What are you currently reading? (1 Viewer)

Nr1

So, let's get to know one another better.

What are you currently reading?

Me? I've been reading Atlas Shrugged, for the past month now and I'm about 2/3 done. Looking forward to get this one over with.

NorthernWisdom

Hi.

I've just finished Grendel, ironically enough, by John Gardner. Starts a bit simple, gets pretentious in the middle, ends up coming together as a book by the end... and the simplistic start becomes obvious as a stylistic device.

So... pretty thoughtful as an adaptation really. Could have done without the awful philosophy in the middle mind you.

Nick

Administrator
"How to bump threads close to 7 years old" :)

I did start reading one about painting houses and the mafia but can't find it :(

Grendel

My house is overloaded with books. I'm going to have to get rid of some. I must get through over 50 a year.

I've just finished a trilogy of crime dramas by an author called Peter May.

I'm now reading some crime dramas from an author called Nigel Mccrae - rather gruesome stuff - yet apparently he writes New Tricks.

Marty

Past month I've read

Broken Heart - it's brilliant
Hellfire - pritty good
The Explorer - Terrible
In the cold dark ground - very good.

Just started reading 'Run for your life', followed by 'Missing, presumed' 'The good liar' 'cut' and 'the poision artist'

Marty

[QUOTendel, post: 1159278, member: 4246"]My house is overloaded with books. I'm going to have to get rid of some. I must get through over 50 a year.

I'm now reading some crime dramas from an author called Nigel Mccrae - rather gruesome stuff - yet apparently he writes New Tricks.[/QUOTE]

what are thr Peter May books like? I was looking at coffin road the other day. Looked interesting but didn't sell it self to me.

Grendel

[QUOTendel, post: 1159278, member: 4246"]My house is overloaded with books. I'm going to have to get rid of some. I must get through over 50 a year.

I'm now reading some crime dramas from an author called Nigel Mccrae - rather gruesome stuff - yet apparently he writes New Tricks.

what are thr Peter May books like? I was looking at coffin road the other day. Looked interesting but didn't sell it self to me.[/QUOTE]

Some if the individual novels are a bit odd. I've not read coffin road but that is a hebredian murder novel.

The trilogy is based in the isle of Lewis. The black house is Novel
One. That I would recommend as a start to his work.

Nick

Administrator
I read that sordell started a charity after he read the book trafficked. Quite a hard hitting book

bringbackrattles

Currently reading a great football book called The Football Man by Arthur Hopcraft. The Guardian call it a masterpiece so as it was only £2.50 in a charity shop I thought let's see if it is then ? It was first written in 1968 and covers football from that decade and on a bit,but the author writes about footballers,fans,and characters etc, its very working class and a great read.
Some brilliant stories and I can see why its rated so highly,ex manager Graham Taylor says: " It remains one of my favourite football reads."

Sky_Blue_Daz

Just finished Danny Bakers second book it was ok not as good as his first
Running with the firm is an interesting book by a fella called James Bannon true story of s police officer who had to infiltrate the millwall hooiligans the film ID is based on the book I think
I'm about to start 11-22-63 I enjoyed the tv show but was told the book is much better

mrtrench

I'm nearly finished Paul Auster "The Book of Illusions". I'm going to squeeze in a cheeky Magnus Mills next. Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead are both on my shelf for future use - are they good?

bringbackrattles

You can pick up some great books in charity shops and browsing in one last year spotted a book on the Beatles. It contains the lyrics to all their songs,poetry from Lennon and McCartney, paintings and lots of other stuff too. Its a book I'm keeping hold of as its that interesting. A bloke who served me said for a fiver I've got a great piece of Beatles history,and I agreed !

mrtrench

You can pick up some great books in charity shops and browsing in one last year spotted a book on the Beatles. It contains the lyrics to all their songs,poetry from Lennon and McCartney, paintings and lots of other stuff too. Its a book I'm keeping hold of as its that interesting. A bloke who served me said for a fiver I've got a great piece of Beatles history,and I agreed !

Agree, can't walk past one without checking out the book section. There's also an awful lot of rubbish there but occasionally you can pick up a very good book for a song.

bringbackrattles

My sister got me into charity shops a few years ago. Now like you I'm always in them when I can. I've picked up books,CDs, clothes,especially football/rugby tops.
If money is tight I'd recommend a trip to one or two,yes you get loads of tat etc but keep your eyes open and you can spot bargains.

Pipehitterz

Just finished Danny Bakers second book it was ok not as good as his first
Running with the firm is an interesting book by a fella called James Bannon true story of s police officer who had to infiltrate the millwall hooiligans the film ID is based on the book I think
I'm about to start 11-22-63 I enjoyed the tv show but was told the book is much better
Shall I pass on the Danny Baker second?
The first one was good but kinda petered out. Not sure I can stomach round 2 unless it's interesting

Sky_Blue_Daz

Shall I pass on the Danny Baker second?
The first one was good but kinda petered out. Not sure I can stomach round 2 unless it's interesting
There's a few good bits a great story about his dad trying to slap Harry Enfield but it just wasn't as good as the first probably because there's not enough story's about his dad

Johnnythespider

My sister got me into charity shops a few years ago. Now like you I'm always in them when I can. I've picked up books,CDs, clothes,especially football/rugby tops.
If money is tight I'd recommend a trip to one or two,yes you get loads of tat etc but keep your eyes open and you can spot bargains.
You should try the charity shops in Leamington, some top quality tat over there.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Grendel

Go there a lot! Cafe is quite nice but expensive! Gets really busy at the weekend.

Yes cafe is very good. High quality stuff.

Nick

Administrator
They have some real old books, I think they are George Elliott but a few hundred pounds I think.

Grendel

They have some real old books, I think they are George Elliott but a few hundred pounds I think.

Yes also some original boar war diaries for the same sort of price.

Grendel

Just checked it out and it looks impressive. It says Bedworth. Is it in the town centre ?

No it's on Astley road near arbury hall. It's in a very rural setting.

Grendel

Cheers. Had another look and it says not far from Smorral Lane and my auntie lives there.
I will go one weekend when I'm not at the football.

Yes it's near smorral lane. If you have lunch you will see sandwiches are rather steep at £6 - however they are huge and easily can feed two. The cakes (I'm not a cake fan) are excellent also and again portions are absurd.

Book choice is incredible.

Grendel

Have you thought about getting a kindle? Or joining a library!

I never could get used to a kindle. Just not the same. I've done a rough count and I have over 700 books in my house - I should give them to charity I guess.

Anyway in terms of authors and subjects I tend to like crime drama,
thrillers and also horror type novels.

I would recommend Peter James as a novelist. He writes a crime series with Roy grace as the main character but also many horror novels as well.

Mark billingham and the thorn novels I would highly recommend.

On a long haul flight you need something to not engage a brain. So look at the machismo nonsense that is jack reacher - the author is from coventry.

Users who are viewing this thread