We're walking this league: shots stats prove it (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

I've included two more teams in this updated table since they are now in the play-off positions. Like us, Wycombe have been a bit unlucky not to win more of their games, but their defence has conceded many more goals than us. Statistically, though, they could well end up in one of the top places.

TOP OF THE LEAGUE TWO SHOTS TABLE after first 11 games

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _W_ _D_ _ L_ _ _ _ _Shots diff._ _ _ _ ‘Shots Points’ (out of 30)

1. Coventry _ _ 11_ _ 0_ _ 0_ _ +78 (+30)_ _ _ _ _ _ 33

2. Wycombe _ _ 8_ _ 2 _ _ 1_ _ +55 (+12)_ _ _ _ _ _28

3. Luton_ _ _ _ _7 _ _1 _ _3 _ _ +47 (+14) _ _ _ _ _ _23

4. Exeter_ _ _ _ 7_ _ 1_ _ 3 _ _ _ +1 (+15)_ _ _ _ _ _ 23

5. Accrington_ _ 6_ _ 2_ _ 3 _ _ +35 (+21)_ _ _ _ _ _ 22

6. Mansfield _ _ 5_ _ 3_ _ 3 _ _ +14 (-4)_ _ _ _ _ _ _ 21

7. Notts County_5_ _ 2_ _ 4 _ _ +22 (+8)_ _ _ _ _ _ _ 19

8. Stevenage_ _ _5 _ _2_ _ 4_ _ -12 (+10) _ _ _ _ _ _ 19

I like your stats. Keep posting!

PVA

How about someone putting up the stats for how wasteful we have been in front of goal? We must have the lowest amount of goals per shot and most probably most goals against per shots on target..

2017-09-27-l2-att.png

2017-09-27-l2-def.png

Warwickhunt

Crewe game acording to bbc sports Cov 20 shots 7 on target Crewe 7 shots 0 on target

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

But McDonald has been the surprise for me. What a defender. Reads the game so well and he can also play. A definite to keep for next season after getting promotion.
It seems some on SBT don't rate McDonald , ( gets into dodgy positions ) but I agree with you Astute .
I think he can only get better !!!

Grendel

Just shows how badly we need a goalscorer
We should be top with those stats

Nazon has the best goals per game time in the league doesn't he? So who'd be better?

Greggs

How about looking Accringtons last few opponents, compared to ours?

Mucca Mad Boys

Good early signs, but they exactly that. The defensive side of our game is second to none, conceding low amounts of shots, goals and keeping an impressive 7 clean sheets in 11. You couldn't ask for more. Attacking wise, we haven't been as good, but we've still done well minus a 3 game skid. I don't think we've hit 5th gear yet, we've probably only just got into 4th, so to speak.

The argument we 'need' a goalscorer is such a lazy one, even based on statistics. Duckens has just gone and got 5 goals in 6, identical to James Collins' ratio at the minute - the messiah that never was. Clearly we've got people who can score and create goals and I think McNulty and Jones will end up with 10-15 goals each. The only things to worry about is our away form and when we concede first, though Swindon did buck that trend. At home, we've conceded one goal, a sloppy GK mistake, that's it. With the defence performing as well as it is, the worry of a lack of goals is a bit silly.

Also, have we even settled on our first choice strike force yet? We started with Beavon and McNulty, because we started well and Biamou and Nazon weren't fit enough to start. Andreu came in and got injured, which is a shame because I believe he and McNulty would be first choice (it's clear Robins' really rates him). Now, I think Nazon will start behind McNulty when everyone is available. So, to wrap this up, minus that 3 game skid, our attack has performed well and that is without a settled strike force.

With a truly settled starting team, I think we can really take the performances up a notch and put ourselves in a good position come Christmas.

capel & collindridge

How about looking Accringtons last few opponents, compared to ours?
Of the top 8 teams, Accrington have had by far the easiest fixtures. Only 2 opponents have been in the top half of the table with 9 opponents in the bottom half. Notts County have had the toughest: 7 in the top half, 4 in the bottom. We are about average with 5 against teams in the top half and 6 against those in the bottom half.

capel & collindridge

How about someone putting up the stats for how wasteful we have been in front of goal? We must have the lowest amount of goals per shot and most probably most goals against per shots on target.

