This team will be better than the 22/23 team (1 Viewer)

Greggs

Injurys are a factor though. Must be the first time in years where we've had a fully fit squad.

Cally Fedora

Completely agree with this. The Gyokeres and Hamer cash has been invested to give us a more rounded squad. And one that we “own”. We have the big pebbles at the bottom of the jug in place and we’ve just got to add the infillers. The cycle moves on. You can imagine us inevitably getting big cash at some point for the likes or Wright, Kitching, Sheaf, Van Ewijk. That then goes back in. Gyokeres and Hamer were the leg up we needed. I think this squad will be better than 22-23 - maybe in shorter order than we think.

Bristol sky blue

Agree with OP. What do people think we need to do in January? Am wondering if we will sign a left winger / left sided attacker as we are potentially formidable down the right already. Obviously Hamer replacement. Maybe a CF with good aerial ability - with Wright and Simms running the channels and going for far post crosses.

SkyBlueSam01

Disagree entirely.

The sensible approach when we didn't perform perfectly in the first 10 games would have been to sack the manager and new recruitment department, overhaul the entire squad in January, and the owner to step aside and take his 5 year plan with him.

Plenty of the more intelligent posters on here suggested these reasonable adjustments and I don't understand why the professionals who run the club had their heads so far in the sand.

Last edited:

skyblu3sk

I always thought this season was always going to be the difficult 2nd album so set myself up for that. I think if we keep the bulk of the players together next season is our year. Especially if we can sprinkle one or two with quality in midfield as that's where I think we will lose the battle. Great to see players with obvious quality bedding in and hopefully Simms will get a goal or two very soon.

Brighton Sky Blue

The missing ingredient is certainly in central midfield and more depth is now needed out wide assuming we persist with this system, but sure the club knows that. Likewise McF and Godden replacements will be needed in the summer, but at that point you’ve already got the squad core in place.

Amazing what difference a change of system makes.

skyblu3sk

The missing ingredient is certainly in central midfield and more depth is now needed out wide assuming we persist with this system, but sure the club knows that. Likewise McF and Godden replacements will be needed in the summer, but at that point you’ve already got the squad core in place.

I think the McF replacements are already here but with you on Godden and midfield. I'll be delighted with a set defence and a settled strike force playing in a known formation. The midfield isn't too far away either.

covcity4life

Nice and positive.

Now next time they to remember this when things don't look so great

SBAndy

Squad’s in a decent place, few areas we could tidy up. Centre mid certainly but having changed system now I don’t think it’s quite as necessary to get the “Hamer replacement” as it were (although it would be nice!). Said about Styles and Max Bird which would give us decent balance in there. Could also do with one or two wide forwards.

The key for me is we’re now in a position to do some succession planning. It’s not a case of plugging the gaps in the starting 11, we can be a bit smarter and bring in players to develop into their role.

skybluecam

I think we needed to add more in the summer and already have a Hamer replacement in the wings. So we need a centre forward that can score and a box to box midfielder - so just the spine of the team then effectively

Gyokeres and Hamer piss all over anything in the current squad. Still massive doubts over Haji Wright and to suggest he’s better than Gyokeres would be laughable.

There has been some positive signs in recent weeks but I wouldn’t get carried away.

This side won’t get in the play offs. So it can’t be ‘as good if not better’.
I think the point is, look at our 22/23 team. Our best back 5 was probably bidwell, Doyle, Fadz, McNally, BNC. That’s 3 loanees and a 36 year old. The entire formation/tactics were also largely reliant on Hamer’s playmaking and Vik’s hold up play to be successful. And there was very little quality outside of the first 11.

With our current squad we’re not reliant on loans, and don’t have one or two key players that are carrying the rest. It’s more balanced, and there’s more quality on the bench.

I think the only addition really needed to the starting 11 is a dynamic centre mid. Then maybe depth on the wings or at right back.

shmmeee

Think we’ve got a bit to go TBH, but definitely seeing green shoots.

I suspect from now to the start of next season: Ayari/Binks go back (no big deal), Fadz, Kelly and O’Hare to go (a huge chunk of the old team “personality” plus O’Hares creativity). Moore, and maybe a couple of fringe players. Possibly one of Dasilva and Bidwell as I suspect neither are exactly what Robins wants on that side

We’d need to add in: CM x 2, AM, LB, ST, LW, RW, CB x 2. That’s another 9. We’ll probably have another £10m from Vik plus whatever is left over. Though we’ll probably have to spend big(ish) at AM and CM at least.

