This forum - perspective (4 Viewers)

Legia Sky Blue

Not someone who posts during a match as I'd rather be watching the game, but I do enjoy reading back the match threads, particularly when we come back in a game, as its pure comedy gold and sums up how knee jerk and wrong the majority of posters are in their reading and knowledge of the game. If you want to vent your spleen during the game that's fine by me as long as if you are actually at the match you support the team, but don't moan later about hindsight when your comments turn out to be bollocks and rightly get ripped apart.

clint van damme

100% agree. This place would become completely stale and boring if everyone was 100% positive and dispassionate during the match threads. It would just become an echo chamber.

People are allowed opinions, and are allowed to voice their opinions on here. Its the whole point of the forum.

You can also point out when you feel we aren't playing well, tactics are wrong, etc. Football is about opinions.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

For me it's not about expressing opinions and saying we're playing badly,thats fie, it's about going totally over the top and acting like an hysterical school girl.

And as its a forum where people can express opinions people are quite entitled to comment on these hissy fits as well.

Nick

Administrator
Not someone who posts during a match as I'd rather be watching the game, but I do enjoy reading back the match threads, particularly when we come back in a game, as its pure comedy gold and sums up how knee jerk and wrong the majority of posters are in their reading and knowledge of the game. If you want to vent your spleen during the game that's fine by me as long as if you are actually at the match you support the team, but don't moan later about hindsight when your comments turn out to be bollocks and rightly get ripped apart.
But if we come back in a game it doesn't mean we weren't shit to start with?

clint van damme

No. But look at the reaction to the team selection Saturday, it was pathetic.
Even though with the exception of Gyokeres it pretty much picked itself due to injuries.

The side panel of the club tweet said Rose had gone home ill yet the the amount of people melting down (on Twitter) because Rose wasn't playing was hilarious.

Legia Sky Blue

Correct, but the thread title of this is perspective and the apparent failure of posters to recognise that a misplaced pass, a bad tackle or a shot off target is going to happen even in the best of games, and that some games the team will start more slowly than others. However, given this teams evident fighting spirit its probably worth giving the players in that team a bit more leeway than the doom & gloom merchants give them.

But hey ho each to their own - the match threads have made entertaining reading this season with so many instances of individual players called crap and demands for them to be subbed, followed by a quick contribution to a game changing goal. It always makes great reading to see people eat humble pie. Some accept doing so with good grace, others are more intransigent and will not accept being mistaken come what may, but either way it is very funny to read.

Brighton Sky Blue

No. But look at the reaction to the team selection Saturday, it was pathetic.
Even though with the exception of Gyokeres it pretty much picked itself due to injuries.

The side panel of the club tweet said Rose had gone home ill yet the the amount of people melting down (on Twitter) because Rose wasn't playing was hilarious.

Happy to admit I could only foresee a heavy loss given Dabo being out of position and past unsuccessful outings with Godden leading the line. As it was we restricted them to a bit of a freak goal and not much else and said as much at HT.

Also happy to own subsequent frustrated comments later in the second half.

clint van damme

Happy to admit I could only foresee a heavy loss given Dabo being out of position and past unsuccessful outings with Godden leading the line. As it was we restricted them to a bit of a freak goal and not much else and said as much at HT.

Also happy to own subsequent frustrated comments later in the second half.

Again, concern about Dabo being out of position, understandable. But people demanding we play 4 4 2 which basically put the whole 10 outfield players out of position was ridiculous.
I wasn't filled with confidence when I saw the starting 11 myself but given the absentees I could understand it, with perhaps the exception of Gyokeres

stevefloyd

I tend to avoid reading match threads these days. I never look at them or contribute to them at the time of the game as I am too wrapped up in proceedings on the pitch to look on here. I have just read through most of the Bournemouth match thread which was a big mistake. The negative comments from even before kick off but especially after we go a goal behind really take the biscuit. These are from people, supposedly fans, ‘supporters’ of the team. All I read is a barrage of moaning and criticism which takes little account of the circumstances surrounding the game. If you point this out you become ‘Captain Hindsight’ (can’t believe I’ve resorted to quoting a fool like Johnson), commenting after the team has pulled a result out of the bag.it strikes me there are a few ‘Captain Hindsiight’s among our whinging fraternity on here who once the game has started are so keen to point out what Robins should have done or who Robins should have picked.

One poster puts the wave of negative comments down to the fact that football is a passionate game. If you are passionate therefore it is okay apparently to open your mouth ( or in the case of on here, start typing) before you have engaged your brain. I think I’m pretty passionate about City, attending almost all of our games home and away and spending too many hours thinking and reading about the club). I wouldn’t ever take the negative stance that quite a few have on here about Robins and about certain players. The minimum I would expect from my team is that they give their all in every game they play and that they never give up. As far as I can see we have a team that is doing that.I don’t expect us to win every game.

At the start of the game on Saturday Oggy mentioned that he had just counted something like £55 million pounds worth of talent that Bournemouth had out on the pitch, that didn’t include their bench. He estimated the value of our team at something over £4million (an over estimate perhaps as neither Gyorkeres or Hamer started). Money doesn’t always translate into talent but it is a factor that can’t and shouldn’t be ignored considering our team’s achievements both last season and this. We as a club are at a massive financial disadvantage. We are still playing with a good number of players who were with us in League 1.( Six of the starters on Saturday were with us in our promotion season, 2 of them in League 2.) Because of our finances, the team and the squad has to evolve, players who have been good for us can only be replaced by better players when the finances allow. I think that Robins and his team have managed this situation brilliantly. To have us where we are, playing the excellent football that we do is a fantastic achievement. Do our whinging friends on here give him credit? Not a bit of it from some, only snide comments about his lack of subs again etc. We even have one poster suggesting that Walker and Kane are not Robin’s ‘favourites’ and so are left out for Dabo and I think O’Hare. The inference here is that Robins would sacrifice the overall effectiveness of the team in order to play people that he likes. If there is one thing that is without a doubt, it’s that Robins has a ruthless streak (see Doyle, Grimmer, JCH etc).

Some players now seem to be the focus of these people’s anger. I think it is ironic that the ‘morons’ on Facebook are slated for their comments on Walker and Sheaf but it is okay for our friends on here to do the exact same to other members of the team. Dabo was slated throughout. He needed to be replaced, left out next week. He hasn’t had the best few games lately but he has sometimes been played out of position on the left or as on Saturday, at centre half. During our tremendous fight back at the end of the game he was integral to the way we pressed and kept the ball moving. I didn’t see any of the ‘Hindsight’s’ acknowledge this or the glorious pass he made inside the fullback to Kane during this period. Even when Dabo isn’t on top of his game he contributes positively with his energy and athleticism. His clearence in front of goal from Sharp last week was a point saving challenge. It’s not often that I agree with Grendle but I think he is absolutely right in his comments on O’Hare. We have one person on here who ironically has O’Hare as his avatar who seems to spend match time pointing out each mistake he makes. There is no recognition to the immense contribution he makes to our team simply through the way he never stops chasing and harrying opponents. If we didn’t have him in the team we would be far less effective. Like Dabo, even when he isn’t at his creative best, his contribution is a huge part of the way we play. His dribbling and passing ability are only one part of his game. Thankfully he seems injury proof because if he was out for any length of time I think we would struggle.

Kelly is apparently now past it. He is not at this level any more, if he ever was. Like Doyle he needs to be put out to lower league pasture. Now, Liam didn’t have his best passing game Saturday, but at the risk of repeating myself, he gives the team much more than that. It was him I think who pressured the Bournemouth player into the poor pass which lead to the sending off. He provided the assist firstly by nutmegging his player then having the grit and determination to keep going when he had lost the ball in order to supply the cross from which Godden scored. (another player who needed to be replaced according to a few posters on here). This is the Liam Kelly, not at this level, who had the skill to time and weight his pass to perfection for his assist against Bristol City and who smashed what was to be the equaliser against the Blackburn post with a tremendous shot. Let’s forget about his leadership and organisational qualities and bomb him from the team. Jodi Jones was another criticised. He was a player who looked like a 12 year old who had won a raffle to be in the team apparently. Let’s ignore his contributions to the pressure we exerted in the last 15 minutes.

