we could be on to somethign big if we ever sort this bloody mess out! (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25420261

interesting article, southampton also play same formation/style from academy upwards and have benefited from bringing through many youngsters.

they also have a forward thinking manager who likes to play a passing game and get praise from many oppositions fans and managers.

thats not a million miles away from what we are doing under pressley, we just need the stability and income streams to help support him.

keep the faith i guess....

Kingokings204

Like I've always believed it needs to be right off the pitch to be right on it. We are very lucky to have good players and a good manager else could be league 2.

magic82ball

I admire your fortitude but the bigger picture always seems to escape you covcity4life.

Pressley, just like Robbins before him will move on to bigger and brighter things in the not too distant future. There will be no top to bottom structure at the club like Southampton, the board simply dont have the knowledge or inclination to install it. This week it is Pressley, next week it could just as easily be a Boothroyd mk2. Only when the owners have genuine ambition and a desire to stay for the long haul (I dont mean long haul being as soon as we can find someone willing to pay what we want for the club) will the club be able to build for the future.

Unfortunately this club is on a life support machine and the condition is likely to deteriate before it gets better. But like I say, I admire your optimism.

covcity4life

I admire your fortitude but the bigger picture always seems to escape you covcity4life.

Pressley, just like Robbins before him will move on to bigger and brighter things in the not too distant future. There will be no top to bottom structure at the club like Southampton, the board simply dont have the knowledge or inclination to install it. This week it is Pressley, next week it could just as easily be a Boothroyd mk2. Only when the owners have genuine ambition and a desire to stay for the long haul (I dont mean long haul being as soon as we can find someone willing to pay what we want for the club) will the club be able to build for the future.

Unfortunately this club is on a life support machine and the condition is likely to deteriate before it gets better. But like I say, I admire your optimism.

nice patronising post.

i have said IF we get stuff sorted off the pitch it can work, not saying we will

magic82ball

nice patronising post.

i have said IF we get stuff sorted off the pitch it can work, not saying we will

Sorry, wasnt intended to be patronising.

Just an honest appraisel of how I view things will pan out, and things will never change until the owners are gone.

Gint11

Sorry, wasnt intended to be patronising.

Just an honest appraisel of how I view things will pan out, and things will never change until the owners are gone.

Although I generally agree with your comments, I do feel in general there are fans that take on board a 'doom and gloom' attitude now regardless of how things are/look. There is always hope and always a possibility of a turn in fortunes. If you always remain down in the dumps you will get nowhere.

magic82ball

Although I generally agree with your comments, I do feel in general there are fans that take on board a 'doom and gloom' attitude now regardless of how things are/look. There is always hope and always a possibility of a turn in fortunes. If you always remain down in the dumps you will get nowhere.

Trust me, I am very positive person. This isn't about being positive and things will turn out OK. We are powerless in this mess and remaining positive may keep a few warm at night, but it wont have make any difference to the final outcome, whatever that may be.

I would rather focus my energy and positivity on things that I am able to influence, at the moment this doesn't spread to anything connected with CCFC.

covcity4life

sisu have backed managers since relegation so there is hope they would want to run us properly once infrastructure is in place.

Bill Glazier

Let's see what happens in the transfer window. Christie leaving could be Pressley's excuse to get out. He's done well and raised his profile. Lots have taken notice and I wouldn't blame him if he left for a more sane club.

jesus-wept

sisu have backed managers since relegation so there is hope they would want to run us properly once infrastructure is in place.
Backed managers ? The lack of support at the right time resulted in relegation to divison 3, one slinging his hook and the latest unable to sign player because we are still in an embargo situation...again

GaryPendrysEyes

'...run us properly' 'infrastructure'!! Not sure what planet you are on, but under Sisu we have increased debt by another 10m, whilst selling off virtually all assets, and have halved revenue. The effective value of the club has more than halved and the fanbase has pretty much no confidence in them. It will take 5-10 years to even get us back to the position of their take over, never mind higher.

