Today is the day. (1 Viewer)

skyblue025

After years and years of dross I have been waiting for the team to bottle it/go on a losing run/throw it away. At the start of the season I thought a mid table finish would of been progress.

Today is the day I honestly think we will go up. Seeing the atmosphere at the Ricoh today to what it was a year ago is a total contrast. There was just apathy, no belief and a feeling that we were just going through the motions. Today there was belief, optimism and a smile on people's faces. The football is good on the eye, the players look like they give a shit and try. I noticed an extra block was opened today. Here's hoping there is another one open for the next game.

Play up Sky Blues.

bringbackrattles

Yes it was a great day being a City supporter and the atmosphere was great too. Fifty years a supporter and haven't felt so positive about a team for so so long.Mowbray is building something good and reminds me of when Jimmy Hill came into our club,and his Sky Blue dream took a few seasons to get going but when it did the rest is history so they say. Yes let's not get carried away just yet,but without doubt things look promising.

zuni

"the players look like they give a shit and try" that's all I want....them to give a shit like we do....and for once it seems this squad do

Otis

Yes it was a great day being a City supporter and the atmosphere was great too. Fifty years a supporter and haven't felt so positive about a team for so so long.Mowbray is building something good and reminds me of when Jimmy Hill came into our club,and his Sky Blue dream took a few seasons to get going but when it did the rest is history so they say. Yes let's not get carried away just yet,but without doubt things look promising.

Belief is so important and we now seem to have that by the bucket load. We must be feeling pretty invincible right now and that is what confidence brings you.

We aren't now just winning we are now thumping teams. 3 goals against Peterborough, 4 against Barnsley, 3 against Colchester, 4 against Gillingham. In fact, we have now scored 4 on 3 occasions and 3, 4 times.

Winning, scoring, entertaining and top of the league, 3 points clear. It doesn't get much better than this.

Houdi

Belief is so important and we now seem to have that by the bucket load. We must be feeling pretty invincible right now and that is what confidence brings you.

We aren't now just winning we are now thumping teams. 3 goals against Peterborough, 4 against Barnsley, 3 against Colchester, 4 against Gillingham. In fact, we have now scored 4 on 3 occasions and 3, 4 times.

Winning, scoring, entertaining and top of the league, 3 points clear. It doesn't get much better than this.

You're exactly right belief and confidence do play a huge part. You only have to look at Murphy who has turned from at times a hesitant inconsistent player who seemed to have a fragile mindset, to an absolute star who has visibly grown in confidence to be now an automatic choice and presently our most dangerous and influential player.
I have never really bought into the view that most players don't care, I think our problems in the past that a lot of our players weren't simply good enough,end of. I think for example Webster cared as much as most players do, and I would really fault his effort, but he just wasn't very good.
Its just the same with Mowbray v Pressley, I doubt if Mowbray cares more than Pressley did, indeed no one really doubted Pressley effort commitment or desire, the difference is that Mowbray is simply a better manager.

capel & collindridge

Yes it was a great day being a City supporter and the atmosphere was great too. Fifty years a supporter and haven't felt so positive about a team for so so long. Mowbray is building something good and reminds me of when Jimmy Hill came into our club,and his Sky Blue dream took a few seasons to get going but when it did the rest is history so they say. Yes let's not get carried away just yet,but without doubt things look promising.
I entirely agree with BBR in his description of how it felt then and feels again now. But I disagree about saying it took "a few seasons to get going". Jimmy Hill was appointed in November 1961. His first signing was Willie Humphries in April 1962. Ronnie Rees was a product of our youth teams and was given his debut in the first team in May 1962. With Humphries on the right wing and Ronnie Rees on the left the team were transformed. The speed with which the players moved and the ball was played was unrecognisable from anything served up previously at Highfield Road. For me, that was when I first got really excited about the quality of the play. The Sky Blue Revolution was already up and running off the field and on. JH took us from 14th in the Third Division the season before his appointment to 4th in his first season in the Third Division. We were promoted as champions the following year. You can 't get much quicker than that.

Last edited:

skybluesam66

How on earth did you get to hear about my plot to finally polish off the wife today?
i am getting concerned - last week you were going to flatten her, now you are adding mister sheen to her. Sounds like some fettish of making her into a table top

st john

After years and years of dross I have been waiting for the team to bottle it/go on a losing run/throw it away. At the start of the season I thought a mid table finish would of been progress.

Yes, it was Gillingham who bottled it, by contrast our key players know that they have the ability above this league without being arrogant about it.

bringbackrattles

I entirely agree with BBR in his description of how it felt then and feels again now. But I disagree about saying it took "a few seasons to get going". Jimmy Hill was appointed in November 1961. His first signing was Willie Humphries in April 1962. Ronnie Rees was a product of our youth teams and was given his debut in the first team in May 1962. With Humphries on the right wing and Ronnie Rees on the left the team were transformed. The speed with which the players moved and the ball was played was unrecognisable from anything served up previously at Highfield Road. For me, that was when I first got really excited about the quality of the play. The Sky Blue Revolution was already up and running off the field and on. JH took us from 14th in the Third Division the season before his appointment to 4th in his first season in the Third Division. We were promoted as champions the following year. You can 't get much quicker than that.
Fair enough but it did take five seasons to get us to the First Division. That's not a bad statistic but some think Jimmy did it quicker.But to me Jimmy Hill is a legend and it was him that got me to keep going to Highfield Road with my late father,as he turned us from a mediocre Third Division outfit into a top flight one.

capel & collindridge

Fair enough but it did take five seasons to get us to the First Division. That's not a bad statistic but some think Jimmy did it quicker.But to me Jimmy Hill is a legend and it was him that got me to keep going to Highfield Road with my late father,as he turned us from a mediocre Third Division outfit into a top flight one.

OK, I see what you mean. But once you reached the second tier, with only 2 up 2 down, it always took longer to get into the top tier. Jimmy took us there in just three seasons (10th, 4th (no play-offs then) then champs). That was the fastest anyone had done that in the post-war era. Even Alf Ramsey took Ipswich up from the third division in 56-57 but didn't get up from the second to the first division until 60-61. I make that four seasons in the second tier compared with Jimmy's three. Of course Alf Ramsey then famously won the first division title in his very first season in the top flight. But perhaps this just shows how difficult it was to get out of the second tier. JH's record from 62-66 was simply the best. Until Mowbray of course!

Skyblueweeman

You're exactly right belief and confidence do play a huge part. You only have to look at Murphy who has turned from at times a hesitant inconsistent player who seemed to have a fragile mindset, to an absolute star who has visibly grown in confidence to be now an automatic choice and presently our most dangerous and influential player.
I have never really bought into the view that most players don't care, I think our problems in the past that a lot of our players weren't simply good enough,end of. I think for example Webster cared as much as most players do, and I would really fault his effort, but he just wasn't very good.
Its just the same with Mowbray v Pressley, I doubt if Mowbray cares more than Pressley did, indeed no one really doubted Pressley effort commitment or desire, the difference is that Mowbray is simply a better manager.

Great post that. Agree entirely about the 'not caring' sentiment and that it's actually talent, not desire that is a massive difference this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread