What a day (1 Viewer)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
A team that played with passion but more than that knew they had a plan and how to see it through.

They walked on to the pitch saw the SBA and you could almost see them grow. They played like men like Ccfc battlers have done before them, throwing bodies on the line, using every ounce of energy they had and never gave up. Yes they had some luck but they earnt it.

We the fans superb in support were given a chunk of pride back. Together on the day, behind the team and were the "extra man" that made a huge difference. The players knew it and drove on from it. Yes on at least three occasions made their point about the owners but key was when the youngsters needed lifting they (the fans) stepped in to do it.

But my favourite part of the day ? Sharing it with my lad (19) who was so happy at the final whistle he could hardly speak and back at uni is still buzzing from it today.

Thank you to the team and SBA a special day

Last edited:

Moff

Is it just me, does G Thomas' goal get better and better every time i play it?

It does! I have just sat and watched the goals again and it is a great strike. The roar when the first goal went in was amazing too.

Whatever has happened this year the pride I felt yesterday being part of such a vast army of supporters, and to see how well the team played, will be hard to beat for quite a while.

matesx

I've just watched whole thing back.

Didn't realise how close they came at the death, what a save.

And George's goal has been rewound at least 20 times! Magic

Covstu

Got back about an hour ago. Top day, down on the first train from Nuneaton which wasn't too busy and everyone got a seat. Has 5 cans on the train alone! We drank outside the Arch and was a great atmosphere. Great seats, one row from the back at the scoreboard. Bigi was man of the match for me, he played his heart out.
The evening was okay, went to Baker Street and the whole place was shutdown so heading to Euston for a few beers around there and finished up nearer the hotel.
Full English in the morning and got the train back in the afternoon after a few more beers!
Top day, great support and fantastic to see the city out in force. Seems like every corner I turned round, I met some one I knew who was as equally pissed!

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
For once we are winners and have something no one can take away. It doesn't matter it was the checkatrade trophy the effect on the immediate psyche of the club on the football side ( team and fans) is important. Winners. Achieved in spite not because of the owners & fisher.

The team and SBA deserve their moment

Edgey95

apparently leeds, burnley and qpr are interested in Thomas. If the offer is right i cant see him wanting to stay :( unless he's genuinely passionate about the club

Paxman II

A sense of pride in our football club has been restored if nothing else. When the dust settles we will still have our parasite owners and be relegated.
Most of the 43k or so will go back to their sofa's with just a memory and I doubt we will see gates any higher than 8k next season on a good day.
But here's hoping a point was proven, that we are a club worthy of investment with potential far more reaching than where we currently find ourselves.
If we can use this high point under MR's to start our upward journey of successive promotions then we will achieve something in spite of SISU.
Lets hope the owners don't try and spoil that party opportunity with what ever behavior they come up with next.

CheesyChimp

apparently leeds, burnley and qpr are interested in Thomas. If the offer is right i cant see him wanting to stay :( unless he's genuinely passionate about the club

My first thought on seeing the goal again on the highlights was 'there'll be offers for Thomas within hours' :-/

Sbarcher

It would be great to get a few more in on Saturday to give the team another lift and show that when we come together we can achieve success. TF please note - we want success not brek-even!!!

clint van damme

It would be great to get a few more in on Saturday to give the team another lift and show that when we come together we can achieve success. TF please note - we want success not brek-even!!!

You can have both, (up to a point), you just need someone who isn't so obsessed with breaking even that they forsake everything else.

Liquid Gold

A brilliant day out made for me by my 15 year old son's reaction to the first goal, tears in his eyes It literally knocked the stuffing out of him. Also my cousins wife spending most of the first half cancelling all his cards after losing his wallet, only to find it on the seat of the coach when we got back. All in all a great day for us all but mostly for the younger fans who have grown up in the era of plastic premier league fans taking the piss at school. Finally the words of my son on the coach home when he told me he is "sky blue through and through".
Weren't in 133 were you. There was a dad and his lad there and the young one was a bit emotional at times.

North York’s Blue

An absolutely top day out. Started in Kilburn at 0930, back there after the game and didn't leave until 11pm. Needless to say I had a horrible hangover this morning, but it was worth it

Essexrobbie

Don't know which was worse, the last 45 mins of the car journey watching the minutes tick away as we were caught in horrendous traffic and coming to terms with the prospect of maybe missing the start and after 30 long years missing the best bit of any final as the players come out on the pitch..... or the last 20 mins as we defended the kitchen sink being thrown at us. My nerves are a complete mess and I need psychiatric help after yesterday. We did made the start with 10 mins to spare, but past hundreds in the oxford que who must have missed it.

no_loyalty

Absolutely awesome day from start to finish, hope we get another day out at Wembley sooner rather than later. Some great banter with the Oxford fans in the queue next to us, while waiting for train home

AngryAnt

Great crack on the coach, driver turning a blind eye to the consumption of beer, wine and cider. Driver taking the piss by passing about half a mile of stationary traffic and cutting in then cutting about three red lights in a row. Atmosphere in Green Man so good I could feel my beer glass vibrating. Someone curling one out into a plastic glass in the bogs. Couple of pints of real ale from the barrel inside the concourse. What a goal from Georgie. Deafening rendition of In our Coventry Home. Rounded off this morning watching some posh Oxford kids YouTube blog where he says they are playing an easy team and then is heard saying "shut up skyblues" when the noise of 'stand up if you love city' is dominating his commentary.

Could you link it :D, since being in our end I wondered what it would sound like across the other side of the stadium. It really was deafening from where I was sitting.

Still buzzing, first time we've ever won anything while I've been alive, though I hope next time we're back at Wembley is for the FA Cup or the likes (and obviously going up the leagues as Champs as I'm not sure I could take a play off game there).
Also have to say, Wembley and the staff there were utterly fantastic, still impressed. I know they do it week in week out but even the small touch like lighting up the arch in sky blue really shows just how much thought they put into the games.

Great_Expectations

Absolutely fantastic day. From getting the train and sharing beers with random Coventry fans, to bumping into numerous people we know including one of our best mates who we bumped into on Wembley way, to drinks and the buzz afterwards. Not the mention the game itself which seems an absolute blur looking back (and not due to alcohol!), it all just happened too fast.

Two stand out moments for me:

1) Celebrating with my Dad who I've had a ST with for 20 years (bar Sixfields) and seeing the genuine pride and happiness in his face at the final whistle. Great memory.
2) Instigating a rendition of Twist and Shout at HT in the concourse.

Great day and I really wish we have more days like that in the future.

I finally have a positive memory to cherish forever.

stevefloyd

Went with my mate and my son, my mate and I went to Wembley the day after we won in 87 and done a stadium tour so he had to go again but it was seeing my son next to me singing his heart out and the elation we felt and shared with people around us when we scored hugging each other brilliant atmosphere and brilliant day, seeing some guys come into the pub last night and instigating a rendition of Sky Blue Army...fantastic for all you young guys out there that have finally seen CCFC have some success...get up there and support the team for the rest of the season and enjoy once again being a Coventry City fan

Bugsy

Wish I could go back in time and do it all again the whole weekend was one to cherish. Is was immense wish it didn't have to end but like all good things it has to soon...but this has to be a start of something good considering how our league season has gone. I hope there will be many more memories to celebrate with the sky blue army and i can now say i have lived to see my team win a trophy. Bucket list checked. Well done all.......PUSB

Last edited:
M

Martw

To share the day with my daughter who as a 23 year old has hardly seen a good day let alone a good season was something that money cannot buy and words
struggle to do justice to. Couldn't persuade Dad to travel from Spain which was a regret but it was still just awesome. Drove down from suffolk to Epping and tube across London. On the way back shared a carriage with a few Gooners who must have thought I was a Man City fan with my sky blue and white scarf on! haha!!
I said to the wife as we drove back that it was quite simply one of the very best days of my life and for the younger generation of fans , they finally (and thank goodness)
have a real tangible thing to celebrate and to remember which for me, makes the whole experience just perfect . Play Up Sky Blues....

one final thought, does anybody think yesterday will have any effect on the owners and their plans? personally I don't but I guess that 1% hope still flickers somewhere!

Users who are viewing this thread