Ticket prices outstrip the cost of living (1 Viewer)

Otis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29614980

The average price of the cheapest tickets across English football has risen at almost twice the rate of the cost of living since 2011.

BBC Sport's Price of Football study analysed how much fans are charged at 207 clubs.

The average price of the cheapest match-day ticket from the Premier League to League Two is now £21.49.

It has increased 13% since 2011, compared to a 6.8% rise in the cost of living.

Year-on-year it is up 4.4%, more than treble the 1.2% rate of inflation.

Price of Football 2014: What makes the perfect football pie?

Critics of the price hikes said clubs had lost touch with fans and argued that the recent £3.1bn windfall from television rights should have resulted in a drop in ticket prices for supporters.

But some clubs, particularly those in the Premier League, point to packed-out stadiums as proof they have got pricing right.

The Price of Football is in its fourth year and is the largest study of its kind in Britain, covering 176 clubs across 11 division in British football and 31 clubs from 10 different leagues in Europe.

As well as ticket prices, information was gathered about the price of replica shirts, pies, programmes and a cup of tea. For the first time this year Price of Football worked out the cost to supporters for each home goal their team scored.

Here are some key findings:

• Arsenal have the most expensive match-day ticket in the Premier League at £97. That's down £29 on last season but still more than double the most expensive match-day ticket at seven other top-flight clubs
  • The Gunners also have the most expensive season ticket in the top flight at £2,013, although it includes seven credits for cup competitions. Their cheapest season ticket is £1,014, which is more than 17 Premier League clubs charge for their most expensive one.
  • Manchester City have the league's cheapest season ticket at £299. That's cheaper than at 15 Championship clubs, 10 clubs in League One, four in League Two and even one in the Conference.
  • Charlton's £150 season ticket is the cheapest in England's top four divisions. However, Barcelona charge around £103 for their lowest-priced season ticket.
  • In Scotland's Premiership the average price for the cheapest day out at Premiership matches, including a match-day ticket, pie, cup of tea and a programme, increased by just 61p to £26.95 from last season.

Otis

Arsenal have the most expensive match-day ticket in the Premier League at £97.

Have to say, as big a City fan as I am, there is no way I would ever go pay £97 for a game of football. Not even half of that!

For me I would say my absolute ceiling would be about £32. Any more than that and they would permanently lose me as actice fan.

£97 is outrageous.

Otis

Be interested to hear other City fans' views.

How much would be too much for you? At what point is it where it becomes the straw that breaks the camel's back?

stupot07

Some if those snippets are a bit misleading. I.e. How many £299 ST's are available and the football league play 23 league games not 19 like in the PL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Evo1883

Football in england is simply too expensive , without a season ticket its going to cost somebody over 500 quid to watch league 1 football regularly . In all fairness how is it correct for say a team like manchester united to charge 50-80 quid a match when they have just signed a deal that will see them recieve 75 million a season from 1 sponsor .
the germans have it right

Marty

I would have been priced out of football years ago if we were still in the premier. People don't seem to understand my view point, I want a reasonably successful team, but I don't want us back in the prem making up the numbers, I want to be excited.

Otis

I would have been priced out of football years ago if we were still in the premier. People don't seem to understand my view point, I want a reasonably successful team, but I don't want us back in the prem making up the numbers, I want to be excited.
Am guessing that if we do get back to the Premier League we will charge around £30-£35 a ticket.

ajsccfc

Be interested to hear other City fans' views.

How much would be too much for you? At what point is it where it becomes the straw that breaks the camel's back?

If I was going to the occasional game I'd bite the bullet and pay the £22 or whatever we charge, but for a season ticket I'd baulk if it reached £20 per game, at least outside the top division.

No matter how much disposable income I have (for reference, I own a lot of those Simpsons Lego figures now) I couldn't fathom paying almost £100 for a league match. Rare cup final maybe, if it had a once in a lifetime air to it.

Ashdown

It's a little bit out of control. Ticket money is a bit 'take it or leave it' in the Prem and that has drip fed down to the lower leagues. I'm not ready to commit to a season ticket again with SISU at the helm but am galled also to have to pay £24 on a matchday until I get time to sort out a package. Football was an absolute must for me until the wheels really starting coming off for CCFC and the fanbase and hope leaked away, now I shall go to home games only when it suits and away matches when a train and a few beers are involved to a decent Town/City. The hedge funds stint in Northampton broke the addiction for me, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Barcelona and Real Madrid is the same price as Bristol Rovers, something seriously wrong in England.

We supposedly the biggest league in the world and the highest sponsorship deals, television revenue etc. yet they continue to rip off the customer.

Users who are viewing this thread