West Ham in the league cup? (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

Today at work we were talking about the best atmosphere at the Ricoh. One guy mentioned that in his opinion it was the league cup match against West Ham in 2008 in a game we lost 2-1. However, for the life of me I can't remember this game happening and can't find much on the internet. Can anyone confirm this game happened and what the score was?

ccfc92

I hope we get them away in the cup this year. Never been to Upton park and want to before they move.

Samo

I hope we get them away in the cup this year. Never been to Upton park and want to before they move.

Once was enough for me!

Jackoskyblue

Didn't they handball in it in the build up to their late winner ? Was a good atmosphere that night, remember Blackburn in the cup might have been same season the round before, everyone stood up on the 87 min or so and gave the players a standing ovation to the end that's one of my favourite memories from the Ricoh

kg82

Didn't they handball in it in the build up to their late winner ? Was a good atmosphere that night, remember Blackburn in the cup might have been same season the round before, everyone stood up on the 87 min or so and gave the players a standing ovation to the end that's one of my favourite memories from the Ricoh

That when Best scored the winner? That was a good atmosphere. Same for the original game up at their place (in the away end, anyway)

The Lurker

Today at work we were talking about the best atmosphere at the Ricoh. One guy mentioned that in his opinion it was the league cup match against West Ham in 2008 in a game we lost 2-1. However, for the life of me I can't remember this game happening and can't find much on the internet. Can anyone confirm this game happened and what the score was?

Yes 2008 it was, on sky if I remember rightly too? Great atmosphere. West ham had a mob revenge attack for what happened st George's day in 2007 at the coach and horses. Kicked off afterwards. It's How the Ricoh should have been on a weekly basis

oldfiver

I went to both legs of this one: http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/sky-blues-day-coventry-city-8527544

oldfiver

CCFC88

I was at the game but its not one that sticks in the memory to be honest, the only reason I remember it was because I had a West Ham freind come up for the match and he sat with us in the city end, 4 of us had child tickets at a fiver (not proud of this) even though we were 22-23, and we got free entry into jumping jacks (not proud of this either) with our under 18s match ticket.

He was astounded that for what he pays for 4 beers in London got us into the match and "nightclub".

kg82

Do you know what, I think I went to this game. But for the life of me I do not remember it at all?! I only think I went because I remember going to next round after the Utd game.

SlowerThanPlatt

Yes 2008 it was, on sky if I remember rightly too? Great atmosphere. West ham had a mob revenge attack for what happened st George's day in 2007 at the coach and horses. Kicked off afterwards. It's How the Ricoh should have been on a weekly basis

What happened in 2007?

dadgad

Jay Tabb scored a great diving header. It looked like we'd win but unbelievably lost it in last three minutes.
'Twas a great atmosphere, fairly big crowd around 27k

Covstu

It was a decent game but not one that had an electric atmosphere. We were robbed to be fair even their fans were saying it

Match went off without incident (1-1 I think), got back to the coach after and we'd only travelled about a mile when there was loud banging on the side of the coach. The driver got out to investigate and promptly came running back on the coach looking terrified followed by a mob of west ham fans with baseball bats who then set about smashing up the coach and putting all the windows through and offering to take us all on. Scary shit at the time but I was only 16. We had the windows smashed on the coach at QPR as well (87-88 I think Won 2-1 Houchen & Regis).

ccfc92

Match went off without incident (1-1 I think), got back to the coach after and we'd only travelled about a mile when there was loud banging on the side of the coach. The driver got out to investigate and promptly came running back on the coach looking terrified followed by a mob of west ham fans with baseball bats who then set about smashing up the coach and putting all the windows through and offering to take us all on. Scary shit at the time but I was only 16. We had the windows smashed on the coach at QPR as well (87-88 I think Won 2-1 Houchen & Regis).

Ah right :( mindless.

mattylad

It all kicked off after the game and they were fighting in people's back gardens down hen lane

nicksig

I remember going to Upton Park in the 90s. I was in the away section right in front of home supporters on the right hand side as you looked at it. The whole game they were offering us out and giving it the throat slit signs etc. Getting out wasn't easy. Not my favourite place to go

The Gentleman

I've heard some great stories about our trip to West Ham in the early 80's in the cup when we swamped the place. West Ham was a place you had to have your wits about you but it was exciting more than scary really. They always travel well to, with good followings at Highfield a number of times. Always looked forward to their visits as they'd make it a good day.

Hobo

It was a good game with a good atmosphere, one which showed the Ricohs potential. We put up,a good fight and lost at the death, our legs were starting to go. We definitely deserved something out of this game.

West Ham fans flexed their muscles afterwards, they always do, they have always loved coming to Cov for a fight.

I have always liked West Ham as a club, but not their fans. West Ham and Millwall the two worst places to go.

The Lurker

What happened in 2007?

Sorry 2006

West ham played semi final at villa park. After the game they stopped off in Cov by the coach and horses (non match day) to get some beers from the shop, anyway the pub emptied on the coach of west ham and it all kicked off with a couple of west ham coming off badly. Then the cup game was there "revenge" attack. They had loads up for it.

The Lurker

I've heard some great stories about our trip to West Ham in the early 80's in the cup when we swamped the place. West Ham was a place you had to have your wits about you but it was exciting more than scary really. They always travel well to, with good followings at Highfield a number of times. Always looked forward to their visits as they'd make it a good day.

remember a bank holiday game when we were both in the premiership? They had massive numbers up and some lumps amongst them too

Users who are viewing this thread