What a night . (1 Viewer)

skyblueed999

I also was there, the fog on the motorway was that bad the police were leading convoys of traffic yet you could see the moon as clear as anything. I think we lost the replay 2 nil. We should also have won this match as Gary Thompson scored in added time but it was disallowed because of a Tom Hutchison foul.

NortonSkyBlue

I was there and also at Everton on the previous Saturday when we lost 6-0.
Likewise. We were in the Kemlyn road stand , the walk back to the coach was unreal, fans being picked off, slashings, windows being smashed on the coach. One of the most memorable nights following the Sky Blues for so many reasons least of all the game.

oscillatewildly

Never went to this one but went to the replay. Couple of school mates went to the Anfield tie and regaled us the next day with tales of the aggro in and around Stanley Park.

Torquay Sky Blue

Went to that. Shit myself for the whole 90 and after walking back to the coaches. Surrounded on the terrace . Not for the faint hearted that one

The Great Eastern

I was at the replay at HR. Just about the only thing I can clearly remember was Jimmy Case scoring an absolute thunderbolt of a shot that no goalkeeper on the planet would have saved.

COV

Went to that. Shit myself for the whole 90 and after walking back to the coaches. Surrounded on the terrace . Not for the faint hearted that one

This match makes it into a book by a Liverpool fan (‘boys from the Mersey’ I think), who noted that their fans had a whale of a time that night, relieving our fans of their coats & other items of clothing while they were trying to safely navigate the streets around the ground after the match

clint van damme

I was at the replay at HR. Just about the only thing I can clearly remember was Jimmy Case scoring an absolute thunderbolt of a shot that no goalkeeper on the planet would have saved.

He nearly took my fucking head off with a clearance that night. Was looking elsewhere and turned just in time to see the ball about to smack me right in the face and got out the way.

oscillatewildly

Can't remember if it was after Case's or Dalglish's goal but just one solitary Liverpool fan invading the pitch in celebration (pre perimeter fencing - that would come at the end of the season after the Forest title winning game exploits)
This bloke seemed to be on the pitch for ages - Think the game restarted with him taking up a sweeper position.

Torquay Sky Blue

This match makes it into a book by a Liverpool fan (‘boys from the Mersey’ I think), who noted that their fans had a whale of a time that night, relieving our fans of their coats & other items of clothing while they were trying to safely navigate the streets around the ground after the match
We received a right royal kick in that night , both inside and outside the ground. Though I seem to remember some of our lot getting their own back over Gosford Park after the replay.

ovduk78

We received a right royal kick in that night , both inside and outside the ground. Though I seem to remember some of our lot getting their own back over Gosford Park after the replay.
My memory is that the police in Liverpool did nothing yet the police on horseback charged at the Coventry fans on Gosford Park

wingy

My memory is that the police in Liverpool did nothing yet the police on horseback charged at the Coventry fans on Gosford Park
There were horses charging down the side of the ground as they started setting about us , pulling zippers down on bomber jackets to reveal sky blue scarves .
My bro had his coat and money knicked and given a busted jaw after being kicked out for spitting.
Good old days.

Covcraig@bury

I remember going to this game . Got home around 7 am . The fog on the motorway was pea soup all the way . It was that bad the driver gave a lad a torch to walk in front of the mini bus .

slowpoke

I think Cov surprised Liverpool fans that night what the scallies never talk about is when we were coming out of the Kemlin Road stand there was a fence on the right and when it ended there was the Kop a fight started and Cov charged them back into the Kop and loads of Cov were in the Kop having a right go until the cops turned up.
But it was certainly a hairy night. Stuck on the M6 in a pea soup fog with broken coach windows fighting West Brom fans on the carriageway think they were on their way back from Bolton.

Macca1987

Remember it well, got in late and ended up in the Liverpool main stand, I seem to recall we were nearly camped on their line for the last few minutes. Walking back to the coach they would send the kids up behind us kicking our legs, then when anyone turned round the scallies would jump you. My mate took it all the way back to the coach not reacting, then as he stepped on the coach steps turned and lamped one, think ours was one of many coaches that night with no windows on the way back

no_loyalty

Remember this was just about to venture onto the foggy M6 around now.

My dad told me about some City fans who were on the way or coming back from a game with thick fog on the M6, they stopped for a piss and jumped over what they thought was a barrier, but it was a bridge and they plunged down into the river below and drowned.

I'm guessing this was the game in question?

shmmeee

My dad told me about some City fans who were on the way or coming back from a game with thick fog on the M6, they stopped for a piss and jumped over what they thought was a barrier, but it was a bridge and they plunged down into the river below and drowned.

Wait. They all jumped over in unison?

wingy

Not sure about this?
Do remember a kerfuffle in the services with I think the baggies.
Food flying everywhere

blunted

I also was there, the fog on the motorway was that bad the police were leading convoys of traffic yet you could see the moon as clear as anything. I think we lost the replay 2 nil. We should also have won this match as Gary Thompson scored in added time but it was disallowed because of a Tom Hutchison foul.
I was there. Remember thinking how crap Anfield was with wooden bench seats. Memory not reliable, but I thought we scored a really good goal to make it 3-2 folloiwing a class cross from Hutch. Thought it was ruled out by a very dubious offside decision. Always happened at Anfield dodgy decisions, refs played endless extra time until Liverpool scored. Worse than Fergie time. Was at the replay too which I remember we lost but thats about. it. We definately out sang the famous Kop for the first game.

Jagmannn

Yes i was there ...great night for the fans .....but it was freezing driving home with the windows smashed in on the coach ....

Brylowes

Yes the author was Nick Alt, he cites it as the largest away following he’d ever seen at Anfield, I’m sure he estimated it at about 14.000.
Says everyone the next day was walking around in the Sheepskin Jackets they’d relieved the Cov fans of.

Reactions: COV

Torquay Sky Blue

Not sure about this?
Do remember a kerfuffle in the services with I think the baggies.
Food flying everywhere
This is true. All kicked off with West Brom at the services on the way up.
I was on a coach full of Woodenders. My mate booked it through his works and didn't realise who our travel companions would be. Delightful bunch

oscillatewildly

Must have been members of the Warwick & Lemmings SC.

tommy hutch legend

I was also there in main stand opposite the stand sold out with city great game but you had to fight your way back to get on the coach old bill just stood and watched

CDK

Yes i was there ...great night for the fans .....but it was freezing driving home with the windows smashed in on the coach ....
Back then a regular occurrence every season remember the shit night but great result ,violence was common place away from home amount of times it happened and I got and gave back a slap or 4,just being a football fan.
that night a great night,powell was a really good player,Wallace a great goalscorer and superb with Mick furgueson as a partnership.

Last edited:

lifeskyblue

It was the year I went to uni (Lancaster). Travelled down weekend before by train with couple of Evertonians…awful result and a journey back where I was the butt of all jokes after the drubbing. I may be wrong but seem to think it was a game between top 2 at that time.
Organised a minibus for the Liverpool game with those Evertonians who in the space of a couple days suddenly became city fans. The driver was a Forest fan and the others on bus a mixture of Liverpool fans and neutrals with me as only City fan. It was a great night and all the neutrals certainly supported us that night and a few accompanied me to other games in the northwest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CDK

Loved the 70s& 80s watching the city as certain teams
Getting in and out was a challenge for personnel safety which we took for granted and we all became streetwise myself going away on my own from 11 years old (telling my dad I was at mates)makes you aware and wise what's happening and safe but great fun especially if we didn't lose and looked after by older supporters if it got a bit hairy.

I was at both games the Everton one I really don't remember much about the game. Just a small group of us having to battle back to the coach with a degree of satisfaction when we got back. Only for some scally to put a brick through the window just as we were pulling away, as other poster said absolutely freezing on the way back.
The Liverpool game we were travelling back down the motorway in a car. When the driver decided to fall asleep at the wheel. Good job the traffic was going much slower than normal. Clipped the crash barrier and thought nothing of it. Few miles down the road and getting flashed from behind, we could see a trail of what was petrol. Managed to pull over and a temporary fix to the split in the petrol tank with chewing gum and lollypop sticks. Had to limp from service station to service station cost us a fortune to get home. Remember seeing the aftermath of the trouble with the West Brom fans at one of the services.

Users who are viewing this thread