After witnessing their incompetence for 6 years we can safely say that 'Sisu' and 'run us properly' dont go in the same sentence!

magic82ball

Really, do you believe this or are you just looking for any scrap of comfort?

To be fair to SISU (although they brought it on themselves), they are likely to be hamstrung over the next few seasons due to FFP so if the off the field shambles continues which looks likely, then we would have to expect to be fighting relegation year on year.

What I meant, and what I assume you was offended by when I said the bigger picture always seems to escape you is it appears you want short term fixes, believing that should the Ricoh be acquired, should the fans turn up in droves to Sixfields (although I understand you have changed your stance on this now?) that this will be the answer to our problems, unable to see the issues are far more entrenched than just covering them up with a few plasters here and there. What about the lost generation of supporters? What about the disenfranchised fans?

I don’t mean to be insulting but realise I am when I say for you, ignorance is bliss. This mess is going to get so much worse and may never get better until we are liquidated or bought by some super rich fan that wants to plough a load of equity into the club. I see this going no other way.

magic82ball

even when the optimism is misplaced?

Spionkop

Magic82 is a realist. It's not looking good is it.
Was talking with a friend last night and weighing up the chances of a club like Watford offering him work.
It must be so depressing for him and his team to play in front of hundreds of people.
Just isn't sustainable.
If he could perform a miracle and get us promoted this season it might just force Sisu's hand. They couldn't possibly play Championship football at a less than 7,000 capacity ground. It would make the losses this season look like peanuts. Leeds coming to Sixfields, the massive lost revenue. Think about it.
As it is the noose around Pressley will just get tighter. There is no real infrastructure. Why do you think Gregor Rioch left?
While Magic82 is marginally more pessimistic than me, he's being pragmatic.
I fear and I hate to say it, that the only way out is a reclaimed CCFC. This from an avid fan since 1959. And I mean, avid.

CCFCChadders

Our owners have no interest In the game unlike Cortese, I don't know how they make their staff feel but if it's anything like the fans it would be irrelevant and lied to. They seem unorganised with a lack of long term plans (with evidence) and only interested in making a few quid at all cost. I agree there could be a future for the club but not with SISU in charge and not with the proposed 12k capacity stadium we have all seen the plans for *cough*...

covcity4life

sisu haters have once again missed point of thread.

i was just showing how many good things we are doing on the pitch and how it could lead to big things if we ever sort our off field problems out, be it with sisu or new owners,whatever

this thread does not need to focus on sisu being able to do it ffs. there are 1 million identical threads for you to talk shit about that.

CCFCChadders

i was just showing how many good things we are doing on the pitch and how it could lead to big things if we ever sort our off field problems out, be it with sisu or new owners,whatever

this thread does not need to focus on sisu being able to do it ffs. there are 1 million identical threads for you to talk shit about that.

Surely if we're comparing our off the pitch situation it to some extend involves SISU?

RoboCCFC90

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25420261

interesting article, southampton also play same formation/style from academy upwards and have benefited from bringing through many youngsters.

they also have a forward thinking manager who likes to play a passing game and get praise from many oppositions fans and managers.

thats not a million miles away from what we are doing under pressley, we just need the stability and income streams to help support him.

keep the faith i guess....

I'd like to hope so covcity4life,

When Southampton got promoted they had spent a couple of million the season they did get promoted to the Championship and the season before when they missed out and promoted three noteable players through the youth (Lallana, Schneiderlin and Oxlaide-Chamberlain) in comparison to us we haven't spent nearly as much but the players we have brought in have been of decent quality (Murphy, Fleck, Leon Clarke, Moussa, Adams and the three loan players, Maguire, Seaborne, Dagnall) complement that with the youth players that have come through for us such as Cyrus, Callum, Conor, Jordan Clarke, there is no reason why our squad can't be competitive in this league.

The way we have wiped out the 10 point deficit to be close to the top six is brilliant, my only fear is if we lost the three loan players for instance in Seaborne, Dagnall and Maguire, we could really struggle to keep pace because injuries, suspensions and fatigue will set in. If we kept the three loanees for the rest of the season I see no reason why the top six isn't achievable with half of the fixtures yet to play.

