Uber for Matt? (1 Viewer)

alexccfc99

Still think he has something to offer to the team for this season, but I'm really sentimental with the older guard and don't want players like Kelly or McFadzean to go either :cry:

As people say though, he's not really suited to this formation and it also sounds like he might not be happy if he's not a regular starter either (which is fair enough I guess).
Still the best finisher at the club imo, but the game is passing him by a bit with the way we're currently set up to play
I get there is no room for sentiment but it will be a sad old day for me when they have all gone

Watershed moment kind of thing

Deity

I get there is no room for sentiment but it will be a sad old day for me when they have all gone

I’m happy for the old guard to move on if they are no longer at the level we need. They deserve to play at the right level and we get the opportunity to find new players to get excited by.

I can honestly say watching Tats this season has been fantastic. Seeing his growing understanding with MVE is exciting. Toro looks to have potential, Thomas and Kitchin are growing with every game etc etc

alexccfc99

I’m happy for the old guard to move on if they are no longer at the level we need. They deserve to play at the right level and we get the opportunity to find new players to get excited by.

I can honestly say watching Tats this season has been fantastic. Seeing his growing understanding with MVE is exciting. Toro looks to have potential, Thomas and Kitchin are growing with every game etc etc
I agree which is why I said there is no room for sentiment - but it's still sad when it is time to move on they have been great servants for us

TomRad85

I agree which is why I said there is no room for sentiment - but it's still sad when it is time to move on they have been great servants for us
We might have none of the league 1 team left next season, realistically O'Hare is the only one you'd want to keep and he might bin us off ironically.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

AOM

Yep, the spine of players who have pulled us up through the leagues, but we're now outgrowing.
Was gutted to see Dabo go, but Robins usually turns out to be correct when moving players on at the right time.

Jamie Allen I'd keep for a while yet though, I still really rate him

Senior Vick from Alicante

Trouble with Godden at the minute is he is not making movement in the box. He is the typical fox in the box striker, twice in the first half two balls were fizzed across the 6 yard box and he didn't make a near post run like his type of striker usually would, no one else did either by the way. If you are a goal poacher you need to concentrate on getting in the area between the penalty spot and the goal line or your value to the team is diminished.

Gibbo

Last night when I commented to my neighbor that Simms was putting in a much better shift than Godden, he replied that Simms had had better service, which was true in part but Simms imho put himself in places where he could be passed to. But it was criminal that nobody was at the near post for that fizzing cross from MvE in the first half. It should have been Godden. If Godden is picked on Saturday I have no idea what to think.

Robins has a history of getting set against certain players and despite what people say is not better with strikers than others (JCH, Walker, Chaplin did not kick on. Two did ok, but none kicked on). You really felt at the end that no matter what Walker did it would never be good enough for Robins, even when he scored as sub. Robins also hung onto McFadz too long, is he doing the same with Godden who in reality is living on past glories

I really hope Simms is not one of those Robins sets his mind against. Simms did the right thing and got the goal. He put himself about physically and posed a threat. None of that was true of Godden.

Gibbo

Yep, the spine of players who have pulled us up through the leagues, but we're now outgrowing.
Was gutted to see Dabo go, but Robins usually turns out to be correct when moving players on at the right time.

Jamie Allen I'd keep for a while yet though, I still really rate him
But has form for being to slow to do so

covcity4life

Told You So Comedy GIF by NETFLIX

Diogenes

Robins has a history of getting set against certain players...

Why do you think that is?

I just can't get my head around the fact that he can be brutal with some, yet others he allows to hang around way past their best.

Is it just sentimentality?

Deity

My theory on Robins and Godden is that Godden is similar to the player Robins was.

Good finisher, but not quick or physical. Robins felt he was under valued and subconsciously is more sympathetic to Goddens limitations that other managers would be …..

Saddlebrains

My theory on Robins and Godden is that Godden is similar to the player Robins was.

Good finisher, but not quick or physical. Robins felt he was under valued and subconsciously is more sympathetic to Goddens limitations that other managers would be …..

Thats actually a brilliant shout, never thought of that

fernandopartridge

I think Godden is a player Robins can rely on to follow tactical instructions. I don't think his current lack of form is all on him, it's a difficult role. We play with wide forwards who's primary function is getting shots in, they're not supplying Godden. Similar to Simms generally.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

slowpoke

Godden is okay till the end of the season when I suspect he might move on fans should get off his back.

Works the line well but we have to work to his strengths that’s to his feet, he has a good first touch but it is no good having him running the channels hasn’t the legs for that.

shmmeee

I think Godden is a player Robins can rely on to follow tactical instructions. I don't think his current lack of form is all on him, it's a difficult role. We play with wide forwards who's primary function is getting shots in, they're not supplying Godden. Similar to Simms generally.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Not sure this flies after Tuesday. Can’t find stats online but it felt like Wright saw a lot more of the ball and looked more dangerous than Simms or Godden in the same role.

Seymour_East

Godden is okay till the end of the season when I suspect he might move on fans should get off his back.

Works the line well but we have to work to his strengths that’s to his feet, he has a good first touch but it is no good having him running the channels hasn’t the legs for that.
Don’t agree SP, fans pay good money to the club through lots of different revenue streams and have a right to get on his back, Godden is about as sharp as a marble.

Hertsccfc

Not sure this flies after Tuesday. Can’t find stats online but it felt like Wright saw a lot more of the ball and looked more dangerous than Simms or Godden in the same role.
I think the first part of Fernando's post stands. I do think Godden is a team player and follows management instructions. But you are right that Tuesday showed that it is possible for our central striker to perform well, get lots of goalscoring chances and score. Wright had four or five attempts on goal, in addition to scoring. Godden and Simms just haven't been playing so well.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

It’s one game, let’s see if we can keep that up. Same attacking unit against Millwall on Sunday imo.

One thing I did note is that with Wright up front, we were more willing to play the ball behind Wednesday’s defensive line. The cross for his goal was a peach and there’s not been too much of that so far.

As for Simms, it was a bad miss but out wide he played alright. Palmer starts out wide on the left for me - I think he’s looked good most games he’s played there even if he has been a ‘nearly man’.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It’s one game, let’s see if we can keep that up. Same attacking unit against Millwall on Sunday imo.

One thing I did note is that with Wright up front, we were more willing to play the ball behind Wednesday’s defensive line. The cross for his goal was a peach and there’s not been too much of that so far.

As for Simms, it was a bad miss but out wide he played alright. Palmer starts out wide on the left for me - I think he’s looked good most games he’s played there even if he has been a ‘nearly man’.

In fairness you've been one of the people massively banging the drum that the strikers playing poorly isn't their fault, but generally a lack of good service. I've noticed since Simms missed a sitter against SW that you're kind of trying to find alternative excuses such as Wright getting better service, or he's playing wide etc.

I think we just need to accept Godden has started to struggle, and as it stands Simms really isn't very good. Both can change, but these constant excuses are becoming annoying.

Hertsccfc

In fairness you've been one of the people massively banging the drum that the strikers playing poorly isn't their fault, but generally a lack of good service. I've noticed since Simms missed a sitter against SW that you're kind of trying to find alternative excuses such as Wright getting better service, or he's playing wide etc.

I think we just need to accept Godden has started to struggle, and as it stands Simms really isn't very good. Both can change, but these constant excuses are becoming annoying.
Yes it is difficult to understand why in the first match without Godden or Simms suddenly we start delivering good service to the centre forward.

Hertsccfc

I do think the characterisation of Palmer as 'nearly man' is unfair. A goal and an assist on Tuesday. Three goals and four assists for the season and he hasn't played that much.

skyblue025

Trouble with Godden at the minute is he is not making movement in the box. He is the typical fox in the box striker, twice in the first half two balls were fizzed across the 6 yard box and he didn't make a near post run like his type of striker usually would, no one else did either by the way. If you are a goal poacher you need to concentrate on getting in the area between the penalty spot and the goal line or your value to the team is diminished.
We never attack the front post. Been saying it for a couple of season's. Considering how bad our crossing is, it's the obvious place to attack as most crosses don't reach half way across the goal.

Hiraeth

It definitely felt that there were more chances on Tuesday night for Haji Wright over the course of his 66 minutes playing in front of Sakamoto, Palmer and O'Hare than there were for either Simms or Godden during their time on the pitch when we were 4-1 up already.

Felt like Simms created/had fewer chances than Wright in the 24 minutes he had after Sakamoto had been subbed.

I also felt Godden created/had fewer chances than Wright in his 13 minutes when Sakamoto, Palmer and O'Hare had all been subbed off.

Good to see Wright score last night in this round after Godden got two goals in the 18 minutes he was on the pitch against Oxford Utd in the previous round.

Think Godden, Wright, Simms and Tavares all offer something different.

We've played 14 games in 2 months since the Ipswich defeat, won 8, drawn 5 and lost 1 of them and the team have scored 33 goals in those 14 games.

In that period Wright has 4 goals from roughly 750 minutes, Simms 2 from about 750 and Godden 2 from about 400 minutes with O'Hare, Sakamoto, Palmer and Sheaf adding a load more.

I don't want to be overly complacent but I'm generally happy with our three main forwards even if each individual may not currently be in the middle of a goalscoring streak. I genuinely think they are all contributing to our recent results.

Mucca Mad Boys

So we just give up on these players? The ethos of this club is to develop players and I’m confident we’ll get with Wright and Simms. Players like Chaplin/JCH were arguably let go too early and ended up progressing nicely.

Simms just hasn’t become a bad player overnight. Watching his highlights, he isn’t playing the same way. That can be tactical and/or a run of bad form.

I’m not making excuses at all, Palmer played really well against Wednesday and he deserves to start against Millwall. Simms drops out of the team and Wright plays up front. It’s up to Simms to work his way back in the team.

If Wright starts to be criticised for poor performances as a lone striker, it would be very telling, wouldn’t it?

Mucca Mad Boys

I do think the characterisation of Palmer as 'nearly man' is unfair. A goal and an assist on Tuesday. Three goals and four assists for the season and he hasn't played that much.

I enjoy watching Palmer play and hoping he really kicks on. But, his output in terms of goal involvements hasn’t been where it needs to be to warrant a starting berth for most of this season.

Taking Norwich as an example, he missed that clear cut chance and there were a few times he’d evade 2-3 tacklers to misplace a pass.

He deserves the start against Millwall and I want to see him score and assist more.

Hertsccfc

So we just give up on these players? The ethos of this club is to develop players and I’m confident we’ll get with Wright and Simms. Players like Chaplin/JCH were arguably let go too early and ended up progressing nicely.

Simms just hasn’t become a bad player overnight. Watching his highlights, he isn’t playing the same way. That can be tactical and/or a run of bad form.

I’m not making excuses at all, Palmer played really well against Wednesday and he deserves to start against Millwall. Simms drops out of the team and Wright plays up front. It’s up to Simms to work his way back in the team.

If Wright starts to be criticised for poor performances as a lone striker, it would be very telling, wouldn’t it?
Every player looks great in their highlights reel. Kastaneer looked world class in his and Jobello looked like a Premier League player.

Hertsccfc

I enjoy watching Palmer play and hoping he really kicks on. But, his output in terms of goal involvements hasn’t been where it needs to be to warrant a starting berth for most of this season.

Taking Norwich as an example, he missed that clear cut chance and there were a few times he’d evade 2-3 tacklers to misplace a pass.

He deserves the start against Millwall and I want to see him score and assist more.
Sorry I think this is unfair. The Norwich keeper made a good save. Palmer's shot was on target. I don't get how you can defend Simms so strongly who has regularly failed to hit the target from much easier chances and in the same breath have a go at Palmer for having his shot saved.

Mucca Mad Boys

Sorry I think this is unfair. The Norwich keeper made a good save. Palmer's shot was on target. I don't get how you can defend Simms so strongly who has regularly failed to hit the target from much easier chances and in the same breath have a go at Palmer for having his shot saved.

Calling Palmer a ‘nearly man’ isn’t the insult you seem to think it is. He is getting into good positions but with the final ball has been lacking at times. At least compared to his competition. There have been a few games, where I felt Palmer was more involved than COH. The best example to my mind is the Leicester 3-1 win. Up to Palmer being subbed, I thought he looked like our most dangerous player.

Back to Norwich, the missed chance didn’t bother as much… It was the misplaced passes that frustrated me and it’s not just the Norwich game.

I defend all of our players because I want all them to do well. I will stick up for players who get a lot of unfair stick.

Wright, Simms and Godden have all come under fire this season and viewpoint on this is that they’re not all bad players. The likelihood is that something isn’t clicking tactically.

Every player looks great in their highlights reel. Kastaneer looked world class in his and Jobello looked like a Premier League player.
When you’re 22 and have a good scoring record in all the environments bar one. Including a good record with one of rivals for playoffs. That, and we faced fierce competition to sign him… The likelihood is that we’re the outlier, not him.

Seymour_East

Telling of what?
By all accounts Simms cost 3 mil. If he thinks he’s worth it then he should put his big boy pants on and step up to the plate. Wright will always be criticised due to his playing style, but I would have him ahead of Godden and Simms.

Users who are viewing this thread