W.Brom 7-1 CCFC, long way home - I remember it well (1 Viewer)

DazzleTommyDazzle

I'm pretty certain it was BRMB with the horn in those days mate....I remember it like it was yesterday!

Maybe they both had one - but WM certainly did.

I remember the moment's tension when it sounded - is it a goal in our game?

Delboycov

Maybe they both had one - but WM certainly did.

I remember the moment's tension when it sounded - is it a goal in our game?

They definitely had one during that West Brom game! I used to love listening to BRMB for the games in those days as of course we didn't have the muliti-media, up to the minute commentaries and updates we do today. That was the only way of getting news for me .I used to get so disappointed when the horn used to go and I'd think "Come on City" and then Butler would say in his unforgettable brummie twang "There's a goal at Fellows Park!" I used to think who gives a crap about a tin pot team like that. How times change...A tin pot team who finished above us this season!

sky_blue_up_north

Remember going to another game there were we lost 6-0, and to make matters worst, Ronnie Rees scored a couple for them if I remember correctly...

richtom

can anyone remember the chap who used to report on city games on brmb ? tony forfuee ? something like that lol

hutch1972

I reckon that was one of my first ever away games. Went with me old man. I was only five but still I was hooked. I think I can still remember Ferguson's goal - did the keeper drop it and he slid the ball in from around the penalty spot when we were already 6 or 7 down?

I seen our goal a few years back on tv and behind the goal one city fan started celebrating like we had scored a last minute winner.

deanocity3

can anyone remember the chap who used to report on city games on brmb ? tony forfuee ? something like that lol

Tony Butler : A BRMB legend! - A broadcasting legend! Tony Butler was was born in Wolverhampton, England, and worked for regional newspapers befor joining BBC regional radio from 1963 until the start of local radio in the midlands when he joined BBC Radio Birmingham in November 1970. In 1974 he was tempted away from BBC local radio by the lure of the new commercial radio station, BRMB.

In 1974 Tony joined the new station as head of BRMB Sport.
Keith Hayes, of BRMB, took Tony and members of the news team to the USA and Canada to sample how commercial radio was produced in North America where radio was much brasher than had traditionally been the case un Britain. Tony adopted this brasher style for BRMB. Tony provided daily sports bulletins during BRMB programmes which he would end with the well known line: "Tony Butler... [pause] .............. BRMB... [pause] ............. Sport."

Perhaps more significantly, Tony presented the weekday evening sports phone-ins and the marathon Saturday afternoon sports programme which featured match reports from BRMB's correspondents reporting from all the local football teams matches around the country - possibly the most well known of which was BRMB's Company Secretary Tony Trethewy and later George Gavin
. "Goal At The Molineux!!!....Over to Tony Trethewy!!!!"

http://www.mds975.co.uk/Content/brmb05.html old BRMB memories

Delboycov

The horn was WM 100%

Da da da da, da da da da goooaaaaal!!!

Well Butler was at BRMB at the time of the West Brom game and he definitely had the horn...Oooer ;-) Quite a character was Butler...if I recall didn't he get the sack from BRMB for fighting with a colleague who was in a wheelchair?!

*Just checked and on leaving BRMB in 1984 he took the horn with him to WM*

Last edited:

Macca

Well Butler was at BRMB at the time of the West Brom game and he definitely had the horn...Oooer ;-) Quite a character was Butler...if I recall didn't he get the sack from BRMB for fighting with a colleague who was in a wheelchair?!

*Just checked and on leaving BRMB in 1984 he took the horn with him to WM*

That makes sense. Butler was a legend. Better than "loving every sky blue goal" cringe

Users who are viewing this thread