Match Thread vs Cardiff (A) 19/09/23 (3 Viewers)

shmmeee

Hopefully we have a decent sell on for Hamer when he is inevitably sold next summer and Gyo hits his targets too. Might give us a few million to work with while retaining the core

Hopefully we don’t and we’re forced to use the £12m we’ve got wisely instead of spunking another £20m up the wall.

shmmeee

We were very very good for large parts v hull and Swansea and got a solid draw against a good sunderland team

Define good. I don’t think we’ve look particularly effective all season, since Gus left we’ve lost all speed of attack, the strikers look worse and worse and we’ve been surviving on tap in falling to Godden and set pieces mostly. Defensively we’ve looked as bad as ai can remember since promotion.

SeaSeeEffCee

I think it’s extremely worrying that Robins said in his post-match that we aren’t supposed to be playing as slow as we are, which was then contradicted by what Godden said in his interview. If Robins isn’t instructing us to play like that then why the hell are we and why aren’t the players listening to the manager’s instructions?

shmmeee

I think it’s extremely worrying that Robins said in his post-match that we aren’t supposed to be playing as slow as we are, which was then contradicted by what Godden said in his interview. If Robins isn’t instructing us to play like that then why the hell are we and why aren’t the players listening to the manager’s instructions?

Even worse when half the point of Godden is supposed to be Robins conduit on the pitch.

Evo1883

Define good. I don’t think we’ve look particularly effective all season, since Gus left we’ve lost all speed of attack, the strikers look worse and worse and we’ve been surviving on tap in falling to Godden and set pieces mostly. Defensively we’ve looked as bad as ai can remember since promotion.
Good = looked like we would get the win , never truly looked troubled and controlled the game , missed a sitter to go 2-0 and the game only really changed in the last 20 minutes

Last 20 they probably had 10 shots 😂

Before last night we'd conceded 7 in 6 , hardly worthy of a massive overhaul

Brighton Sky Blue

Good = looked like we would get the win , never truly looked troubled and controlled the game , missed a sitter to go 2-0 and the game only really changed in the last 20 minutes

Last 20 they probably had 10 shots 😂

Before last night we'd conceded 7 in 6 , hardly worthy of a massive overhaul
Conceded 7 in the first 3 last season

sylus

Normally i like Palmer, not his biggest fan but liked him. thought he was alright, until last night, had a nightmare of a game, but i wouldn't say he was our worst player, he did at least force a save out of there keeper which is more than i can say for that £7M lump we had up front.

StrettoBoy

Few of us can be happy with our start to the season but MR hasn't suddenly become a bad manager overnight and this team does need time to gel.

I wouldn't even dream of sacking MR until the end of the season, unless we really are in a relegation scrap and feel we need a "new manager bounce" to stay up.

I think we will end up in a comfortable mid-table position. This will disappoint many after last season but I think - and thought before we had even kicked a ball - that with such a big turnover in players this was all we could reasonably expect.

We could do a bit better that I expect because, if last season is anything to go by, there won't be a big points gap between the lower play-off places and just above mid-table. Of course, we could do worse than anticipated but I don't expect us to be serious contenders for relegation.

StrettoBoy

Will probably get a lot of hate for even mentioning Wright in this team (and wright-ly so tbh) but I think we need some pace and height in the midfield and can’t rely on Allen to play 90 mins just yet, but basically this is (roughly) what I think we should be playing against Huddersfield on Monday.

View attachment 31907

My thinking is similar. Sakamoto and Wright are both capable of running through the channels and - IF they can slide some good balls through - could create chances. I would start with Godden, given his current goal-scoring form, but (depending upon the match situation) would be happy to give Simms half an hour from the bench.

Sky Blue Harry H

If you are going to play Sakamoto and he's going to put in crosses, then for me it has to be Simms and Godden, as they are the most likely beneficiaries in open play. Ayari needs to play as he looks as though he can pick a pass. In assessing our options it makes me realise how little we have seen of some of the players to make an accurate judgment on their strengths/weaknesses. I suspect some 'favourites' will become 'villains' and vice versa in 12 games time or so. Hurry back Sheaf and C O'H.

robbiethemole

We kept our forward thinking players on the bench until after half time and it showed. Ayari was far more effective the Palmer, who seems to stroll about not arsed, and I would have moved Eccles to rwb and let Saka have a free roam of the pitch. At least those two were linking up with the front two for the short time they were on.
We looked slow and lethargic with no intention of playing forwards before they came on, MR has a lot of work to do to get this lot firing.

Boicey

We kept our forward thinking players on the bench until after half time and it showed. Ayari was far more effective the Palmer, who seems to stroll about not arsed, and I would have moved Eccles to rwb and let Saka have a free roam of the pitch. At least those two were linking up with the front two for the short time they were on.
We looked slow and lethargic with no intention of playing forwards before they came on, MR has a lot of work to do to get this lot firing.
He chose the crap starting line up.
It's hard for new players to gel when Robins drops or hardly plays them and reverts to favourites.

Grendel

Agreed - although hopefully by the season's end, assuming we're in the same division, he'll know where we need to improve things. Probably Kelly's last season, along with Fadz, we'll know where we stand with Callum O'Hare. Re-invest the £30m from PSG for Haji Wright on a new forward and it's operation PL for the following season.

If we do end up in the lower reaches and the money spent hasn’t worked I think king will be concerned about releasing more money for this recruitment team to waste

TomRad85

If we do end up in the lower reaches and the money spent hasn’t worked I think king will be concerned about releasing more money for this recruitment team to waste
Maybe they've done him a favour by failing to secure and thus spend on a midfielder. He'll be watching this group closely I'm sure.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

clint van damme

To be fair , the ground is dull as dishwater , everytime I've been there the atmosphere has been below what we usually get

I thought we were really good there last season.
Last night was like one of the old reserve games at Highfield Rd.

Brighton Sky Blue

Maybe there was a bit of a long-term succession planning thing with Kitching and Fadz in the twilight of his career. That signing makes sense.
It does, but they were taking the piss with the fee and we could have gone back in for him in January with a loan to tide us over there. The LCB is a nice to have, the Hamer replacement was essential.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Careful what you wish for eh ESB?

“I want a new recruitment team”

Wish Monkey Paw GIF by Leroy Patterson

Hahahahah this did crack me up!!!

CCFCSteve

That’s why it shocked me that we came out second half playing the same way. I’d have expected a bollocking and a reaction from players. Didn’t come which should’ve led to subs after 50/55 mins to give us more urgency and impetus

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Then he needs to drop Palmer which he seems averse to doing. Sakamoto is being sold down the river at RWB and Robins essentially admits it in the post match

And when is Mark Robins going to take some responsibility, he signed the players and he pick's the team.

Skyblueweeman

It does, but they were taking the piss with the fee and we could have gone back in for him in January with a loan to tide us over there. The LCB is a nice to have, the Hamer replacement was essential.
Yeah but they're separate points. You mentioned the defender from Barnsley.

I totally agree that a Gus replace was essential - like I've said, I'm angry he decided to leave the day before the window was closed. I'm angry that we didn't get a replacement.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah but they're separate points. You mentioned the defender from Barnsley.

I totally agree that a Gus replace was essential - like I've said, I'm angry he decided to leave the day before the window was closed. I'm angry that we didn't get a replacement.
They aren't separate as spending millions on one precluded similar amounts on the other.

Skyblueweeman

They aren't separate as spending millions on one precluded similar amounts on the other.
Well not really - rough maths suggests we've 'potentially' got more to spend.

Signing Kitching didn't necessarily stop us from signing a Gus replacement. If you think MR/AV etc would've thought that they had to choose between signing Kitching or a Gus replacement, you're a bit of a loon! They'll have known what a gap was going to be left by Gus going - he was a generational player for us. It wouldn't have been lost on them how much a like for like replacement would've been/is needed.

Brighton Sky Blue

Well not really - rough maths suggests we've 'potentially' got more to spend.

Signing Kitching didn't necessarily stop us from signing a Gus replacement. If you think MR/AV etc would've thought that they had to choose between signing Kitching or a Gus replacement, you're a bit of a loon! They'll have known what a gap was going to be left by Gus going - he was a generational player for us. It wouldn't have been lost on them how much a like for like replacement would've been/is needed.
Well no I'm referring to the O'Brien loan

BlueSkiesForever

My thinking is similar. Sakamoto and Wright are both capable of running through the channels and - IF they can slide some good balls through - could create chances. I would start with Godden, given his current goal-scoring form, but (depending upon the match situation) would be happy to give Simms half an hour from the bench.
Yeah exactly, I think we have to get out of our heads the idea that because we bought Wright as a striker or Sakamoto as a RWB then they HAVE to play in those positions. They are simply players, they are suitable to any role you put them in provided they have the skills necessary for that role.

So far it looks like Wright just isn’t a good striker, however he may be a good winger, it may be that he needs more time on the ball to think about what he’s doing compared to the time that other players require. Time which you don’t get when you’re a striker but you probably do get when you’re a winger.

It’s all hypothetical but the point is the system isn’t working atm and unless we experiment a bit then it’s not going to work. I think the whole point of “gelling” is to find out what everyone’s best at, if we don’t try new ideas and instead keep swapping Simms for Wright and Wright for Simms every other week then we’re no further forward than where we started.

usskyblue

It was a poor performance from the entire team. The singling out of players for a slagging is a bit weird, especially given that we were poor in every single department.

We started too deep, invited pressure and couldn’t get hold of the ball. Then we made adjustments and pushed the CB’s and midfield higher up the pitch to get some possession, then proceeded to make poor choices and basic errors.

It’s clear that Robins still doesn’t know his best 11, primarily because the form of the players has been patchy but also because it appears he still can’t trust some of the new signings over the old guard.

It’s also early.. way too early to be shittingthebed

Users who are viewing this thread