CCFCChadders

the main focus of the thread is blatently on the good work we are doing footballing wise.

your not a real ccfc fan if you want to focus on hating sisu 247

Tbf I was making reference to the article you posted more than anything which is blatantly focused more on the off the pitch side of things, income and stability as you quoted will be achieved with good ownership, IMO not SISU all I was saying mate..

Cityfan1

The OP is not saying all is rosy in the garden, what I believe he is saying is that what SP is putting together on the field, with a very young squad of players plus the philosophy he is looking to create throughout the club should be looked at with a degree of optimism instead of the usual doom and gloom.
Of course the off field situation is not the best, and what happens can and will effect our chances of achieving what Southampton have achieved, but the progress that has been made under SP (despite Sisu) should be applauded and encouraged.
If all we ever do is bitch about Sisu and never look at the positives, What's the point?

The Gentleman

Sisu haters ??? You could have easily put Coventry City lovers, could you not ? The fact that people care so much is due to the love of our club and I would imagine people have brought Sisu/Otium's failings up is because you asked as part of your question about sorting the off field problems out, which is in fact largely (not all) down to them. We would all love it if we did a Southampton or a Norwich, and with a good manager in place and the nucleus of a good team that would be possible if we had decent owners who were passionate about our club and not money. Sadly, the fact is we haven't got decent owners.

covcity4life

The OP is not saying all is rosy in the garden, what I believe he is saying is that what SP is putting together on the field, with a very young squad of players plus the philosophy he is looking to create throughout the club should be looked at with a degree of optimism instead of the usual doom and gloom.
Of course the off field situation is not the best, and what happens can and will effect our chances of achieving what Southampton have achieved, but the progress that has been made under SP (despite Sisu) should be applauded and encouraged.
If all we ever do is bitch about Sisu and never look at the positives, What's the point?

exactly!

i am not saying we will do a southampton, but i am saying it is nice to know we are on to a possible winner in some aspects of the club.

and IF we ever get our %^^% together in terms of ownership maybe we will get to see the model beat fruit.

CCFCChadders

I couldn't agree more, I am generally optimistic, the article seemed to be largely based on how well Southampton is run as whole from the ownership down, thats where I made the comparison. I do agree with the OP in the sense that with the way we are currently playing under SP and our youth development that if/when we sort this mess out we could come good..

Spionkop

Jesus wept, we don't even play in our own city and people are asking us to look at the positives. For crying out loud. What planet are you people on?

Danceswithhorses

I'd like to hope so covcity4life,

When Southampton got promoted they had spent a couple of million the season they did get promoted to the Championship and the season before when they missed out and promoted three noteable players through the youth (Lallana, Schneiderlin and Oxlaide-Chamberlain)
Schneiderlin was signed from Strasbourg for £1m ish when he was 19, IIRC

RoboCCFC90

Did it really? Calling someone a dumb prick because he fails to share the OP's misplaced optimism. Each to their own I suppose...

Maybe that was slightly harsh but it's not what I meant. I liked the post because in these times where we are playing at Sixfields and that our club is engulfed in negatives vibes and situations, to be able to talk positively about the players, the manager, how well we are playing, what we can aim for this season is something that should be enjoyed not ridiculed because of the negatives.

magic82ball

There are positives at the moment of course, the young players coming through, the ten point deficit being wiped out, good young manager with attractive style of play...

But whats the point of all of the above when things are so bad off the field. It wont last and is not sustainable. Pressley will go, players will be sold and if we miraculously did get promoted, we would more than likely come straight back down when the FFP comes in next season. I dont want to say all of that but can it be argued otherwise.

I take your point that no one wants another anti-sisu thread and that is not my intention. I am trying to respond honestly to the OP who is saying "be positive, this is what could happen to us" well quite frankly, until we have a board with any shred of ambition this is not going to happen to us. Can people not see this?

Users who are viewing this thread