Kane, Sheaf and Walker have become martyrs to our whinging friends, left on the sideline by a manager who doesn’t appreciate them ( but who somehow rated all three enough to spend his limited budget on bringing them to the club). I like all three players, like I do with all of our squad. I don’t think that they have been treated unfairly at all and the notion that Robins picks his favourites is just laughable. For what it’s worth, I think we would have lost that game had their player not been sent off. However he actually went because of the pressing the team were doing, the pressure that they were putting on the ball. In other words, good, never say die, football from our team. I also think that in the first half we played well. Bournemouth offered no threat until the 45th minute and we actually made the better chances against a team worth £50 million plus more than ours. Conceding that goal, a goalkeeping error rather than fault of team or tactics, meant that the sky had fallen in for some posters. This post won’t make any difference to them, but it makes me feel better.
ISB I agree with everything you say there, I have made negative comments about the team and certain players from time to time because I am so passionate about the club I absolutely love.
We as human beings are all different but many have us have the same traits some of us moan a lot and some of us always see the good ohhh how I wish I was the latter because sometimes the moaning I do pisses myself off but unfortunately the red mist descends and off I go again, its not a trait I am proud of but equally I recognise it and would love to change it but again unfortunately because of my passion I 'vent off' on here and when I watch CCFC with my son as an outlet. I would say that the majority of habitual moaners in the world that look at themselves through clear tinted glasses and not the rose varieties and analyse their own conduct and would dearly love to change but again unfortunately can't, I am not saying it cannot be done but I find it hard not to give an opinion, I guess its because, on my part anyway, I am so desperate for my team to do so well and having supported CCFC for over 50 years through thick and many many many thins its become second nature to be continually disappointed by our results and failure but have I ever strayed and thought I will support another team... ABSOLUTELY NOT, its engrained in my soul to support Coventry City FC and this season and the few seasons before this its been an absolute joy for myself and the younger fans, who never had the fortune to see us in the prem, see us finally have some success and long may it continue.

Mucca Mad Boys

Sorry match threads are for venting in the heat of the moment. Come at me bro.

Would it be as sensible to go through after we throw away a promising start and start quoting everyone who was positive? Don’t be daft.

There’s a middle ground to be had. Obviously the match threads are for live reactions, but some of the opinions thrown out there are a bit cringeworthy, emotional and wrong.

A lot of people (football fans in general), need to calm down. We have the luxury of a manager we should trust wholeheartedly and he is backed by a team who will go the distance for him.

It’s a great time to support our club, let’s enjoy it!

shmmeee

This is a good point that a few on here seem to struggle with.

Going 2 nil down to a vastly superior team does not mean the players are all useless cunts nor does it mean Robins has fucked it.

Not sure they were vastly superior TBF. They barely had a shot on goal and we gifted them two soft goals. That’s the frustration. If it was like the games last season then fair enough.

PVA

Not sure they were vastly superior TBF. They barely had a shot on goal and we gifted them two soft goals. That’s the frustration. If it was like the games last season then fair enough.

I agree they weren't vastly superior on the day, but they are a clearly a much stronger side. The fact they didn't look vastly superior is testament to the fact we actually played ok, rather than a reason to berate the players, IMO.

clint van damme

They moved the ball better than any team we've played this season and we're one of the best at winning it back, . We were chasing shadows for good hour, though admittedly there wasn't a lot of end product.

stevefloyd

They moved the ball better than any team we've played this season and we're one of the best at winning it back, . We were chasing shadows for good hour, though admittedly there wasn't a lot of end product.
We may be one of the best at winning it back but continuous giving it back at times frustrates and draws negative comments but we did limit them to a fluke goal or 2 all game and kept pressing to force an error from them and then we took over big style

SBAndy

We may be one of the best at winning it back but continuous giving it back at times frustrates and draws negative comments but we did limit them to a fluke goal or 2 all game and kept pressing to force an error from them and then we took over big style

Think he meant that they were one of the best teams at winning it back. The wind definitely didn’t help us in the first half as even long clearances we’re only making it to within about 40 yards of our goal, but I’d say we created the clearest chance of the first half as well (Kane’s cross to Godden). It’ll happen in games; we can’t expect to be dominant in every moment of every game. I thought we were sloppy on the ball (Dabo, Hyam and Maatsen particularly) which didn’t help the cause at all.

Nick

Administrator
Sometimes the opposition are good though Nick

Of course.

It doesn't mean that if after 34 minutes somebody says "we are fucking awful" and we score a last-minute equaliser that we weren't awful before 34 minutes.

People don't seem to be able to understand the timing of the comments and use blanket hindsight.

clint van damme

Of course.

It doesn't mean that if after 34 minutes somebody says "we are fucking awful" and we score a last-minute equaliser that we weren't awful before 34 minutes.

People don't seem to be able to understand the timing of the comments and use blanket hindsight.

I don't think that's what he's referring to though, and it's nothing to do with hindsight it's just applying a bit of common sense.

I know its probably a wum account but we had Robins out thread on Saturday evening FFS!

