Things From Your Childhood (1 Viewer)

trevelfarandwide

Anyone used to make darts out of the stems from rockets after bonfire night? we used to put darts in the end as flights and a notch half way down and fire them off with a bit of string. They'd go for miles.
Nope, our level of productive use of surplus fireworks night stuff was to light sparklers and ram them in the nerds' coat hoods. Were were a sadistic bunch at Bishop Ullathorne.

Red John

Anyone used to make darts out of the stems from rockets after bonfire night? we used to put darts in the end as flights and a notch half way down and fire them off with a bit of string. They'd go for miles.
Oh yes!!! We used to call them French arrows for some reason, we made them out of them thin green sticks you use for gardening to keep plants up! We used to fire them up and down Annie Osborne school playing fields......and yes they did go miles! Happy days.....

Red John

I loved fireworks, buying Bangers and Air bombs and letting em off in the flats at Willenhall because they echoed!!
Throwing air bombs into the old style phone boxes was fun....and also a bit naughty when I look back on it!

bringbackrattles

A teacher at Cally Vic Webb was an ex army major and nobody fucked with him. He dressed smart with shiny shoes and expected us pupils to be the same. I saw him punch lads,grab you by the neck,throw board rubbers about,and put fear in to you. Yet he took the rugger classes and was fair in training,and you could even tackle him.Everyone saw a chance to rough him up but he took it well. Strangely enough he had more respect than the soft teachers.

clint van damme

A teacher at Cally Vic Webb was an ex army major and nobody fucked with him. He dressed smart with shiny shoes and expected us pupils to be the same. I saw him punch lads,grab you by the neck,throw board rubbers about,and put fear in to you. Yet he took the rugger classes and was fair in training,and you could even tackle him.Everyone saw a chance to rough him up but he took it well. Strangely enough he had more respect than the soft teachers.

imagine trying that now!!

olderskyblue

What I don't get is the hardman reputation for hitting kids. You wouldn't get that nowadays.

Some of them needed hitting...

olderskyblue

I understand that, and they still do now. I just can't see how it makes somebody hard to hit a kid with a stick knowing they won't get it back.

Yes, I got your point, and agree, although I got "caned" a few times, and never considered the teacher thought himself as hard, and certainly wasn't viewed that way by the kids.

vow

Playing cards at the back of the class for wraps (used to walk home with many a cut knuckles!), building peg guns, playing football on a Saturday from 9 til 5, Saturday morning TV!, shandy bass and thinking you were drunk after it, penny sweets (that were actually a penny!), wearing your school tie on the thin side as it was cool
Totally forgot about Peg guns!
Used to love building them too.

bringbackrattles

What I don't get is the hardman reputation for hitting kids. You wouldn't get that nowadays.
Times have changed Nick. Back then the cane was seen as the answer to any behaviour they deemed as being troublesome. My son never believed me when I told him as he never had even heard of corporal punishment. My dads generation got absolutely thrashed for sod all. Was it a good thing ? Tell you what many want it brought back !

skybluedan

You crazy bastard mate , I used to do the same with the thin green canes , and a shoe lace
God they used to fly for miles it seemed
Amazing mate

skybluedan

I was to young for the cane era but we used to have the scariest pe teacher called steve Wilkes , who used to say touch your toes and then get hit with a hockey stick or the rope in gym , thinking now it was probably perverted
God I was shit scared of him he used to play for coventry rugby team , him and a teacher called Chris leach or leak
Horrible cunts

Nick

Administrator
I was to young for the cane era but we used to have the scariest pe teacher called steve Wilkes , who used to say touch your toes and then get hit with a hockey stick or the rope in gym , thinking now it was probably perverted
God I was shit scared of him he used to play for coventry rugby team , him and a teacher called Chris leach or leak
Horrible cunts
A lot of it does sound a bit pervy.

Did girls get the cane too or just boys? Can't imagine what I'd do if a teacher starting knocking mine about, kids do need discipline but to beat them up. I'd kick them around the car park in front of the pupils.

skybluedan

Did girls get the cane too or just boys? Can't imagine what I'd do if a teacher starting knocking mine about, kids do need discipline but to beat them up. I'd kick them around the car park in front of the pupils.

It was definitely pervy mate

skybluejelly

I got the slipper a few times and the cane once for putting the dissected frogs from biology in the class softies (come on most classes had one) lunch box.. I know its bad looking back.. but it was worth it if you would of had of heard him scream.. do you remember how you couldn't stop laughing once one of your mates started..well we got the cane because we were supposed to be apologising to him in front of his parents and once one of you goes you all go

clint van damme

if you did some of this stuff to another adult in the street you'd be done for assault.

bringbackrattles

Sounds weird, I wonder if the teachers ever got a slap back.

By the way, I'm not one of those who cries about parents giving their kIds a smack, but grown men battering them is different.
I told my parents when I was about thirteen/fourteen that the teacher had caned me just for missing detention. My mum said I must have deserved it, while my dad added don't cry about it and just take it. Parents today would be straight down the school and kicking off. As I wrote earlier times have changed.

Nick

Administrator
I told my parents when I was about thirteen/fourteen that the teacher had caned me just for missing detention. My mum said I must have deserved it, while my dad added don't cry about it and just take it. Parents today would be straight down the school and kicking off. As I wrote earlier times have changed.
Depends what it was for though, it's still ott. While I agree fully with discipline, a grown man battering kids is strange.

bringbackrattles

Depends what it was for though, it's still ott. While I agree fully with discipline, a grown man battering kids is strange.
Looking back there were obviously a few sadists there as some teachers never caned you. One or two teachers earned respect through fear,while others got it by being friendly and being trendy etc.
My two sons I know would have chinned any teacher who hit them, not because they are yobs but would see it as an assault.

eastwoodsdustman

Horrible cunts
Were you a Cally lad too? Piggy Wilkes was a teacher when I was there.

olderskyblue

Not sure battering is the right word nick. You held your hand out and it got whacked with a cane. Stung for a bit, but not that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread