Unusual Events (2 Viewers)

clint van damme

Leicester playing, I think, Burton, in a behind close doors FA Cup replay at Highfield Rd after trouble in the original fixture.
Think it was a 3pm kick off on a qeek day.

Calista

I went to this game, a 1-1 draw if I remember correctly. During the height of the troubles and they played in Hull too
I was there too. I imagined it was going to be an electric atmosphere purely because it was an international, but of course it was pretty flat. I don't even recall Eusebio :(

Cov kid 55

I was going to games by then, first game was Oct 72, but don't remember that.

Of course one of the most well known "weird games" was the Anglo Cup Winners match in 87 when we played St Mirren. Went to the home tie, which we won, but the away fixture was never played.
Talking about playing Scottish clubs, I remember we played Hibernian in a pre season friendly in the late 60’s. It was the days when Cov fans used to defend the West End with their lives against all comers. But I seem to remember that there were about 30 Hibs fans, f****** great blokes wearing kilts and Tam ‘o Shanters, standing slap bang in the middle of the West End. No one went near them. My 14 year old self was looking at them like they were alien beings….

torchomatic

Not a game but they are currently jet washing the outside of the arena, they were just cleaning the city badge as I came past.
I was at the U21 game with my lad. The dugouts have disappeared.

Terry Gibson's perm

The Nuneaton boro game was a strange event and ta odd being able to have a beer while watching the game.

torchomatic

thekidfromstrettoncamp

The Northern Ireland game .Their goalkeeper was Pat Jennings stood right behind him at the spion kop end when he pulled of the best save I have ever seen from Eusebio with his big shovels he had for hands.

NortonSkyBlue

Talking about playing Scottish clubs, I remember we played Hibernian in a pre season friendly in the late 60’s. It was the days when Cov fans used to defend the West End with their lives against all comers. But I seem to remember that there were about 30 Hibs fans, f****** great blokes wearing kilts and Tam ‘o Shanters, standing slap bang in the middle of the West End. No one went near them. My 14 year old self was looking at them like they were alien beings….
I went to that. 1-1 draw. Hibs had a very good side, Peter Cormsck, Pat Stanton, Peter Marinello, Joe Mc Bride

Tommo1993

Not so much unusual but more tragic, a bit before my time but in the days before mobile phones, social media and news being accessible at your finger tips - My dad was setting off to go to Watford on the opening day of the season and the game was called off as one of their players was killed in a car crash

This one randomly came into my head on my way down to the game the other week. Some things you just weirdly remember.

Hertsccfc

This is a job for Jim Brown!!!
I'd also like him to look into when before the recent USA Jamaica match we have had three players in an international match. I think there was a Wales Scotland match in the 70s involving Jim Blyth, Ian Wallace and Terry Yorath but not sure about this or if there has been one since.

Gynnsthetonic

Arsenal v Liverpool in 1972 the linesman got injured during the game. They put an announcement over the tannoy looking for a replacement otherwise they'd of called the game off, TV pundit at the time Jimmy Hill heard it and was lino for the rest of the match

JimmyHillsbeard

I was going to games by then, first game was Oct 72, but don't remember that.

Of course one of the most well known "weird games" was the Anglo Cup Winners match in 87 when we played St Mirren. Went to the home tie, which we won, but the away fixture was never played.

It was a 1-1 draw. Still all to play for in the second leg

ProfessorbyGrace

We played Feyenoord in a friendly and they brought a firm with them , although a very small one. Pretty sure we signed Boateng on the back of that. 250,000 bargain
Yes, I attended that too. Ended 1-1, I do believe.

Hobo

Villa palace and Liverpool arsenal. Both at high field road

I went to the Villa v Palace game, it was a good game. I supported Palace, but Andy Gray scored a screamer.

Covkid1968#

Some team that was !!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65

Users who are viewing this thread