TOP OF THE LEAGUE TWO SHOTS TABLE after first 11 games BUT BOTTOM of the goal conversion table for all shots (and conversion of shots on target in brackets)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _W_ _D_ _ L_ _ _ _ _Shots diff._ _ _ _ ‘Shots Points’ (out of 33)

1. Coventry _ _ 11_ _ 0_ _ 0_ _ +78 (+30)_ _ _ _ _ _ 33 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 9.5% (20.3%)

2. Wycombe _ _ 8_ _ 2 _ _ 1_ _ +55 (+12)_ _ _ _ _ _28_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _14.6% (36.7%)

3. Luton_ _ _ _ _7 _ _1 _ _3 _ _ +47 (+14) _ _ _ _ _ _23_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 14.4% (42.0%)

4. Exeter_ _ _ _ 7_ _ 1_ _ 3 _ _ _ +1 (+15)_ _ _ _ _ _ 23 _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _14.4% (33.9%)

5. Accrington_ _ 6_ _ 2_ _ 3 _ _ +35 (+21)_ _ _ _ _ _ 22 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _15.4% (36.8%)

6. Mansfield _ _ 5_ _ 3_ _ 3 _ _ +14 (-4)_ _ _ _ _ _ _ 21_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _13.8% (38.3%)

7. Notts County_5_ _ 2_ _ 4 _ _ +22 (+8)_ _ _ _ _ _ _ 19_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _17.1% (47.7%)

8. Stevenage_ _ _5 _ _2_ _ 4_ _ -12 (+10) _ _ _ _ _ _ 19_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 13.8% (38.8%)

Gazolba

Always good to remember this maxim from the financial world: Past performance is no guarantee of future performance.
These statistics only tell you what happened in the past, they cannot predict what will happen in the future.
We could easily go on a losing streak and drop down the table.
There could be injuries (we already have one), suspensions, or players sold in January, so I will take it one game at a time.
It's looking pretty good now, but that may not continue.

dongonzalos

Nazon has the best goals per game time in the league doesn't he? So who'd be better?

Quite a few to be fair as There 8 others who have a better goals per minutes on the pitch ratio than him.
However I don't have an issue with the Duck other than he might be gone in January.
Its McNulty that causes me more concern.
It's also the sheer volumes of shots we have in comparison to goals.
Quite often in both the shots in target stats, possession and defensively we out do the opposition.
Yet we are not smashing in the goals.
I genuinely believe with a quality striker upfront we would be top with the way Robins has things set up.

Grendel

Quite a few to be fair as There 8 others who have a better goals per minutes on the pitch ratio than him.
However I don't have an issue with the Duck other than he might be gone in January.
Quite often in both the shots in target stats, possession and defensively we out do the opposition.
I genuinely believe with a quality striker upfront we would be top with the way Robins has things set up.

Clueless.

Grendel

It's hard to win a debate with an intelligent person, but it’s damn near impossible to win a debate with a stupid person.

That's true and you are as stupid and clueless as they come.

As I say a trust a manager whose seen every player week in and week about above a poster who derided said manager as "bang average" and believed Andy Thorn was the next Alex Ferguson.

Mucca Mad Boys

Why is anyone ‘concerned’ about anything? We’re 11 games in, we’re in some good form and there’s more good signs than bad ones.

Take the season as it comes.

Gint11

Solid defence
Take your chances
Consistency

The above is what wins you the league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capel & collindridge

Yes, I know....

But, after 12 games, we're still walking the league in more Shots and more Shots on target than our opponents in every single game:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _W_ _D_ _ L_ _ Shots diff._ _ _ _ ‘Shots Points’ (out of 36)

1. Coventry _ _ 12_ _ 0_ _ 0_ _ +91 (+35)_ _ _ _ _ _ 36 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

2. Wycombe _ _ 9_ _ 2 _ _ 1_ _ +60 (+17)_ _ _ _ _ _31_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

3. Luton_ _ _ _ _8 _ _1 _ _3 _ _ +50 (+16) _ _ _ _ _ _26_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

4. Exeter_ _ _ _ 7_ _ 2_ _ 3 _ _ _ -3 (+19)_ _ _ _ _ _ 25 _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _

5. Mansfield _ _ 6_ _ 3_ _ 3 _ _ +24 (0)_ _ _ _ _ _ _ 24_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

6. Accrington_ _ 6_ _ 2_ _ 4 _ _ +32 (+19)_ _ _ _ _ _ 22 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

7. Stevenage_ _ _5 _ _2_ _ 5_ _ _ -20 (+8) _ _ _ _ _ __19_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

8. Notts County_5_ _ 2_ _ 5 _ _ +22 (+6)_ _ _ _ _ _ _19_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Exeter have had fewer shots than their opponents but are top of the real league table (points) because they have high percentage of their shots on target and they score with a high percentage of their shots on goal. Unlike us. ;-(

But for all our moaning, we have controlled most of ALL the games we have played - and that includes today's game against Barnet. In total, we have had 16 more shots on target than the next best teams (Exeter and Accrington) and we have let in just 6 goals. That's four fewer than the next best team (Luton with 10 goals).

And I wonder if MR is aware of these stats looking at where the teams scoring most goals and conceding least have ended up in League two:

In the last 10 years, the team conceding fewest goals came 1st on 5 occasions (2007-08, 2009-10, 2011-12, 2012-13 and 2016-17), 2nd on two occasions (2014-15, 2015-16). The team scoring the most came 1st on 3 occasions (2009-10, 2013-14 and 2014-15) and 2nd twice ( 2007-08 and 2015-16). The lowest position for a team conceding the least goals was 6th. Only twice did the lowest conceding team finish outside the top 3.

For the highest scoring teams, there were three lower finishing positions: 8th twice and 10th.

Last edited:

capel & collindridge

We still have 100% record. Two more shots than Accrington. According to the BBC both teams had 4 shots on target.

Shots Table after 13 Games

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _W_ _D_ _ L_ _ Shots diff._ _ _ _ ‘Shots Points’ (out of 39)

1. Coventry _ _ 13_ _ 0_ _ 0_ _ +93 (+35)_ _ _ _ _ _ 39 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

2. Wycombe _ 10_ _ 2 _ _ 1_ _ +67 (+18)_ _ _ _ _ _34_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

3. Luton_ _ _ _ _9 _ _1 _ _3 _ _ +54 (+25) _ _ _ _ _ _29_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

4. Mansfield _ _ 7_ _ 3_ _ 3 _ _ +28 (+2) _ _ _ _ _ _ 27_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

5. Exeter_ _ _ _ 7_ _ 2_ _ 4 _ _ -10 (+18)_ _ _ _ _ _ 25 _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _

6. Accrington_ _ 6_ _ 2_ _ 5 _ _ +30 (+19)_ _ _ _ _ _ 22 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

7. Notts County_6_ _ 2_ _ 5 _ _ +26 (+6)_ _ _ _ _ _ _22_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

8. Stevenage _ _ 5 _ _2_ _ 6_ _ -24 (-1) _ _ _ _ _ _ _19_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

dongonzalos

1. Dongonzalos......

Just shows how badly we need a goalscorer
    We should be top with those stats

Grendel.....

Oct 1, 2017Report
    LikeReply
Dongonzalos......

Clueless.

Yeah right

Cov kid 55

Not sure about these stats. We’ve played poorly a number of times this season, and aren’t scoring enough goals. I can see us losing 1-0 on a regular basis, against better sides. We were second best today.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Statistics have their uses, especially if correctly targeted. Statistics can be used to show any answer you like if you choose the question well enough. Some very interesting analysis above however.

The statistics that I would be interested in for the team are
Shot conversion rate
Goals conceded
Goals difference
Points gained

Leading to the one statistic that really counts league position.

The team needs to find ways to win even when not playing well. Whether that's 1 nil or 4 : 3 in the end doesn't matter. Accumulate more points than everyone else and we don't need to worry.

We could continue to have more shots than anyone else and not go up. The statistic takes no account of quality for example and given Ccfc are bottom of the EFL league for goals scored it points to the problem we all see - we fail to convert the chances/efforts we have in to goals.

It's other statistics that are more important than being top of the shots league imo. Interesting stats all the same.

To paraphrase "points bring prizes"........ unless we convert the shots in to goals then being top of the shot league is no laurel to rest on

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread