What are you currently reading? (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Is that still there ? If I recall it was similar to the Acorn pub in Ringwood Highway.
Yep! Saw you said after by smorral lane, it's just down past where the pit was. Towards the cross roads.

Loads in there, I tend to usually get in and out of there but people seem to spend hours.

Good for kids books upstairs too

Last edited:

rob9872

Left school 25 years ago and not read a novel since. I lack imagination and attention span. Tbh I'm not mad on films or theatre either, guess I'm just a boring old git, but if it's not sport then, I'm not really interested.

mrtrench

I never could get used to a kindle. Just not the same. I've done a rough count and I have over 700 books in my house - I should give them to charity I guess.

Anyway in terms of authors and subjects I tend to like crime drama,
thrillers and also horror type novels.

I would recommend Peter James as a novelist. He writes a crime series with Roy grace as the main character but also many horror novels as well.

Mark billingham and the thorn novels I would highly recommend.

On a long haul flight you need something to not engage a brain. So look at the machismo nonsense that is jack reacher - the author is from coventry.

I agree about Kindle; my daughter bought me one for Christmas but I'm a Luddite. My strategy now is to buy first editions on Abebooks and then sell them on Amazon when I've read them - I can usually turn a small profit. There are so many good books to read that I generally won't read anything twice, the exceptions being Graham Greene and Evelyn Waugh. I cannot rival 700 but I reckon I have approaching 200 sitting waiting to be read. I cannot rival 50 per year either - I reckon on average I complete a book every 10 days.

Grendel

I agree about Kindle; my daughter bought me one for Christmas but I'm a Luddite. My strategy now is to buy first editions on Abebooks and then sell them on Amazon when I've read them - I can usually turn a small profit. There are so many good books to read that I generally won't read anything twice, the exceptions being Graham Greene and Evelyn Waugh. I cannot rival 700 but I reckon I have approaching 200 sitting waiting to be read. I cannot rival 50 per year either - I reckon on average I complete a book every 10 days.

To be fair I have slowed down this year and I read less after work. However I do travel with work a fair bit and you can burn a book or two on a long haul flight and a stay in market.

Captain Dart

Recently, Nova, Babel-17 (Samuel R Delany), A Bridge too Far (Cornelius Ryan). All on Kindle.

SkyblueBazza

Currently reading an interesting thread on Skybluetalk

Book-wise GNOSIS on Kindle. No idea of the author tbh lol

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Gazolba

I've read all the Bill Bryson books except his new one that was just published. I can thoroughly recommend them all.
His one about Australia "In a Sunburned Country" is absolutely hilarious.
His books are very funny but also insightful and thought-provoking at the same time.

Monners

Bill Brysons A Short history of nearly Everything is brilliant

Currently reading The Universe in Your Hand by Christophe Galfard.
A journey through space, time and beyond done in the slightly unusual way

olderskyblue

It's just down from the carousel pub :)

A mate of mine lived near the carousel, so used to go in every week or so. Some interesting people in there back in the day. Met a very "interesting" young lady there too... I was 18, and she was my first experience of a girl who knew exactly what she wanted, if you get my drift :) (no, she wasn't on the game...) It was quite educational..

I could have written a book about her... (to keep to the thread) :angelic:

Johnnythespider

I never could get used to a kindle. Just not the same. I've done a rough count and I have over 700 books in my house - I should give them to charity I guess.

Anyway in terms of authors and subjects I tend to like crime drama,
thrillers and also horror type novels.

I would recommend Peter James as a novelist. He writes a crime series with Roy grace as the main character but also many horror novels as well.

Mark billingham and the thorn novels I would highly recommend.

On a long haul flight you need something to not engage a brain. So look at the machismo nonsense that is jack reacher - the author is from coventry.
That was a question on pointless last week, the Jack Reacher author that is

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Pipehitterz

There's a few good bits a great story about his dad trying to slap Harry Enfield but it just wasn't as good as the first probably because there's not enough story's about his dad
I've decided to buy it.
Just Read that the sitcom 'cradle to grave ' with Paul Kaye, is based on the first book that i've just Read, didn't know this at all.
Apparently Baker is writing book 3 and the series 2 has been given the go ahead.

Last edited:

lifeskyblue

That was a question on pointless last week, the Jack Reacher author that is

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Lee Child, the Reacher author, came and spoke three yrs ago at the book club I belong to. We had read the latest, at that time, Reacher novel. They are all v similar and n terms of plot development but great escapist fun.
I asked him if he fancied sinking his millions into CCFC but he said he moved to brum when v young and was a villa fan...noooooo!!!! He does mention the Vile in one of the Reacher novels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread