Too many games... (1 Viewer)

ecky

JOB has said "we are playing too many games and it is taking it's toll on a lot of players.".

On Saturday Doncaster looked fitter and stronger as the game went on.
Could the sloppy goals be down to lack of fitness and hence a loss of concentration?
Why is it for years now we have struggled with fitness levels?

On another thread the prematch warm up is pretty non existent compared to other teams, this must be changed for next season.

It's pretty poor when we can't even get the basics right I'm hoping TM can see this and will change it

skybluelee

Are we playing more games than anyone else? Its not as if we've had long cup runs that have taken their toll.

Malaka

What Bollocks, we have nearly played 40 players this season and no cup runs

skybluepm2

I know that the main problem (Pressley) has gone, but we are still left with his backroom staff which I find frustrating. I'm assuming that TM was told that the club couldnt afford to get them all off the wage bill so like it or lump it.

It's all well and good him enforcing the regimes and programmes but it does come down to how talented the coaches are in my eyes. We seem to have done the same warm up routine for years. As well as the players, we could do with a complete clear out of the staff from top to bottom. Oggy still in charge of the goalkeepers. I'm sorry but I just can't see what he brings to the table. He shouldn't be guaranteed a job for life just because he did the business between the sticks for a few years. In that case lets get Hedman back, I'm sure he needs a few quid!

Otis

JOB has said "we are playing too many games and it is taking it's toll on a lot of players.".

On Saturday Doncaster looked fitter and stronger as the game went on.
Could the sloppy goals be down to lack of fitness and hence a loss of concentration?
Why is it for years now we have struggled with fitness levels?

On another thread the prematch warm up is pretty non existent compared to other teams, this must be changed for next season.

It's pretty poor when we can't even get the basics right I'm hoping TM can see this and will change it

JOB has said "we are playing too many games where we lose and it is taking it's toll on a lot of players.".

There we go. Have amended that for him.

torchomatic

Agree. time for a clear-out. Not just McFarlane (who, fair enough, will follow Pressley anyway) but Oggy and the rest of them too.

I know that the main problem (Pressley) has gone, but we are still left with his backroom staff which I find frustrating. I'm assuming that TM was told that the club couldnt afford to get them all off the wage bill so like it or lump it.

It's all well and good him enforcing the regimes and programmes but it does come down to how talented the coaches are in my eyes. We seem to have done the same warm up routine for years. As well as the players, we could do with a complete clear out of the staff from top to bottom. Oggy still in charge of the goalkeepers. I'm sorry but I just can't see what he brings to the table. He shouldn't be guaranteed a job for life just because he did the business between the sticks for a few years. In that case lets get Hedman back, I'm sure he needs a few quid!

skybluebeduff

Agree. time for a clear-out. Not just McFarlane (who, fair enough, will follow Pressley anyway) but Oggy and the rest of them too.

No Oggy can stay, he is CCFC through and through, we need that at this club, because there isn't anyone else in our staff who can say that.

Sbarcher

If TM stays after the season end, I think maybe he would have negogiated his own team in for the new season. For the rest of this season his hands are tied, but with the release of out of contracts and the return of loans, it will free up money to be spread how he sees fit.

CovLis86

Where's it got us though these past 15 years?

Id say the Gk position is where ive had the least concerns for many years across the team. Many sub par performances from defenders, non existent midfield and strikers who cant hit a barn door. Oggy must be doing at least alright as a coach, and with his history and Coventry through and through, he has to be kept.

torchomatic

Really? I love Oggy as much as the next man but it's about success on the pitch not what he did in the past. He coaches the keepers.

Lee Burge. I rest my case.

No Oggy can stay, he is CCFC through and through, we need that at this club, because there isn't anyone else in our staff who can say that.

torchomatic

Sentiment doesn't win us football matches. Coaching probably does. If I was Mowbray in the summer I would say thanks for all you've done for the club, but it's time we tried a different approach.

Id say the Gk position is where ive had the least concerns for many years across the team. Many sub par performances from defenders, non existent midfield and strikers who cant hit a barn door. Oggy must be doing at least alright as a coach, and with his history and Coventry through and through, he has to be kept.

aviles

This is the first bad year for goal keepers i seem to recall a lot of people slating Murphy when he first came in !! Oggy does a good job look at Westwood and Murphy. Lee Burge is young and is never going to be a world class keeper i think he is getting first team football far too soon our issue is lack of investment in the area. What was pressley thinking signing Allsop on loan for a couple of months when we had no back up

chiefdave

He doesn't sign the players so you can't really blame him for one keeper you don't think is up to the job. In recent years I think the GK position has been the least of our problems. We've regularly had keepers who have saved us a lot of points and I haven't heard a departing keeper have anything but praise for Oggy.

Even if you just look at this season Allsop and Burge have both made improvements. Most managers bring their own people in yet Oggy has stayed under manager after manager. Find it hard to believe that would have happened if he wasn't up to the job.

NorthernWisdom

He doesn't sign the players so you can't really blame him for one keeper you don't think is up to the job. In recent years I think the GK position has been the least of our problems. We've regularly had keepers who have saved us a lot of points and I haven't heard a departing keeper have anything but praise for Oggy.

I was always interested that Jim Blyth didn't rate Murphy in the slightest. It seemed slightly... unusual as a reaction to me, but did make me wonder what about him in particular meant he wouldn't touch him.

duffer

Really? I love Oggy as much as the next man but it's about success on the pitch not what he did in the past. He coaches the keepers.

Without wishing to be unfair to Burge, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I can't remember too many keepers going backwards under Oggy's stewardship, unlike a lot of outfield players I can think of (many of whom clearly seem to have improved more at other clubs than they have under our various incarnations of coaches and managers).

I can't see any pressing reason to get rid of Oggy; like others have said I think it's good to have someone there that is a genuine club man through-and-through, and who also knows a bit about playing at the top level.

Otis

Without wishing to be unfair to Burge, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I can't remember too many keepers going backwards under Oggy's stewardship, unlike a lot of outfield players I can think of (many of whom clearly seem to have improved more at other clubs than they have under our various incarnations of coaches and managers).

I can't see any pressing reason to get rid of Oggy; like others have said I think it's good to have someone there that is a genuine club man through-and-through, and who also knows a bit about playing at the top level.

You can't, but unfortunately, Oggy has come out and said he really rates the lad.

Worries me immensely that Burge seems to struggle with the very basics of positional play.

Covstu

We have had great success in keepers over the recent past, Murphy, Westwood, Kirkland etc. The latter two we sold for great profit, surely some of that success comes down to the coaching side?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Always seem to be looking for an excuse to hide behind it would seem. How many of our squad have played every game? How many players have we used, how many of the squad have played little first team football this season? Have we played more regularly or more games than other teams? Why with 8 games to go are our players not fit but other teams players are up for the fight? Why is it other teams step up and we go hiding? Where are the leaders on the pitch - the only one I saw doing that on Saturday was Pennington. Burge hasn't got the experience (should have got that earlier in the season when it wouldn't have counted so much) but far too often is left exposed by amateur defending. Burge needs to do better but hell who would want to be in goals behind that team defending like that.

Hard to blame the pitch this time around, yes it was bobbly although that isn't the greatest problem. The biggest problem is the fact the pitch hasn't got deep roots so the surface gives when players are not expecting it causing them to slip. But for 30 minutes we were passing the ball around well and looking confident, then for the rest of the match we went in to hiding and Doncaster were passing it around easily enough. CCFC were simply poor and error prone

On the day there were school boy errors, balls not cleared even taken back in to danger areas and lost, physical challenges not made, confidence just drained away. There are players on there with enough experience to do better not just run around like headless chickens. Donny were organised but nothing special, infact for the first half they were awful.

There is nothing to be hidden behind for the players on Saturday....... they were simply not good enough after 30 minutes and lost out in every area from then on.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

We have had great success in keepers over the recent past, Murphy, Westwood, Kirkland etc. The latter two we sold for great profit, surely some of that success comes down to the coaching side?

Don't think Oggy was the keeper coach for Westwood (not that I can find who was, mind you! Westwood also went for free btw), and he certainly wasn't for Kirkland.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

We've had some decent keepers since relegation from the Premier League and Championship over the years. Off the top of my head:

Fulop
Marshall
Kasper Schmeichel
Westwood
Murphy

Easy to forget that we were treated to Westwood and Murphy for the past 6 seasons so naturally our expectations will have been raised. I don't think Oggy is a problem particularly and both Burge and Allsop showed and are showing improvements.

NorthernWisdom

fair cop, he's gotta go then. :)

He was supposedly useless when a general coach, and whether true or not I dunno, but there were comments his youth selections were based on size more than ability - hence why we bossed youth football as we were stronger than everyone else, but once the players grew up, we had the ones who couldn't pass a ball.

As far as I can see however, he's been pretty harmless as keeper coach.

Silence_Is_The_Enemy

think he was more getting at the point its been 3 weeks of saturday tuesday games caused by bradford making it to the quarters in the fa cup we were one of only 4 teams to play that day

Terry Gibson's perm

If JOB started to use his brain more rather than running around like his arse is on fire then he wouldn't feel nearly as tired.

Gint11

Oggy a club legend of course, I too question what he contributes behind the scenes to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gint11

As for JOB, he does need to stop running around the pitch like a headless chicken, he can't win games on his own, hold your position and maybe you won't be knackered!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

higgs

Would love to see murphy back on loan till end of season a wise old head to Marshall the defence

Users who are viewing this thread