TODAY ! (1 Viewer)

Bob Latchford

30 years ago we started out on our famous FA Cup run all the way to Wembley and into dreamland. 30 years later, we're not even playing in the 3rd round
1f625.png
how times have changed..................
15873133_10154088243132541_6050346870111076968_n.jpg

Nick

Administrator
Must admit, these threads are decent compared to the ranty stuff ;)

even got a bit of a mention on the game last night with Mabbutt.

shy_tall_knight

Only game of the cup run that I missed, had been to the home game v Luton on new years day and as a Uni student cash was tight (had been to spurs Man city & QPR away over the Xmas period).I'm sure Phil Neal was managing Bolton at the time - had no impact on my decision not to go just a side note.

Probably because Bolton were in the third division, I thought it was too low a standard of football to watch !!!!!

Bob Latchford

Bob, you're like the Jim Brown of SBT mate. Maybe he can cut you in on some free tickets? :D
The season before was shocking. the following 2 seasons were magical .

torchomatic

The only year - obviously, I suppose - where i went to every round of the FA Cup. From the third to the final. Amazing to think it was 30 years ago.

Bob Latchford

Only game of the cup run that I missed, had been to the home game v Luton on new years day and as a Uni student cash was tight (had been to spurs Man city & QPR away over the Xmas period).I'm sure Phil Neal was managing Bolton at the time - had no impact on my decision not to go just a side note.

Probably because Bolton were in the third division, I thought it was too low a standard of football to watch !!!!!

Indeed , PN was their manager that day . I hear what you're saying re finances. as a young'un myself, I paid on the day home and away that season yet , ended up getting a ticket in the Spurs end off a chef who had sod all to do with football. meeting fans on the train down to Wembley who told me they hadn't been for many years , didn't help my mood either.

torchomatic

We all went to all the rounds but i was the only one of our crowd who had a ticket to the final. They watched the game in a bookies.

Bob Latchford

Just look at John Sillets face on that picture, can't have been a more proud man
Anywhere on the planet at that moment. Fantastic :)
Definitely . Sky Blue through and through. so much passion for CCFC. shook his hand once, he nearly crushed it .strong as an ox. when I spoke to him , re CCFC he was more excited than I was . a truly wonderful man .

Bob Latchford

Me and my dad sat in the stands v Bolton and I recall it was a freezing day. A nice easy 3-0 win and the rest is history. Went to every match except the Old Trafford tie but never thought we'd go on and lift the trophy.

Was like an ice rink HR that day . 12000 hardy souls there that day .

bringbackrattles

We all went to all the rounds but i was the only one of our crowd who had a ticket to the final. They watched the game in a bookies.
Me and my mate went on the train but it got delayed so when we got in we were one down. We were squeezed in behind the goal and thought we'd get crushed to death as were like sardines in a can. But it was worth it and a day I'll never forget.

Bob Latchford

Me and my mate went on the train but it got delayed so when we got in we were one down. We were squeezed in behind the goal and thought we'd get crushed to death as were like sardines in a can. But it was worth it and a day I'll never forget.
Yes , was packed .very much like Sheff Wed in the quarters .

torchomatic

We went on the train. The only thing i remember is queuing up in a big shed before getting on the train. I was quite high up in the stands to the right (looking at the pitch) at the end where Houchen scored. I actually remwmber very little of the day.

Last edited:

Bob Latchford

Stoke away was a tricky game until Gynn the flying postman did the business !
Yes , think there was 8000 of us there that day. to be fair , Stoke made us work very hard for our win even though they were in Division 2 .

bringbackrattles

We went on the train. The only thing i remember is queuing up in a bit shed before getting on the train. I was quite high up in the stands to the right (looking at the pitch) at the end where Houchen scored. I actually very little of the day.
We were in that queue too ! It snaked round outside and was you on the train that got delayed as well ? Some vandalism at Willenhall so we weren't happy with that. To be honest all I saw were the sides of the pitch inside Wembley, and just jumped about after our goals along with the rest !

Bob Latchford

He was but Gynn is a postie now seen him on his rounds.
He is indeed . he's been a postie for many years now. I worked in Bishop Street for a very short time. [Crap Job] used to pass by him as he prepped his mail. he seems even shorter in real life ;)

covcity4life

And this year we march to the checkatrade trophy final and win more silverware

Poetic

Russel slades sky blue army!

torchomatic

We were in that queue too ! It snaked round outside and was you on the train that got delayed as well ? Some vandalism at Willenhall so we weren't happy with that. To be honest all I saw were the sides of the pitch inside Wembley, and just jumped about after our goals along with the rest !

Yeah, i remember it being massive and snaking around the shed. It was a bit like the way you queue at a theme park. I remember it taking quite a while before we got n the train.

Terry Gibson's perm

I went to the Bolton game and then missed the next couple but then back on the bandwagon for the quarters;). I was only 12 so away trips were rare for me as it was still a bit interesting around the grounds at that time, my dad was a big supporter late 70's early 80's and had been in some interesting situations (a broken hand and arrested at a Wolves away game, a rough time at Anfield) so he wasn't that keen on me going even by 87.

cloughie

30 years ago where's that gone?
I also went to every round. Man Utd arranged to meet my mates at the station but they all stayed in bed due to the night before ( and probably thinking we would get beat ) So I thought Fook it I,m here so I'm going. so glad I did, Great Memories

Just makes it even more painful to witness the shambles of now

bringbackrattles

He is indeed . he's been a postie for many years now. I worked in Bishop Street for a very short time. [Crap Job] used to pass by him as he prepped his mail. he seems even shorter in real life ;)
Not sure I've mentioned it but sod it here goes. As I'm a window cleaner I was working on Ansty Road a few years ago and got a new house to clean.I knocked the door to get some water and a chap came out and went and filled the bucket. He looked familiar and noticed the Cov top I had on and said am I a big fan of the City etc ? Then it dawned on me who he was,it was Ernie Machin ! He was a great bloke and we chatted for a while and his missus said when am I going to clean the windows ! He told me some stories about players in his day over a cuppa came away a bit starstruck. I cleaned the house a few times and was saddened at his death.
But Ive got that great memory and that means a lot as Ernie was one of my heroes.

torchomatic

I remember the Utd game being really icy too, but i may be thinking about another trip there.

Bob Latchford

Not sure I've mentioned it but sod it here goes. As I'm a window cleaner I was working on Ansty Road a few years ago and got a new house to clean.I knocked the door to get some water and a chap came out and went and filled the bucket. He looked familiar and noticed the Cov top I had on and said am I a big fan of the City etc ? Then it dawned on me who he was,it was Ernie Machin ! He was a great bloke and we chatted for a while and his missus said when am I going to clean the windows ! He told me some stories about players in his day over a cuppa came away a bit starstruck. I cleaned the house a few times and was saddened at his death.
But Ive got that great memory and that means a lot as Ernie was one of my heroes.

Think EM went into football management. sure he managed Bournemouth in his time .

Wasn't Earnie Hunt a fellow window cleaner in his retired days from football ?

torchomatic

On another note, 28 years ago today we lost at Sutton. A game I was unfortunate to be at. Cocky and confident.

Brylowes

On another note, 28 years ago today we lost at Sutton. A game I was unfortunate to be at. Cocky and confident.
Played Norwich the week after at CR, was in the away pub (think it was the Clarence harbour)
Before the game,( it's gone now) was packed with Cov and all good natured.
TV on the wall showing football focus, obviously a big segment on our demise at Sutton and
The mood darkened, we left for the game and later on the word went round that someone had
Thrown the TV out the window.
Don't know if this was true though.

Users who are viewing this thread