U18/U21 Development Thread (10 Viewers)

Terry Gibson's perm

Cashman on the bench at Altrincham now, he is to lightweight and somebody needs to end his misery and say he isn’t going to be a pro anymore.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Just read the report from the other day and says he was eligible for 16s last season so suggests he is 1st year. Must be a very decent prospect then
Supposedly, though I believe Callum Perry is also a first year and has feature regularly at the back for the U21's this year.

From what I recall, of the current second years Bradley Stretton has already got a two year deal. No idea if any of the others will get one as you'd expect any that were being considered to be regularly around the U21's but none of them are. I seem to notice Charlie Manners being picked out for praise recently, and is top scorer I think, but whether that means anything is anyone's guess.

They've kept quite quiet about the academy since the current academy boss took over. Didn't even say who got deals or released last year or introduce the new intake this. Has been a bit more info on results etc. the last month or two and they recently updated the U18 profiles on the official site to include the current first years.

Reactions: vow

Winny the Bish

Supposedly, though I believe Callum Perry is also a first year and has feature regularly at the back for the U21's this year.

From what I recall, of the current second years Bradley Stretton has already got a two year deal. No idea if any of the others will get one as you'd expect any that were being considered to be regularly around the U21's but none of them are. I seem to notice Charlie Manners being picked out for praise recently, and is top scorer I think, but whether that means anything is anyone's guess.

They've kept quite quiet about the academy since the current academy boss took over. Didn't even say who got deals or released last year or introduce the new intake this. Has been a bit more info on results etc. the last month or two and they recently updated the U18 profiles on the official site to include the current first years.
I remember when you used to be able to watch 5 min highlights of U18s games and get articles on the offal about everything. Now we're lucky to get a write-up on games they play that are more than just manager quotes.

no_loyalty

Bilson starting in goal for Scunthorpe, already conceded 2 in the first 11 minutes.

larry_david

Clean sheet for Billson last night against york. Some praise for him too although everyone was kicking off as he was time wasting when scunny needed the win. Also a few comments about his shambolic kicking including this:

Idk who taught Tom Billson how to kick a ball, but It's laughable. Looks like a half decent shot stopper, but how you can't kick a ball properly as a goalkeeper genuinely baffles me. Didn't find his man once yesterday.

Elsewhere Costello subbed at HT, Alvechurch match postponed and finally our new lad Di Trollo started again for St albans, part of defence that's now 5th in the league. For a 17 Yr old centre back to be playing every game at national South level, he must be half decent. I'd put him in the one to watch bracket.

shmmeee

Clean sheet for Billson last night against york. Some praise for him too although everyone was kicking off as he was time wasting when scunny needed the win. Also a few comments about his shambolic kicking including this:

Idk who taught Tom Billson how to kick a ball, but It's laughable. Looks like a half decent shot stopper, but how you can't kick a ball properly as a goalkeeper genuinely baffles me. Didn't find his man once yesterday.

Elsewhere Costello subbed at HT, Alvechurch match postponed and finally our new lad Di Trollo started again for St albans, part of defence that's now 5th in the league. For a 17 Yr old centre back to be playing every game at national South level, he must be half decent. I'd put him in the one to watch bracket.

Same guy who’s been teaching Wilson?

slowpoke

Agreed. The comment about his kicking is not unfounded though.
While I see kicking has become a much bigger part of goalkeeping than it ever was I’ll ask a question would you sign big Oggy today if he was available and in his prime.
Think it’s fair to say his kicking wasn’t a strong point.

Otis

While I see kicking has become a much bigger part of goalkeeping than it ever was I’ll ask a question would you sign big Oggy today if he was available and in his prime.
It wasn't. Oggy's two areas of weakness were his kicking and then also on crosses.

His command of the area, positioning and shot stopping though were outstanding

Frostie

No, absolutely not, he wouldn't be able to cope with the demands of today's game. It was already becoming a bigger factor by the time he retired. Despite having many flaws himself, Hedman was a better keeper.

Grendel

No, absolutely not, he wouldn't be able to cope with the demands of today's game. It was already becoming a bigger factor by the time he retired. Despite having many flaws himself, Hedman was a better keeper.

Hedman hardly had much of a career though. It was pretty much us after a Swedish club

larry_david

Good to see Bell is back. Had a bad injury from his loan apparently. Looks like George Burroughs has been injured and back on the bench.

Bapaga can't get in, assume he's gone in the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread