the end, with a bit of talking through games and immense concentration, he almost managed to stay in position now and again.

It's like a break has done him the world of bad however, and he's forgotten everything he learned.

I'm assuming he was signed because he had some basic attributes, and they thought they could coach positioning etc into him. Currently, little sign of that. Mightn't we as well be blooding someone five years his junior in that case? Can they be more out of touch with the workings of a football game?

stevefloyd

Da costa seems like the guy when you're picking players in turn he would be the last one picked because no one wants him on their team but he is a massive liability and if Robins keeps persisting with him other teams are definitely going to be targetting that side of the pitch

D

Deleted member 2477

Well it didnt take long. Two games in and some on here have all ready got their boo boy for the season

TwistAndShoutCCFC1987

I think there’s a player in there , but Dacosta needs to learn to be more positionally reliable and to not shit himself everytime he gets the ball

PVA

I said this in the match thread but to repeat here, he does have some natural ability and technique. You can see that when he occasionally whips in a good cross or beats a man.

The problem is he has no football brain, no positional sense or awareness, and runs around like a headless chicken. Not a great combo.

Like you say, perhaps they thought they could improve that side of him with coaching and while there may have been a slight improvement towards the end of the season, he's back to looking incredibly erratic again.

Hobo

Da costa seems like the guy when you're picking players in turn he would be the last one picked because no one wants him on their team but he is a massive liability and if Robins keeps persisting with him other teams are definitely going to be targetting that side of the pitch

Is Robins persisting with him though? Saturday Rose not fit enough for 90 - so Dabo at CB and Da Costa comes in.

Da Costa in the team last night, because like most in the team last night, they are clearly not first choice.

Only Rose, Walker and Jones have a chance of claiming a shirt on a regular basis. Then maybe Bright once he gets up to speed.

hinckley cov

Da costa is twenty five now if he hasn’t learned anything by now he never will. A Forest fan at work said he was disappointed when we took him off Sunday, says it all really.

fatso

Well it didnt take long. Two games in and some on here have all ready got their boo boy for the season
Was he boo'd ... no.
Are people discussing what they've witnessed... yes.

If a player plays shit, we are entitled to say as much.
Sorry if that doesnt fit in with your agenda.

Maybe we should be recommending him for international honours just to keep you happy.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Is Robins persisting with him though? Saturday Rose not fit enough for 90 - so Dabo at CB and Da Costa comes in.

Da Costa in the team last night, because like most in the team last night, they are clearly not first choice.

Only Rose, Walker and Jones have a chance of claiming a shirt on a regular basis. Then maybe Bright once he gets up to speed.

It does seem quite odd. Against Forest I'd have preferred Pask in the centre and Dabo in his natural position on the right rather than DaCosta playing.

If DaCosta's positioning in training is the same as it is in games it really is odd that MR would keep choosing him.

NorthernWisdom

Was he boo'd ... no.
Are people discussing what they've witnessed... yes.

If a player plays shit, we are entitled to say as much.
Sorry if that doesnt fit in with your agenda.

Maybe we should be recommending him for international honours just to keep you happy.
They clearly think any cover we have is sub pub football, then, if they think DaCosta currently merits a place in the first team squad. Negative nancies, eh, who'd be one.

better days

There was one move when Bright looked to play it out wide to Jodi and when he saw it was DaCosta instead, he turned back inside and passed back.
Oh dear
Once players won't pass to a team mate that's bad news
No wonder the game turned after we completely dominated the first 20 minutes

NorthernWisdom

I guess my point is, he hasn't really shown signs of being able to learn instinct, he either has to concentrate furiously, and reacts to a game rather than anticipates it, or is all over the place positionally.

And given the state of play, he's now 25, not really shown signs of progressing so... better to progress one of the people behind *him* currently, no matter what their age?

SeaSeeEffCee

I do feel for him to a degree because it can't have been easy relocating to a new country during Covid and I'm sure he's struggled with that, but the reality of it is he's just not good enough for the Championship and it's difficult to imagine what the recruitment team saw in him that made them think he was worth bringing over from France.

NorthernWisdom

Oh dear
Once players won't pass to a team mate that's bad news
No wonder the game turned after we completely dominated the first 20 minutes
Years ago, remember Chris Hussey standing on the wing against Cardiff, completely unmarked, arm in the air screaming for the ball for a good five minutes. We eventually passed to him to ironic cheers.

Not sure what was worse, that we wouldn't pass to the man in space, that we didn't even notice the man in space, or that Cardiff couldn't be bothered to mark him!

Hobo

It does seem quite odd. Against Forest I'd have preferred Pask in the centre and Dabo in his natural position on the right rather than DaCosta playing.

If DaCosta's positioning in training is the same as it is in games it really is odd that MR would keep choosing him.

I get what you mean about Pask. But something isn't right there either? I don't get to see players train, but Pask has never really been played in what is supposed to be his best position. Perhaps his utility tag is because his best position hasnt been found?

I just wonder whether he really has the desire to break into the team and seize opportunities? Or whether he is just happy to coast along?

NorthernWisdom

I get what you mean about Pask. But something isn't right there either? I don't get to see players train, but Pask has never really been played in what is supposed to be his best position. Perhaps his utility tag is because his best position hasnt been found?

I just wonder whether he really has the desire to break into the team and seize opportunities? Or whether he is just happy to coast along?
I'm assuming training is what gets DaCosta in, too. He's athletic, strong, can tackle when he's there, good cross on him on occasion (as shown against Forest last year).

What he doesn't seem to have is the footballing nous to play a game however. I could imagine he maybe looks alright in training, but then gets lost when going on the pitch.

Mucca Mad Boys

Against Forest, you could see DaCosta was causing frustration amongst his team mates. One example was when he put in a good tackle on their player who was on the floor and he stopped playing whilst signalling to the ref to stop the game.

There is a player there somewhere, one thing he generally does well is his tackling. He won the ball or pressured the ball carrier into misplacing his pass when he pressed high up the pitch!

Somerset Sky Blue

From what I saw of Pask last year, he should be a reasonable sub defender who can play when required due to injuries/suspension, but not someone you want to start 20+ games.
Given our lack of options at the back currently, I would have preferred him to da Costa on Sunday (allowing dabo to start as wing back) and given him another run out yesterday, along with Allen/Shipley/Wilson and our other substitute options.

Somerset Sky Blue

Given Drysdale played over Pask last night, it would seem more unlikely than ever he has a future here.
Yes, seems to be so.
Personally, I would be using Pask at the moment as I think he will be more solid and reliable than da Costa and (currently - perhaps not in a year or two?) Drysdale. But, we don't know what goes on during training and meetings with manager.

Sky Blue Harry H

Da Costa just seems the polar opposite of what Matty James was in the composure stakes. It's as though Da Costa has rarely thought about his next move before the ball has got to him, and just plays in the moment.

Esoterica

He's our own Ali Dia, he's utterly useless. I've had shits with more football intelligence. 0 composure, 0 positional sense. Even in the mad 20 minutes against Forest last season it was obvious he hadn't got a clue what he was doing. I'm normally very protective of our players, especially when they're young and developing, or even when a player is hindered by his team mates or the role he's being asked to play, but this guy is absolutely miles below the level.

There's a couple of cracking quotes on here from last season too that he'll keep Dabo out of the team and has 'the best delivery at the club by a country mile.' 😂😂

NorthernWisdom

He's our own Ali Dia, he's utterly useless. I've had shits with more football intelligence. 0 composure, 0 positional sense. Even in the mad 20 minutes against Forest last season it was obvious he hadn't got a clue what he was doing. I'm normally very protective of our players, especially when they're young and developing, or even when a player is hindered by his team mates or the role he's being asked to play, but this guy is absolutely miles below the level.

There's a couple of cracking quotes on here from last season too that he'll keep Dabo out of the team and has 'the best delivery at the club by a country mile.' 😂😂
tbf, watching him against Forest first time out, it was a revelation to have a wing back actually getting to the byline, and shoving the ball in the box!

It's maybe more of an indictment that after that furiously positive start, it didn't exactly imbibe him with confidence to build on it...

Users who are viewing this thread