Match Thread vs Cardiff (A) 19/09/23 (1 Viewer)

skyblu3sk

We won't be near the relegation zone, something would have to have gone completely to shit for that to happen.

long way home

That is the worst i have seen us in a while, no pace, no movement. All static, didn't move the ball well enough or quick enough from 1st minute. More than a few individual performances were way off, we need everyone to start playing at a higher standard. Too many laspes and everytime we switch off we get punished.

We just don't look solid at the minute, can see mass changes coming, Thomas, Ayari, Saka, Allen, Kicthing and Simms all starting.

Need 3 points quick or pressure will really start to build.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

I know we should give him time but how long exactly. His last two matches have been shocking and the odd flash of pace isn't enough.
I honestly don't know the answer! His technique to shoot is not a striker's based on that either.

I mean, sit back and ball over the top? Would explain how he could get goals in a poor team. But then how does he fit into a system that tries to control play?!?

skyblu3sk

One minor defence of Wright is he looks like the type of striker you want to hit earlier down the channels…unfortunately we spent most of the match strolling round the pitch passing it sideways and backwards at a friendly pace

Let’s hope Robins has words, makes some changes and sorts them out for next week as that was poor. I accept its a period of transition and always going to be a bit disjointed but at the very least we should get some intensity, energy and movement
I think we tried that tonight and he was rolled off the ball a lot apart from that one decent turn. He does remind me of early Gyok though so I have hope.

PVA

That is the worst i have seen us in a while, no pace, no movement. All static, didn't move the ball well enough or quick enough from 1st minute. More than a few individual performances were way off and need everyone back firing.

We just don't look solid at the minute, can see mass changes, Thomas, Ayari, Saka, Allen, Kicthing and Simms all starting.

I don't think Allen will be ready to start yet but I agree on your other changes, though it would be harsh on Binks to drop him.

Brighton Sky Blue

Sheaf would have the same frustrations. I remember him showing it in one match with Simms. My point is that the problem is the forward positions not the midfield.
The problems were all over the place. 3 terribly soft goals conceded, midfield giving possession away for fun and the forwards may as well not have been there.

You cannot concede that freely and expect to get anything from the game. Maybe it'll persuade Robins that bringing everyone back for the corner is a waste of time.

Hertsccfc

That is the worst i have seen us in a while, no pace, no movement. All static, didn't move the ball well enough or quick enough from 1st minute. More than a few individual performances were way off and need everyone back firing.

We just don't look solid at the minute, can see mass changes, Thomas, Ayari, Saka, Allen, Kicthing and Simms all starting.

Don't know what you have seen in Thomas or Kitching to put them ahead of Latibeaudiere or Binks.

SBT

Someone else said it earlier but it’s an intriguing thought.
Doug King is new to football.
At what point does he lose his patience and seek to stamp his authority on the club.
The only millionaires I know are extremely mean with their cash. I guess that’s why they are millionaires
I said after we signed Wright that he’s on the hot seat like never before. The expectations from King are clear.

Personally I think the sale of Hamer without any proper replacement gives him some cover, but if the two new strikers in particular don’t perform then he might well be gone before season’s end.

NorthernWisdom

The problems were all over the place. 3 terribly soft goals conceded, midfield giving possession away for fun and the forwards may as well not have been there.

You cannot concede that freely and expect to get anything from the game. Maybe it'll persuade Robins that bringing everyone back for the corner is a waste of time.
Leaving Wright up when we had a corner might see him having a use in the side I suppose

DrPoolittle

I honestly don't know the answer! His technique to shoot is not a striker's based on that either.

I mean, sit back and ball over the top? Would explain how he could get goals in a poor team. But then how does he fit into a system that tries to control play?!?

Wright can’t control the ball. He can’t hold the ball up. He can’t win the ball in the air. He likes the ball to his feet with plenty of space and time. And without some centre half battering into him.
Sadly, his style works in Turkey but has less chance in the Championship

JulianDarbyFTW

Not read the thread, but this is the game that's convinced me the midfield is going to cost us the season. Somehow we're scoring (well MG is) but we're creating the square root of fuck all. I still think I can see potential in the new signings, but if half of them aren't given the ball in good positions then it's all for nothing. MR is usually ruthless when we underperform, but he has absolutely zero options to change it in the middle. Frustrating, given the pre-season optimism.

shmmeee

Last year's team was assembled on peanuts and started the season with fixture postponements. This year's team has been very expensively assembled and yet that gaping hole in central midfield hasn't been filled.

Cant make a transfer appear that doesn’t exist. Looks like we got absolutely bum raped on Kitching so fuck knows what we’d have paid for what if we’d tried to get anyone in above all else. Hopefully we have something liked up for Jan.

skyblu3sk

Last year's team was assembled on peanuts and started the season with fixture postponements. This year's team has been very expensively assembled and yet that gaping hole in central midfield hasn't been filled.
I don't give a fuck how much has been spent and what has happened. The points on the board will be all that matters at the end of the season.

SBT

View attachment 31896

As long as Godden gets plenty of support (which I think he would) I wouldn't mind seeing this next game
Two lightweight AMs (neither of whom naturally play in that position) plus Godden alone up front doesn’t fill me with confidence.

It’s a bizarrely makeshift side for a team that’s spent ~£20 million in transfer fees this summer.

AiS86

Wright seems to a player that needs through balls to run on to. Palmer has the vision for the passes, just don't see it enough. When O'Hare's back, driving at pace and slipping him in, I reckon that's when he comes good. If he had Hamer supplying him....

Brighton Sky Blue

Cant make a transfer appear that doesn’t exist. Looks like we got absolutely bum raped on Kitching so fuck knows what we’d have paid for what if we’d tried to get anyone in above all else. Hopefully we have something liked up for Jan.
You can't, which is where the adulation for Hamer in screwing us over in the timing seems misplaced.

Users who are viewing this thread