Total Dominance (1 Viewer)

gruffskyblue

My first ever game was against Oxford United in 1987 at HR. So, I’ve been watching the city for 35 years now and I’m trying to remember a game we have dominated like todays for the full 90mins. I mean we just completely ran the game from start to finish. Obviously I’ve been used to us being the better side for most of the games under Robins, but to completely run the game for the full extent is impressive. In the prem years we were often on the back foot against top opposition, so would rarely get the opportunity to dominate.

Can anyone think of a Cov game with such total dominance? Not just the scoreline, but the free flowing football. It was an absolute joy.

ovduk78

My first ever game was against Oxford United in 1987 at HR. So, I’ve been watching the city for 35 years now and I’m trying to remember a game we have dominated like todays for the full 90mins. I mean we just completely ran the game from start to finish. Obviously I’ve been used to us being the better side for most of the games under Robins, but to completely run the game for the full extent is impressive. In the prem years we were often on the back foot against top opposition, so would rarely get the opportunity to dominate.

Can anyone think of a Cov game with such total dominance? Not just the scoreline, but the free flowing football. It was an absolute joy.
If that was the 3-0 win against Oxford just after 1/4 final FA Cup win that was pretty one-sided?
The 4-0 win at Carlisle under Pressley was another one and under MR the 2-0 win against QPR last season.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Oxford were dreadful. Very little effort,ambition, closing down players and giving ball away constantly. They were very fortunate that they didn't concede 8,9 or even 10 plus goals.

Otis

We obviously didn't enjoy total dominance today, Gruff, not when looking at the match thread.

Lots of "pathetic" "weak" "sloppy passing" and many moany comments all game. 😂

Reading through you would think we scraped a lucky 1 nil in a poor performance.🤪

I was expecting a happier 6-2 read back to be honest.

SBbucks

Bury at home in 2016 springs to mind. 4-0 at HT, ended 6-0.
But yes, we were equally dominant today, massive gulf in class considering there’s not even a full division between us at the moment.
Reminded me of being hammered in the cup by Arsenal (2012?) when the gap felt enormous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hertsccfc

I actually think the home game against QPR just before the World Cup last year was one of the most dominant performances I have seen. The scoreline didn't entirely reflect how good we were that day.

Brylowes

I remember watching a home match v Tranmere in the promotion season at St Andrews, completely dominated from first kick to last, some fantastic football and I’m sure we created almost 30 chances with shots on target well into double figures.
Tranmere managed just 1 shot on target all game 🤔 so obviously we lost 0 v 1 🙄

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I remember watching a home match v Tranmere in the promotion season at St Andrews, completely dominated from first kick to last, some fantastic football and I’m sure we created almost 30 chances with shots on target well into double figures.
Tranmere managed just 1 shot on target all game 🤔 so obviously we lost 0 v 1 🙄
That game was ridiculous - I was furious after that game. Couldn’t understand how we’d lost it. Didn’t we lose to Rotherham just before that aswell?

Skybluedownunder

That indeed, was a delight! Remember it well! And we even had Ally Pickering at RB!

giphy.gif

SBT

I promise this isn’t me trying to be negative/ungrateful etc…..but given how much we battered them today, did we really need to play Tats/MVE etc? Or would a week’s break just have interrupted the momentum?

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I promise this isn’t me trying to be negative/ungrateful etc…..but given how much we battered them today, did we really need to play Tats/MVE etc? Or would a week’s break just have interrupted the momentum?

Two words, International break's.

Brylowes

That game was ridiculous - I was furious after that game. Couldn’t understand how we’d lost it. Didn’t we lose to Rotherham just before that aswell?
Yeah you’re right Rotherham was just a week or two before, I never ventured to St Andrews so watched the Tranmere game on TV, I was at Rotherham though and we were bloody woeful’ lost 4 v 0 and I think someone for us was sent off.

SBbucks

7 years ago we lost 4-1 to Oxford in the league. We really have come on!!

Dismal day in November, one of the very worst performances I have seen. That was the day I knew we were going to League 2. The only bright spot was Reice Charles-Cook being chased by Alsatians at half-time, looked petrified.

Manchester_sky_blue

Dismal day in November, one of the very worst performances I have seen. That was the day I knew we were going to League 2. The only bright spot was Reice Charles-Cook being chased by Alsatians at half-time, looked petrified.

Alsatians? 🤔 This sounds like a fever dream

SBbucks

Alsatians? This sounds like a fever dream

You would think so but it actually happened, some sort of dog display team got out of control while the subs were on the pitch at half time. Also remember Andre Wright and Dan Agyei laughing at the supporters as they wandered off at HT. We were 3-0 down and they couldn’t give a shit.

hinckley cov

If that was the 3-0 win against Oxford just after 1/4 final FA Cup win that was pretty one-sided?
The 4-0 win at Carlisle under Pressley was another one and under MR the 2-0 win against QPR last season.
Wasn’t that the game that guaranteed a semi final ticket , and most of them left with 20 minutes to go.

ovduk78

Wasn’t that the game that guaranteed a semi final ticket , and most of them left with 20 minutes to go.
Probably was. Do you think that is why @gruffskyblue was taken to that one? 😉🤣 From memory semi final tickets weren't that difficult to get hold of, I went with 4 others & only 1 who went a couple of times beforehand.

Users who are viewing this thread