Transfer targets (21 Viewers)

slowpoke

I'd be surprised if we got Swift , as WBA want big money for him. Plus he is 28 so probably doesn't fit our transfer model of signing younger players.
For me , if we are to make a big statement in the second half of the season & beyond, Adam Wharton @ 19 is a superb player & Sammie Szmodics , although 28 is a pain in the arse to play against & knows where the goal is . Blackburn aren’t the most flush of teams & who knows with a cheeky double bid ?
Liam Millar@ Preston , has just elevated himself into a new price bracket & we know only too well how he took Joel to the cleaners , a month or so ago & at 24 would be a great addition

Agree with Wharton he’s a real prospect and Blackburn not very flush but he’s one with a bright future.

Perryccfc

I would love to see us take Grimes off Swansea, always thought he’s a top player, no doubt will run the midfield tomorrow now I’ve mentioned him.

Someone on Sky Blues Extra podcast mentioned a name I haven’t heard before, Leandro Berreiro from Mainz. Said someone at the Athletic said we were keen in the summer, only has 6 months left on contract and very highly rated. Interesting link if nothing else.

JoeCCFCPUSB

Barry Bannan is 34, he has 1 goal in 20 games this season and will be only big money, absolute zero chance of signing him. What would we pay for him? a million quid and offer him a 2 or 3 year deal? it's a no brainer to avoid Bannan.

long way home

Lad from Mainz would be a good bit of business, but id imagine we will be in a queue with a few big clubs looking a getting him.

Seems to fit what we need and an age that fits the group. Interesting name which will not be the last linked over the next few weeks.

JoeCCFCPUSB

How much £ do you think we will have to spend in January? and come the summer genuinely where do you think we will have placed in the table?

shmmeee

How much £ do you think we will have to spend in January? and come the summer genuinely where do you think we will have placed in the table?

If we don’t sell O’Hare, and maybe even if we do I could see us just getting a couple of loans in. Unless we’ve got someone lined up to replace Hamer, but if nothings agreed I could see us sticking with what we’ve got. The feeling may be that this season is a gamble to get to the play offs, and we need to replace O’Hare in the summer plus Viks money might come in. Then we give it a proper go next season.

Finish 8-10, everyone moans we should have spent to get over the line.

JoeCCFCPUSB

My only concern with this approach is if we do leave it until the summer before we bring in any new faces we run the risk of our current players picking up injuries and the new signings taking a while to bed in, similar to the whole new crop this season. It's taken them all a real long time to settle in and that is expected, i hope King brings in at least 2 players this January.

Astute

My only concern with this approach is if we do leave it until the summer before we bring in any new faces we run the risk of our current players picking up injuries and the new signings taking a while to bed in, similar to the whole new crop this season. It's taken them all a real long time to settle in and that is expected, i hope King brings in at least 2 players this January.
Big difference here.

From the end of the last game of last season to our last game there wasn't a single player on the pitch both games. That's some serious bedding in. Bringing in a player or two mid season is a different matter.

Player injuries? Would only make a difference if this player or two were direct replacements for the injured players.

And if you're worried about a couple of new players not bedding in at the start of the season how about not bedding in on the run in?

Seamus1

Sem Steijn of FC Twente to me looks like he has a bit of talent. Admittedly unlikely as Twente finished 5th in the Eredivisie last year. But, 22 years old, 15 goals from 40 games in midfield for Twente, having previously scored 18 in 40 for Den Haag

Or, just blow the lot on Duk and Miovski at Aberdeen

Jesse Carver

I have zero itk knowledge, just throwing a name out there. Lewis Ferguson, ex Aberdeen currently at Binks' parent club Bolonga, midfielder, scores a few and is highly thought of out there. Probably out of our price range as just signed a new deal but just thought I'd put it out there. Feel free to slaughter my suggestion 🤭

Linked to Juve & Lazio who have been quoted in the region of €25 - €30m for him.

Jesse Carver

We apparently nearly got Swift last window and has played well this season. I like him

Looks like he knocked us back:-

And speaking to Birmingham Live, Swift discussed the summer transfer in his services, and he outlined clearly that he never wanted to leave The Hawthorns for Coventry, saying:

“To be honest it was so late in the window, I had no idea of it and when it did come about I knew it was two days left and nothing was going to get done – and even if it did I didn’t really want to leave.

“As soon as I found out I rung my agent and told him I didn’t really want to go, I wasn’t interested in leaving. I wanted to stay and had my head on staying whenever we finished the game against Swansea last season. That’s how it is in football, some things come right at the end [of the window], but for me it was a no-brainer to stay.”

Deity

I did say that we tried. West Brom were happy to sell because of their financial challenges. His wages were a big issue for West Brom and too high for Cov.

He needed a pay off to move on ….

kimbie87

Joshua Kitolano top of the wishlist for me. Plays for Sparta Rotterdam in a midfield three. Strong, aggressive and good technique and has started adding a few goals to his game.

He's the most Gus like player I've seen available in that he's comfortable sitting in midfield but also has a bit of a creative side when going forward. Right age and would have a good resale value.

procdoc

Mathias Delorge

19 years old, centre midfield. 20 appearances, 1 goal 3 assists in Belgium

Lazare Amani

centre midfield, 19 games, 4 assists. Also plays in Belgium

Timothé Cognat

Centre midfield, plays in Switzerland. 18 games, 2 goals and 3 assists

Skyblue Bangkok

I did say that we tried. West Brom were happy to sell because of their financial challenges. His wages were a big issue for West Brom and too high for Cov.

He needed a pay off to move on ….
He's approaching 29 , I think too old in terms of players we have been signing.

Fergusons_Beard

Mathias Delorge

19 years old, centre midfield. 20 appearances, 1 goal 3 assists in Belgium

Lazare Amani

centre midfield, 19 games, 4 assists. Also plays in Belgium

Timothé Cognat

Centre midfield, plays in Switzerland. 18 games, 2 goals and 3 assists

Yep-these are the sort of signings we’ll be making-we ain’t shopping in places everyone feeds at.

We are trawling the unknown leagues for gems that few folks know about.

That’s what the genius’s at Statsbomb will provide.

It’s what Brentford and Brighton have been doing for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Deity

I think any material investment will be in players of an age where they can improve and be sold on again. However that doesn’t apply to every transfer.

Brighton spend big money on young talent but then add the likes of Milner, Wellbeck, Lallana ….

I think we are trying to emulate that model

Skyblue Bangkok

Yep-these are the sort of signings we’ll be making-we ain’t shopping in places everyone feeds at.

Delorge

Delorge no relation of the player of the same name we used to have a long time ago ?

SBAndy

You want trawling through the unknown leagues? Here you go then:
  • Sebastian Nanasi
  • Albert Gronbaek
  • Bartlomiej Wdowik
  • Theo Leoni
  • Arthur Vermeeren
  • Adem Zorgane
  • Mathijs Tourraine
  • Sinan Karweina
  • Leopold Querfeld

JoeCCFCPUSB

agreed

Totally agree, we should be going in the market for Japanese players, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, lower league player in the efl and other similar.

Users who are viewing this thread