West Brom goal (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

Granted it’s hand hall but isn’t it lovely when pundits have no idea of the laws of the game

A defending player who leaves the field of play without the referee's permission will be considered to be on the goal line or touchline for the purposes of offside until the next stoppage in play or until the defending team has played the ball towards the halfway line and it is outside its penalty area.

David O'Day

Granted it’s hand hall but isn’t it lovely when pundits have no idea of the laws of the game

A defending player who leaves the field of play without the referee's permission will be considered to be on the goal line or touchline for the purposes of offside until the next stoppage in play or until the defending team has played the ball towards the halfway line and it is outside its penalty area.
Yeah, I said on the championship thread. You'd think they should have someone who is letting know the rules.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I can understand why that would be the case, but when you have attacking players standing offside but 'not interfering' then it makes it a bit of a farce doesn't it.

If attackers can get around not being offside by just not getting involved, defenders should be allowed to do exactly the same.

David O'Day

I can understand why that would be the case, but when you have attacking players standing offside but 'not interfering' then it makes it a bit of a farce doesn't it.

If attackers can get around not being offside by just not getting involved, defenders should be allowed to do exactly the same.
not really, it's never mattered what a defender is doing just where he is

it also stops defenders trying to play a man off by stepping off the pitch

Sky Blue Pete

Law 11 have a look

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

not really, it's never mattered what a defender is doing just where he is

it also stops defenders trying to play a man off by stepping off the pitch
I know it never mattered what a defender is doing in the laws, just where he is, but the point is is that right? An attacker can deliberately stand where the fuck they like to deliberately try and gain an advantage for a teammate and not be given offside yet a defender lying incapacitated on the ground can play someone on. Is that fair? Or is the law an ass? Offside never used to be a thing at all. Attackers could pretty much throw keepers in the net. Neither of those things can be done now. Laws can be changed and the one that lets attackers stand offside but not be given is one that needs changing.

Sky Blue Pete

I know it never mattered what a defender is doing in the laws, just where he is, but the point is is that right? An attacker can deliberately stand where the fuck they like to deliberately try and gain an advantage for a teammate and not be given offside yet a defender lying incapacitated on the ground can play someone on. Is that fair? Or is the law an ass? Offside never used to be a thing at all. Attackers could pretty much throw keepers in the net. Neither of those things can be done now. Laws can be changed and the one that lets attackers stand offside but not be given is one that needs changing.
The offside law has always been an ass
I’ve often wondered if we shouldn’t just scrap it and start again

Sky Blue Pete

It was designed to stop goal hanging, the current obsession with getting rulers out to measure half a centimetre's offside is where it's gone wrong.
It’s the tiny incremental changes that have caused it to be an ass
As a stop gap why not just only have offsides in the penalty area?
Need to stop tinkering

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

To be honest hockey is played with no offside at all and works fine. Might be a much simpler solution in the long term.

Heading Back And Forth GIF by US National Archives

Users who are viewing this thread