W.Brom 7-1 CCFC, long way home - I remember it well (1 Viewer)

This is dedicated to WINGY who liked my previous escapades

Just thought I'd bring a bit of light relief to the forum but still recognising the unbelievable mess we are still in.

It was the 1978/1979 season 21st October away to West Brom with Gordon Milne as manager picking a team of:

Sealy

Coop
Holton
Gillespie
Mc Donald

Hutchison
Powell
Yorath
hunt

Ferguson
Wallace

My brother cried off this trip so I set off to the Baggies ground on my own heading for junction 8 of the M6 in a horrible, dark misty Saturday afternoon.

Despite the roadworks, cones, barriers and temporary traffic lights I made it to the ground on time no probs parked and was ready for the game.

45 minutes later we were 3-0 down and at the final whistle my beloved team were trashed 7-1 courtesy of a certain C Regis (2), Brown, Statham, Cantello and Cunningham (2) - Ferguson for our conciliation goal.

Thoroughly p....d off I headed back to the M6 heavy of heart and was soon amongst the roadworks again weaving my way through the obstacles and heading for home.

With the radio on giving out scores and analysis for what seemed a long time I looked at the clock and it was 5.45 and I was in unrecognisable territory and a few miles later a sign loomed out of the blackness which read "Preston 64 miles" - yes I'd f....d up and was going in exactly the opposite direction !!!

What a pillock I screamed to myself searching for the next exit arriving home "slightly" later than I expected.

Last edited:

Tank Top

John.
I could be wrong, but didn't Yorath play in that game, I was there too, That was some Baggies side though wasn't it ?

play_in_skyblue_stripes

I had to go to a Geography school trip in lake district. Half way up some mountain in some really cold conditions I heard that we were 3-0 nil down. It just got worse after that.

I went to a 4-1 league cup defeat and a 4-0 FA cup defeat the next year. Overall we got some hammerings by West Brom at that time.

What I also will NEVER forget was watching the 3-3 in 77-78 season away, We had a goal disallowed , I think by Tommy Hutch. if that had stood we would have qualified for UEFA at the end of the season.

We were having a tidy up yesterday. Showed my daughter my brown, white and skyblue scarf. I told her it was about 36 years old! Its first outing was a painful 4-0 defeat at Southampton.

Some occasional bad defeats I've quoted, but overall during that short 2 to 3 season spell 77/78 onwards Coventry City were really good side and terrific scoring potential.

Certainly a different era to now which is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE.

Last edited:

DazzleTommyDazzle

absolutely right TT - Green was sub Yorath played centre mid - apologies will edit thread

Yorath was due to play centre midfield, but if I remember correctly Jim Holton was injured in the warm up and so Terry played alongside a very young Gary Gillespie in central defence.

Samo

I was at this game, great day! :eek: A proper drubbing, bricked by the Albion fans, got on the wrong train and ended up in Walsall!

wingy

Cheer s JR ,these memories and Ironies are absolutely what we love about what the beautiful game brings us ,I loved that Era ,Milne was quality ,I'll never understand moving him upstairs after getting those kids to within a few minutes of a LC Final.
As you'll recall From that "Worst away Day " ,thread almost made an unscheduled trip to Preston myself ,although only setting off from Anfield,hows that Knee now by the way.

Edit ;- forgot to ask was that in the Zodiac.:facepalm::)

Last edited:

Leamington Pete

Did anyone who went to this game not have a disaster?! I was 15 and had saved my £1.70 a week paper round money to go to my first away game on my own. Got a train to New Street and several wrong buses to eventually get to the ground late and already 2 nil down. Same nightmare journey back to Brum, with my Cov scarf tucked inside my parker, crammed in a bus full of gloating Baggies. Finally got back to Leamington station to find someone had nicked my bike. Walked home in the rain and missed my tea.

Happy days.

wingy

Did anyone who went to this game not have a disaster?! I was 15 and had saved my £1.70 a week paper round money to go to my first away game on my own. Got a train to New Street and several wrong buses to eventually get to the ground late and already 2 nil down. Same nightmare journey back to Brum, with my Cov scarf tucked inside my parker, crammed in a bus full of gloating Baggies. Finally got back to Leamington station to find someone had nicked my bike. Walked home in the rain and missed my tea.

Happy days.

Great post Pete ,Oh the Heartache and shredded nerves ,don't know if you ever saw this thread but theres some great tales of woe in there .
http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/11464-What-was-you-re-worst-ever-awayday?highlight=worst+trip

deanocity3

Not sure if that was the match,but I remember parking my car in a very large car park directly behind their main stand,I'd park next to a gold coloured car.
After the match the traffic coming out was pretty bad,so I sat in the car and listen to sports report on radio 2 with prob Peter Jones.
I'd park on the end of a row,and the chap in the gold car turned up,It was Tony Gubba,in a coat with a sleep skin collar.
I went to the 7-1 match and to the FA Cup 6th round tie early 1980's so it was one of them.
Oh yes it was pissing it down too.

Cheer s JR ,these memories and Ironies are absolutely what we love about what the beatiful game brings us ,I loved that Era ,Milne was quality ,I'll never understand moving him upstairs after getting those kids to within a few minutes of a LC Final.
As you'll recall From that "Worst away Day " ,thread almost made an unscheduled trip to Preston myself ,although only setting off from Anfield,hows that Knee now by the way.

