The top three places you miss most from Coventry city centre (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

So you did, must have been the Ciro Citterio horror that distracted me!

(Still own my suede jacket from there, must be 20 years and counting!)

I was more of a Nicklebys man. The hard sell in there had to be experienced to be believed.

oakey

1) The Stagebite restaurant in the Belgrade theatre. It was the first, and best, posh burger restaurant in Coventry. Used to go there a lot late 70s
2) The old Parsons Nose chippy.
3) BHS family members worked there part time and Saturdays at various times.

Otis

1) The Stagebite restaurant in the Belgrade theatre. It was the first, and best, posh burger restaurant in Coventry. Used to go there a lot late 70s
2) The old Parsons Nose chippy.
3) BHS family members worked there part time and Saturdays at various times.
Stagebite was every nice. Went a few times.

shmmeee

The games shop in Cathedral Lanes that now I completely forget the name of. Used to spend hours in there as a kid chatting to the guy and walking round town trying to find the best games to take advantage of his guaranteed lowest prices.

Intershop. It was like Amazon, but in the real world, just loads of random crap and everything you could want (at least that’s how it felt as a kid)

The arcade that’s now a Chinese restaurant. Many days wagging school spent there.

And maybe the Dog and Trumpet.

Rusty Trombone

The games shop in Cathedral Lanes that now I completely forget the name of. Used to spend hours in there as a kid chatting to the guy and walking round town trying to find the best games to take advantage of his guaranteed lowest prices.

Intershop. It was like Amazon, but in the real world, just loads of random crap and everything you could want (at least that’s how it felt as a kid)

The arcade that’s now a Chinese restaurant. Many days wagging school spent there.

And maybe the Dog and Trumpet.

Loved the Dog on a Sat night, followed by Dave's burger van, actually always had a jacket potato and cheese, followed by yet another long walk home, alone.

Last edited:

martcov

The Parson‘s Nose has to be it. „One all in“. Farmer Giles... „Steak and Kidney Pie... „plenty gravy“... Nello‘s... The Climax... The Locarno.. DJ Pete Waterman ( more than three ;-) )

SkyBlueScottie

Mr Big ( which is now The Flying Standard) Davies Sport Shop, First Sport, Upstairs Cafe at BHS. ABC Cinema, I used to work at NTL's UK head office, loved working there, meatballs for lunch from the Italian restaurant, or a Steak baguette from the little deli on the corner.

Otis

Mr Big ( which is now The Flying Standard) Davies Sport Shop, First Sport, Upstairs Cafe at BHS. ABC Cinema, I used to work at NTL's UK head office, loved working there, meatballs for lunch from the Italian restaurant, or a Steak baguette from the little deli on the corner.
Mr Big?

Slipped from my memory. What sort of place was it?

covcity4life

mine would be from my teens or childhood. never go town now

lazer quest-back when being a teen was about having fun not being anti social ,drinking,smoking and stabbing people or starting families at age 13

the fish market-prob still there but we get fish from tesco now, used to have home made fish and chips every friday and would go town with my mum and dad to get it sometimes, the smell and fish eyes,memories lol

tp woods-only miss it as it was a place we would meet when we first turned 18,prob a dive thinking back but nostalgic nontheless

edit fuck tp woods-WOOLWORTHS-lets go down stairs asap to see toys and get static shock on the stairs

Captain Dart

virgin used to be at the top of the arcade by the birdcage, think it was one of their first shops and was a great place for getting punk records.
Couple of the lads in sixth form worked there, I heard they went to pursue careers in Bransons retail empire, long long time ago, hope they did OK.

Otis

mine would be from my teens or childhood. never go town now

lazer quest-back when being a teen was about having fun not being anti social ,drinking,smoking and stabbing people or starting families at age 13

the fish market-prob still there but we get fish from tesco now, used to have home made fish and chips every friday and would go town with my mum and dad to get it sometimes, the smell and fish eyes,memories lol

tp woods-only miss it as it was a place we would meet when we first turned 18,prob a dive thinking back but nostalgic nontheless

edit fuck tp woods-WOOLWORTHS-lets go down stairs asap to see toys and get static shock on the stairs
I once got barred from Woolworths for talking to the shop mannequins.

Long, long time ago though in my defence. I was 27.

Gazolba

Owen Owen (The best store Coventry ever had. My Mum worked there so I got a discount, went in there virtually every Saturday)
Davies Sports shop (bought all my badminton racquets there)
Smithfield Hotel, Hales St (great place to take dates)

Last edited:

olderskyblue

Cellar bar in the Tally Ho. Good "hippy" crowd down there.

RedSalmon

The Midway restaurant on the third floor of Owen Owen. Always went there if I was in town as a kid and had a mushroom omlette and chips.

Farmer Giles in the Burges. Always seemed full of bus drivers having a cup of tea.

Harveys sports shop now where KFC is. Bought my first football boots there. Alan Ball white (plastic)

Three Tunns. Often enjoyed a lunch time pint in there if in town.

The Bear which got knocked down to build a bank in the early 80's. Only went in a few times but always enjoyed it.

Broadgate the way it used to be with a central island and traffic going round it.

The sheer excitement of just being in Coventry.

Sky_Blue_Daz

The courtyard
Manhattan sports
Farmer Giles

Terry Gibson's perm

The silver sword and silvers upstairs, the parrot both of these could still be there for all I know and Mercia Sports

rondog1973

There's was an Our Price on the corner but that wasn't big. There was Spin-A-Disc on the opposite side after it moved from the lower precinct. Are you talking about the one where Dixons used to be? Can't remember what that was called.

There was loads. Smiths had their own record store opposite the main shop, Woolies, HMV, Revolver. Think there was another one in City Arcade. Then up to Far Gosford Street for Hits and Misses.
Think he means MVC Dave (which I think stood for Music, Videos, Cassettes). It was a short lived store which operated a discount service if you got store membership.

This would have been the late 90's/early noughties. It was where Sainsbury's is now.

clint van damme

Owen Owen (The best store Coventry ever had. My Mum worked there so I got a discount, went in there virtually every Saturday)
Davies Sports shop (bought all my badminton racquets there)
Smithfield Hotel, Hales St (great place to take dates)

I was once the first person into the Davies Christmas sale. Was greeted by the manager who shook my hand and I proceeded to buy a set of dart flights!

bringbackrattles

absolute madhouse. Started going in there when I was 15 and getting out without a leathering was a successful night.
Saw many a man take a tumble down the stairs!
I was in the Tavern every Saturday night for a few years. Had many a scrap in there and you probably saw me flying down the stairs ! Not saying it's right but no matter if you got a black eye or bust lip you were back in the pub the next weekend. Seemed part of a night out back then.

Users who are viewing this thread