what is our current 1st team ? (2 Viewers)

ccfcway

don't get the Andreu confidence at all. he didn't get a chance to do anything in league two and is coming back from a serious injury.

On the bench at best for the start of the season

Really hoping for a new number 1 as well.

Mucca Mad Boys

don't get the Andreu confidence at all. he didn't get a chance to do anything in league two and is coming back from a serious injury.

On the bench at best for the start of the season

Really hoping for a new number 1 as well.

He had a good game v Shrewsbury, who came 3rd in the league above, and we’ve decided to sign all their best players...

He looked like a class act before his untimely injury, has a very good career stats and even his last stint in the Championship was pretty good too. Oxford wanted him before we signed him (allegedly) so I’m confident he’ll play a role in L1.

ccfcway

He had a good game v Shrewsbury, who came 3rd in the league above, and we’ve decided to sign all their best players...

He looked like a class act before his untimely injury, has a very good career stats and even his last stint in the Championship was pretty good too. Oxford wanted him before we signed him (allegedly) so I’m confident he’ll play a role in L1.

I think he will play a role, but not as a starter on day one.

Nonleagueherewecome

Anyone who thinks Grimmer will start ahead of Sterling is mad IMO. The kids on the verge of Chelsea team and an England youth player.

I agree that Sterling would probably be ahead of Grimmer but he is young and inexperienced and won't play every game, his time will have to be managed. And I do think he will be used at RM a lot too, a position we have lacked depth in. I like the idea of him playing there and Grimmer overlapping with him, he can drop in to cover when required too.

4231:

Burge
Sterling Willis Davies Brown
Ogogo Doyle
Jones Andreu Alassani
McNulty

S: LOB, MacDonald, Grimmer, Kelly, Bayliss, Shipley, JCH

442:

Burge
Sterling Willis Davies Brown
Jones Ogogo Andreu Alassani
McNulty JCH

S: LOB, MacDonald, Grimmer, Doyle, Bayliss, Shipley, Ponticelli

I will say that anyone who has Alassani in their starting XI ahead of Bayliss as you do is mad, though! Bayliss is proven at L2 level (and excelled in the cup games against higher division sides too) and frankly looks to have the potential that Maddison does to go on and be a top flight player. Alassani might work out, he might not, but he's unproven at league level and it is going to take him time to adapt. It took Biamou half a season to adjust to L2 football: this is L1 and Alassani is coming from a much lower level. I think he's an impact sub for now and look to start games later in the season when he's had some coaching and our first team has injuries and tired players.

I think Bayliss is ahead of Jones and Andreu for a starting berth too regardless of shape-you fit him in, he's our best player. The other two are coming back from very serious knocks and will be phased in gradually I think.

What is great is having so much depth and flexibility!

Nonleagueherewecome

If Bayliss doesn't feel he'll be a significant cog this season do we think he'll bide his time ?
Nah he will be, he's waaaay too good not to be. Does anyone think we'd have reached the playoffs without him? Kid turned our season around and McNulty really benefits from his creativity, they have a cracking understanding.

Mucca Mad Boys

I think he will play a role, but not as a starter on day one.

A lot of it depends on preseason. Jones, Brown, Ogogo and Andreu are all coming back from pretty significant knee injuries so their rehab and fitness depends on their roles. There’s a performance aspect too, personally, I see Allassani starting as an impact sub, he’s come from non-league too. This said, if he scores a lot of goals in preseason, with his pedigree, he could quickly become a starter.

The fact that so many of us have different opinions on what the team will be is surely a good thing. We certainly needed to improve our depth, which we’ve done, if we’re to have a shot of promotion. With more people to come through the door, I’m hopeful for our chances.

I have a feeling my season ticket will be my best investment of 2018!

Mucca Mad Boys

Not really an advocate of 352 but city could play it similar to England with Grimmer dropping into a back 3 ala Walker.
Burge
Grimmer
Hyam
Willis
Sterling
Brown
Ogogo
Andreu
Bayliss
Jones
McNulty

Thinking about it, a back three of Willis, Davies and Hyam is well balanced. In that system, I’d probably have Shipley and Bayliss flanking Ogogo, with McNulty and JCH/Biamou up top.

However, if we play 3 at the back, 3-4-3 would probably suit us better because I feel like it accommodates Jones, with McNulty in the middle and Allassani on the left (in that setup). But, Robins is proponent of 4 at the back because he never really tried 3 centre backs for more than one game.