Nick

Administrator
I don't think that's what he's referring to though, and it's nothing to do with hindsight it's just applying a bit of common sense.

I know its probably a wum account but we had Robins out thread on Saturday evening FFS!

Yep, was just Wumming and if you look at the reactions it wasn't as if anybody agreed with him.

A lot of it is to do with hindsight as often you have people come on after the game and go through posts from during the game, completely ignoring any context.

Of course people watching the game might be annoyed if a player misses a one on one in the 15th minute, just because they then score in the 75th minute it doesn't change what happened earlier on. For example.

clint van damme

Yep, was just Wumming and if you look at the reactions it wasn't as if anybody agreed with him.

A lot of it is to do with hindsight as often you have people come on after the game and go through posts from during the game, completely ignoring any context.

Of course people watching the game might be annoyed if a player misses a one on one in the 15th minute, just because they then score in the 75th minute it doesn't change what happened earlier on. For example.

But that's not what I'm arguing against.
Being pissed off, for example, because O'Hare misses a sitter is understandable.
Using it as an excuse to continue the 3 year campaign you've been waging against him (not you personally) is fucking deranged.

Mucca Mad Boys

Considering where both clubs were two season ago, Bournemouth are undoubtedly a ‘vastly superior’ side to us. Take a look at the relative values of both our sides and even our results -they’ve lost two games all season.

We matched them tactically and look at how much Robins is getting out of players like: McFadz, Kelly, Dabo, Godden, Hyam, Sheaf and the rest.

No one would have said we’d be competing in the playoffs with a side that was largely playing in League 1 two seasons ago.

Evo1883

Again, concern about Dabo being out of position, understandable. But people demanding we play 4 4 2 which basically put the whole 10 outfield players out of position was ridiculous.
I wasn't filled with confidence when I saw the starting 11 myself but given the absentees I could understand it, with perhaps the exception of Gyokeres
People wanted us to play 442 ? Is it 1996 ?

Joking but seriously 442 with our personell ? No thanks

Last edited:

Evo1883

We weren't shit Saturday to start with though tbh

Bournemouth had 1 chance basically first half , and the wind swung it in .

Yea we were sloppy at times with the ball but we defended really well , were organised and reduced a top side to basically nothing

NorthernWisdom

We weren't shit Saturday to start with though tbh
No I'd agree. Dabo is no centre back! And it wasn't exactly free-flowing football, but the wind looked something else. And we competed with Bournemouth, let in a freak goal late in the half.

It's a game we really had little right to expect anything out of, other than competing. Last season we did similar and the reaction was more favourable, which suggests that maybe expectations have gone a little wild, given the resources available to us relative to our opponents.

shmmeee

Same as Swansea though. Lots of possession and no end product.
Considering where both clubs were two season ago, Bournemouth are undoubtedly a ‘vastly superior’ side to us. Take a look at the relative values of both our sides and even our results -they’ve lost two games all season.

We matched them tactically and look at how much Robins is getting out of players like: McFadz, Kelly, Dabo, Godden, Hyam, Sheaf and the rest.

No one would have said we’d be competing in the playoffs with a side that was largely playing in League 1 two seasons ago.

Oh no they’re definitely a class above as a club hence my gloomy predictions. Just saying on the day it was frustrating to let two soft goals in when we’d kept them at bay mostly.

Evo1883

As the seasons wore on , the expectations are this for me right now .

Get to boxing day in a good place after the next 3 matches , be it 6th 7th or 8th and we can make some progress from that point on and the only way we will make the playoffs is if come April, we are already 5 or 6 points in it already as our run in is pretty daunting .

I personally am now thinking we will finish around 8th or 9th at this point

Which would be remarkable and a really good amount of progress made

Sky Blue Pete

As the seasons wore on , the expectations are this for me right now .

Get to boxing day in a good place after the next 3 matches , be it 6th 7th or 8th and we can make some progress from that point on and the only way we will make the playoffs is if come April, we are already 5 or 6 points in it already as our run in is pretty daunting .

I personally am now thinking we will finish around 8th or 9th at this point

Which would be remarkable and a really good amount of progress made
Booooooooo

Evo1883

To make the playoffs I think we need a really good run at some point , 6 or 7 games where we win 5 or 6 in 7 games .. if we continue with the inconsistent form which alot of teams to be fair are showing , we won't ever be able to pull away to make enough room for the run in

We need about 44 points from 26 matches .. a big ask

Users who are viewing this thread