Most of those aren’t likely to be first team straight away, just LB, CM (who well probably get in Jan), and AM (assuming O’Hare doesn’t re-sign). So we should be able to hit the ground running, but a lot will depend on how much the players who stay keep the vibe going IMO.

Of the likely squad next season you’ve got the following here since before this season: Wilson, maybe Bidwell, Allen, Eccles, Godden, and Sheaf. And none of them bar Sheaf are likely to be first team regulars.

Brighton Sky Blue

I suspect from now to the start of next season: Ayari/Binks go back (no big deal), Fadz, Kelly and O’Hare to go (a huge chunk of the old team “personality” plus O’Hares creativity). Moore, and maybe a couple of fringe players. Possibly one of Dasilva and Bidwell as I suspect neither are exactly what Robins wants on that side

We’d need to add in: CM x 2, AM, LB, ST, LW, RW, CB x 2. That’s another 9. We’ll probably have another £10m from Vik plus whatever is left over. Though we’ll probably have to spend big(ish) at AM and CM at least.

Most of those aren’t likely to be first team straight away, just LB, CM (who well probably get in Jan), and AM (assuming O’Hare doesn’t re-sign). So we should be able to hit the ground running, but a lot will depend on how much the players who stay keep the vibe going IMO.

Of the likely squad next season you’ve got the following here since before this season: Wilson, maybe Bidwell, Allen, Eccles, Godden, and Sheaf. And none of them bar Sheaf are likely to be first team regulars.
Equally you can see the new core of the team taking shape to replace the previous one.

shmmeee

Equally you can see the new core of the team taking shape to replace the previous one.

Definitely. And it’s hard to tell if O’Hare coming back or the upturn in form are best to blame for the new found cohesion. I just worry you lose you captain and vice captain and the social energy and the ones left tend to be on the quieter end of the scale.

Brighton Sky Blue

Definitely. And it’s hard to tell if O’Hare coming back or the upturn in form are best to blame for the new found cohesion. I just worry you lose you captain and vice captain and the social energy and the ones left tend to be on the quieter end of the scale.
Good results are always going to help with morale, as is a player returning from a serious injury. If it's also true that the management decided to prevent the usual going on holiday during the international break that will also have helped with the cohesion.

Definitely interested to see what we do in central midfield next month assuming it's not raiding Barnsley again

Hertsccfc

I agree. People put on some sky blue tinted specs when thinking about last year’s team.
Maybe but equally it could be argued that those same specs are getting a further wearing because of a few improved performances in recent weeks. We know it would only take a couple of poor performances for opinions on the squad to change again.

I think what was most pleasing about yesterday was the sort of commitment shown across the team which was reminiscent of last season.

baldy

I can’t see Bidwell or Da Silva leaving yet tbh

Evo1883

Maybe but equally it could be argued that those same specs are getting a further wearing because of a few improved performances in recent weeks. We know it would only take a couple of poor performances for opinions on the squad to change again.

Some though (me) maintained we had played alot of good football this season and just simply weren't getting results when we were creating the chances to do so ..

The change to a 4 allowing us the extra midfielder seems to have changed the team ( I didn't think it would ) and we've lost 1 in 6

TomRad85

With 2 or 3 more players , this team will go above and beyond that of the 22/23 season

The foundations of this team are far superior already , the squad already in a better shape and we can see already how hard we can be to beat .. we've also seen when we turn it on we can be a real threat, several new signings looking above what previous squads of ours were at this level , you'd argue the back line is the best it's been under Robins entire tenure ..

We are a team for the future no doubt
Next season I predict will be a good one

Exciting
Are the 2 players Hamer and Gyokeres?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

David O'Day

Within time and with more money spent. We're still well below the levels of last year but it's improving.

After 22 games last season (following the 1-0 win against West Brom), we were 1 point off the play offs. We are currently 8 and probably 9 off the 6th after West Brom play later.

It's coming together and some of the players previously struggling are settling.
We were also then in the middle of a run of 11 games with 2 wins, 5 defeats and 4 draws so that is slightly misleading

Gint11

I agree with the OP as long as the team sticks together. For all we know 5/6 of them move on in the summer.

pusbccfc

We were also then in the middle of a run of 11 games with 2 wins, 5 defeats and 4 draws so that is slightly misleading

Yep, absolutely. Reading just before was shite. Swansea was a poor result and then we got turned over at Sheffield United and against Wrexham.

The point still stands about the position though. We're miles off the play offs.

Users who are viewing this thread