Things that annoy you (15 Viewers)

Tommo1993

The increased carelessness of pedestrians when it’s raining. Not a care in the world walking behind a reversing lorry in the best of conditions but more in a hurry because you’re getting a bit wet - while visibility is also very poor. But I suppose you wouldn’t mind if my wheel made your head look like a smashed watermelon. 🤷‍♂️

Mcbean

The increased carelessness of pedestrians when it’s raining. Not a care in the world walking behind a reversing lorry in the best of conditions but more in a hurry because you’re getting a bit wet - while visibility is also very poor. But I suppose you wouldn’t mind if my wheel made your head look like a smashed watermelon. 🤷‍♂️
Not only when it’s raining - those looking at a mobile phone while crossing are heading towards a Darwin Award

Grendel

Would you support some kind of system of grants for high performing students?

Yes and certainly on degrees which prove through the specific universities to offer certain hours lectures and tuition and employment opportunities

To me a lot of universities are just cash cows and property agents making money off inflated residence prices.

At least when I was there I did have 20 hours lectures and tutoring and an actual work placement

shmmeee

Yes and certainly on degrees which prove through the specific universities to offer certain hours lectures and tuition and employment opportunities

To me a lot of universities are just cash cows and property agents making money off inflated residence prices.

At least when I was there I did have 20 hours lectures and tutoring and an actual work placement

I’d like to see the golden handcuffs for public service come back where certain subject teachers get their loans wiped if they stay X years. I think there’s ways to help that aren’t just free for all. As much as I’d like free education until 21, the current system has produced some world class universities and I wouldn’t want funding cut completely.

Sbarcher

I’m with you on the property comment. I live in Oxfordshire and the University seems to own half the County. (Blenheim Palace seem to own the rest!).

Grendel

I’d like to see the golden handcuffs for public service come back where certain subject teachers get their loans wiped if they stay X years. I think there’s ways to help that aren’t just free for all. As much as I’d like free education until 21, the current system has produced some world class universities and I wouldn’t want funding cut completely.

I was actually going to be a teacher - I’d signed up for the years extra training at Sheffield - the profession would have much improved if I’d stuck with my original decision

Sbarcher

Although curiously they are divesting themselves of long held land in North Oxfordshire / South Warwickshire. I've tried and failed to buy at least two properties previously owned by them!
Yep lots of interest in housing developments plus an application in (mainly Blenheim land) to build the biggest solar farm outside of China.

shmmeee

As I’ve said before, there needs to be far more on offer than just Uni. A comprehensive apprenticeship programme to sit along side the academic route.

I have done both, a four year modern apprenticeship at Marconi was great for a host of reasons. But completely impossible now without mass employment.

I think you need the government to step in for some trades at least, and do what the scummy third party apprenticeship companies are doing now: handle the organisation and student experience and partner with academia for academic content. Then if the work part isn’t up to scratch they can move you somewhere else. Let smaller businesses get apprentices without the admin overhead and lumpy experience for apprentices.

OffenhamSkyBlue

The locals are not happy about that!
Too right. We need to be more secure in terms of food production in this country, so the drive towards "net zero" only being achieved by renewable energy is a total red herring. It is ludicrous that a farmer can earn more money from giving up his/her land for a solar farm than from food production!

OffenhamSkyBlue

Defendants not being compelled to be in court to hear the verdict or for sentencing. As with the bastard drug dealer (may he rot in hell) who shot Olivia Pratt-Korbell in Liverpool, the serial killer nurse should be required to be there. But if they don't show their cowardly faces, the sentencing guidelines need to be changed such that a no-show counts against them when the judge is considering mitigations. Make it known that they will get an extra 10 years on their life tariff for lack of remorse and insult to the victims' families.

EDIT: Not to mention respect for the judicial system!
I haven't named any of the guilty parties to avoid any oxygen of publicity!

Last edited:

Sbarcher

I have done both, a four year modern apprenticeship at Marconi was great for a host of reasons. But completely impossible now without mass employment.

I think you need the government to step in for some trades at least, and do what the scummy third party apprenticeship companies are doing now: handle the organisation and student experience and partner with academia for academic content. Then if the work part isn’t up to scratch they can move you somewhere else. Let smaller businesses get apprentices without the admin overhead and lumpy experience for apprentices.
I left school with crap O levels and took a Tech Apprenticeship. Managed to work my way up to be head of Division over engineers and scientists with honours etc. This could never happen now as I wouldn't even get on the starting line.

Robinshio

I left school with crap O levels and took a Tech Apprenticeship. Managed to work my way up to be head of Division over engineers and scientists with honours etc. This could never happen now as I wouldn't even get on the starting line.
I think it has turned around again to some extent - 10 years ago you needed a degree for anything . Now many large organisations going the apprenticeship route even in favour of graduates
That is certainly happening where I work with much better results

shmmeee

I think it has turned around again to some extent - 10 years ago you needed a degree for anything . Now many large organisations going the apprenticeship route even in favour of graduates
That is certainly happening where I work with much better results

Most grad schemes should be apprenticeships IMO. Any business will find it better training staff specifically. I retrained six years ago and I don’t think I’ve used a single piece of tech I was taught. It’s just a fancy application filter to find capable people.

Get back to degrees being for passion and research and jobs being about jobs. I definitely bring something others don’t as a programmer with a Computer Science degree, but am I am overall better developer than those who are self taught? Not particularly. Same for teaching TBH other than my subject knowledge.

My ex sister in law has an animation degree and has worked at Howdens in the office and now works as a train conductor. Other than killing her passion for animation, what was the point in her degree for her or the state? Wouldn’t both have been better off with a system where she could earn and also have avenues to further her passion?

fernandopartridge

Most grad schemes should be apprenticeships IMO. Any business will find it better training staff specifically. I retrained six years ago and I don’t think I’ve used a single piece of tech I was taught. It’s just a fancy application filter to find capable people.

Get back to degrees being for passion and research and jobs being about jobs. I definitely bring something others don’t as a programmer with a Computer Science degree, but am I am overall better developer than those who are self taught? Not particularly. Same for teaching TBH other than my subject knowledge.

My ex sister in law has an animation degree and has worked at Howdens in the office and now works as a train conductor. Other than killing her passion for animation, what was the point in her degree for her or the state? Wouldn’t both have been better off with a system where she could earn and also have avenues to further her passion?
I think I agree with this. The problem we have now is that universities have been run as private businesses for many years and have now got debts and property interests that mean the status quo must continue.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

Further to last post, it must be remembered that in our last season of 1-11 shirts, Mick Quinn usually wore 10 and Rosario wore 9 despite the latter playing more as a link between midfield and attack. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Peter Ndlovu wore 6.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

NorthernWisdom

Not so long ago, many major IT firms used to hire people with English and History degrees ahead of IT ones as they brought critical thinking, the ability to solve problems, and weren't encumbered with the useless knowledge so could be trained afresh.

Users who are viewing this thread