What is CCFC status? (1 Viewer)

SBchimp

If the league tables were made up of club resources where would Cov be?

Forgetting the current playing staff and considering things like fan base, stadium and training facilities I suspect we are currently punching above our weight at the bottom end of the Championship.

Like many having grown up with it, I have always thought we should be a top flight club. Championship as a minimum.

But looking at it now, we have a very decent fan base, we don't own our ground but have use of a very nice stadium for the next 10 years, a training ground with two pitches but not a lot more and a productive Academy that rents facilities at a local sports centre.

When we were in the premier league we didn't invest in our infrastructure we just tried to survive.
I think of premiership bound Norwich as being a similar sort of club, a decent history and fan base but have made better decisions along the way.
Not digging our owners here, they didn't sell the ground, share of the Ricoh or even sell the Sky Blue Connection :rolleyes: (how good was that in its day!)

I'd probably put us in league 1 mid-table, which makes me feel disappointed, but then we should be happy as we are overachieving?

skyblue1991

If the league tables were made up of club resources where would Cov be?

Forgetting the current playing staff and considering things like fan base, stadium and training facilities I suspect we are currently punching above our weight at the bottom end of the Championship.

Like many having grown up with it, I have always thought we should be a top flight club. Championship as a minimum.

But looking at it now, we have a very decent fan base, we don't own our ground but have use of a very nice stadium for the next 10 years, a training ground with two pitches but not a lot more and a productive Academy that rents facilities at a local sports centre.

When we were in the premier league we didn't invest in our infrastructure we just tried to survive.
I think of premiership bound Norwich as being a similar sort of club, a decent history and fan base but have made better decisions along the way.
Not digging our owners here, they didn't sell the ground, share of the Ricoh or even sell the Sky Blue Connection :rolleyes: (how good was that in its day!)

I'd probably put us in league 1 mid-table, which makes me feel disappointed, but then we should be happy as we are overachieving?
Our fan base is much more fickle than Norwich's. They will get 20k+ whichever league they are in. We struggled getting anymore than 6k in League 2

Whenever the Cov fan base topic comes up I always revert to the return to the Ricoh against Gillingham:

Friday night on Sky against Gillingham which we won 1-0: 28k attendance
The Saturday after 3pm kick off not on Sky against Yeovil after winning the previous week: 11k attendance

I would say we are about right where we are, a bottom half Championship club that has the potential to do better

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

For a generation we are not a top flight club now and have spent a lot of time in League 1 during that period.

ceetee

If not owning your ground puts you in L1, there’s going to be some pretty big teams in L1 Who owns Premier League stadiums?
That is true but in most cases I think the club owners are connected to the stadium owners or are at least sympathetic owners. And also the clubs may have access to the stadium for some non-football revenues. We are at the wrong end of that scale.

skybluetony176

When it comes to facilities I bet we fair quite well. Half decent training ground and a decent academy probably puts us above the majority of teams in the pyramid and maybe even a surprising number in the championship. Seem to remember Burnley having an awful training ground even when first in the premier league, they used the initial premier league windfall to build their current training ground and IIRC academy.
In terms of budget we’re a strong league one team I would think at the moment but with returning to the Ricoh, hopefully some decent crowds next season, hopefully still championship TV money, sponsorship etc the budget will grow. Although not sure we’ve got anymore Maddison, Wilson type add on fee type bonuses coming anytime soon so that may have a negative effect on the budget.

Users who are viewing this thread