Edit ;- forgot to ask was that in the Zodiac.:facepalm::)

the knees still crap after 7 months

the Zodiac was long gone then - had a Superminx if I recall

SkyblueBazza

That 7-1 drubbing...thoroughly dejected - left the ground a little early...going down the steps to the exit - a cheer went up! Yes, missed the bloody goal!!! Went back to the car - or where we'd left the damn thing at least!!! Nearest copper said too busy with crowd control & sent me to the cop shop. That was about a mile & half away which I ran thinking it was only down the road. What's the registration? Like I should know - I'm 13, it ain't my car. Bastard sent me back - no offer of a lift to help or anything, just a cheery "Yes, a few get nicked from around there on match days".
It was one of the longest bitterest tasting days of my life - thanks for reminding me!

Tonylinc

My story of that game is similar Bazza. I went with my now wife. We too left early and missed our goal. We were so miserable till we remembered that the Bees were riding at Belle View and thought that going straight there after would cheer us up. They had Nigel Boocock at the time and could not possibly lose.........Wrong! ......

deanocity3

my story of that game is similar bazza. I went with my now wife. We too left early and missed our goal. We were so miserable till we remembered that the bees were riding at belle view and thought that going straight there after would cheer us up. They had nigel boocock at the time and could not possibly lose.........wrong! ......

speedway champions 1979.coventry bees Nigel Boocock.jpg 1979.jpg BOOCOCK.jpg

richtom

1st ever away was wba 3 3{was 8 years old} came out ground when we were losing 3-2 ,heard a goal and thought it was 4-2 - got in my dad lorry {long story}and had brmb on the radio and the sound goal der der der der{something like that } tony butler i think ?

coventry have scored 3-3 -john beck scored?

richtom

8 2- 1984 april .dived through a patio window that day and still got the scars{accident} lloyd mcrath debut ?

hutch1972

I had to go to a Geography school trip in lake district. Half way up some mountain in some really cold conditions I heard that we were 3-0 nil down. It just got worse after that.

I went to a 4-1 league cup defeat and a 4-0 FA cup defeat the next year. Overall we got some hammerings by West Brom at that time.

What I also will NEVER forget was watching the 3-3 in 77-78 season away, We had a goal disallowed , I think by Tommy Hutch. if that had stood we would have qualified for UEFA at the end of the season.

We were having a tidy up yesterday. Showed my daughter my brown, white and skyblue scarf. I told her it was about 36 years old! Its first outing was a painful 4-0 defeat at Southampton.

Some occasional bad defeats I've quoted, but overall during that short 2 to 3 season spell 77/78 onwards Coventry City were really good side and terrific scoring potential.

Certainly a different era to now which is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE.

There were so many fantastic games in them few years, ones that stick in my mind are the 4-3 win over man u , 4-2 v man c ,4-2 v leeds and as were on the subject the 2-2 v the baggies in the fa cup. When Green equalised i scaled the fence ,slipped and found myself dangling from the overhang before being helped down, those games you could have cut the atmosphere with a knife.

richtom

1st game was the 77/78 best ever season since i went but was very young - qpr 4-1 arsenal 1-2 norwich 5 -4 .chelsea 5-2 -lpool 1-0-jim blyth was brilliant-brum won 4-0 and forest o-o they won the league but shilton done a brilliant save from fergurson i think

hutch1972

P1010673.jpg P1010674.jpg
1st game was the 77/78 best ever season since i went but was very young - qpr 4-1 arsenal 1-2 norwich 5 -4 .chelsea 5-2 -lpool 1-0-jim blyth was brilliant-brum won 4-0 and forest o-o they won the league but shilton done a brilliant save from fergurson i think

torchomatic

I went to that, one of my first away games without my Dad - I went with my mate and his Dad. The score was rubbish but I was only 12 and still had a good time.

I remember the WBA fans singing something about the colour of our strip being the colour of a certain substance. Not chocolate!

torchomatic

Yes, was at that one too. Lloyd is my all-time favourite player and I remember his debut well. I also remember when Gary Bannister re-signed and made his second debut at the Dell. Rubbish ground.

8 2- 1984 april .dived through a patio window that day and still got the scars{accident} lloyd mcrath debut ?

Delboycov

I was too young to go to away games in those days so I had to make do with listening to Tony Butler on BRMB...it was pre Mercia/CWR....and he used to have an annoying horn sound whenever there was a goal at any of the local matches. Seemed like this bloody horn was going off every 2 minutes! It must have been a warm day as I remember one of the press reports the next day coming out with some lame pun about the chocolate covered Sky Blues melting away....

deanocity3

I was too young to go to away games in those days so I had to make do with listening to Tony Butler on BRMB...it was pre Mercia/CWR....and he used to have an annoying horn sound whenever there was a goal at any of the local matches. Seemed like this bloody horn was going off every 2 minutes! It must have been a warm day as I remember one of the press reports the next day coming out with some lame pun about the chocolate covered Sky Blues melting away....

listen to Tony and some old memories
http://radiotoday.co.uk/2012/08/butler-retires-from-west-midlands-radio/

Users who are viewing this thread