Frankly, the more options we have, the better because if we’re unlucky with injuries again, we’ll need to utilise our depth.

shmmeee

I agree that Sterling would probably be ahead of Grimmer but he is young and inexperienced and won't play every game, his time will have to be managed. And I do think he will be used at RM a lot too, a position we have lacked depth in. I like the idea of him playing there and Grimmer overlapping with him, he can drop in to cover when required too.

I will say that anyone who has Alassani in their starting XI ahead of Bayliss as you do is mad, though! Bayliss is proven at L2 level (and excelled in the cup games against higher division sides too) and frankly looks to have the potential that Maddison does to go on and be a top flight player. Alassani might work out, he might not, but he's unproven at league level and it is going to take him time to adapt. It took Biamou half a season to adjust to L2 football: this is L1 and Alassani is coming from a much lower level. I think he's an impact sub for now and look to start games later in the season when he's had some coaching and our first team has injuries and tired players.

I think Bayliss is ahead of Jones and Andreu for a starting berth too regardless of shape-you fit him in, he's our best player. The other two are coming back from very serious knocks and will be phased in gradually I think.

What is great is having so much depth and flexibility!

I can’t bring myself to put Bayliss in cos I know he won’t be here long.

I’d probably have him in instead of Andreu if he’s here. At least to start.
Having seen Sterling’s YouTube I’d push him forward as well. Grimmer at RB, Sterling RM, Jones LM.

Covbaker96

I have a feeling we may see a 3 at the back formation being tried out, maybe like a 3-4-2-1 or even a 3-4-3, Grimmer can play centre half and i can see Robins doing similar that Gareth Southgate has done with Kyle Walker atm..

Gibbo

Bayliss-mania bears little relation to reality. Look back through the player-ratings threads, and see how often people commented how quiet he was or how ineffective. This included the Wembley game.

There is no doubt he has class, but whether that class produces much AT THIS LEVEL is a moot point. There is a natural limit on his effectiveness because the players around him are not as skilled as he is, particularly at holding the ball. We could have somebody much more effective than Bayliss, even if less skilled (this is the reason Mourinho and Van Gaal like Fellaini incidentally - less skilled, but more effective).In addition we are playing Bayliss out of position anyway, and by the looks of the signings will continue to do so. Stirling would be the man for the right sided midfield slot surely.
What is the conversion rate at which point it is worth selling Bayliss? If there is such a thing. I x Bayliss provides cash for x new players, what is the value of x at which point it is worth selling him.

Incidentally, the point made above about Andreu and Jones both in the side on day 1 being unlikely is a point well made that I had not thought of. Midfield of Stirling, Andreu (or Kelly), Ogogo and Shipley in which case

Esoterica

I would be shocked if we started the season playing 3 at the back as Plan A. Only Hyam and maybe McDonald (who seems to now be 4th choice) have the distribution to make that work. Brazil's 4-2-3-1 has long been Robin's preferred formation.

Gibbo

Robbins likes 2 up front surely - JCH or Max plus McNulty. McNulty isn't in the three of a 4-2-3-1, he's an old-fashioned poacher
Then he has two holding central midfielders (modified by pushing Kelly forward late in the season-to good effect) and two wing forwards
Looks like a defensive minded 4-4-2 to me of the sort favoured by Roy Hodgson's England with Dier & Henderson which was not a bad idea at the start of last season when there were a lot of new players

Colin Steins Smile

I think we need to be cautious about the players returning to the team, who've been out with knee cruciate injuries. They may need a little time to play themselves back to form, so MR may have already factored this into his recruitment thinking.
It might be that both those players start on the bench and get 20 minutes of playing time in the first few weeks.

faraway

Do not think Robins will change the back four much how it finished up end of last season, only possible change Davies for Hyam. Sterling may cover for Grimmer but start right mid. Brown will cover for Stokes, not first choice as many are thinking. As for the rest of the starting eleven I personally think Robins will rotate and select game by game. As pointed out by others there we be players leaving as we move throu July

covcity4life

Do not think Robins will change the back four much how it finished up end of last season, only possible change Davies for Hyam. Sterling may cover for Grimmer but start right mid. Brown will cover for Stokes, not first choice as many are thinking. As for the rest of the starting eleven I personally think Robins will rotate and select game by game. As pointed out by others there we be players leaving as we move throu July
wecan rotate 4 sure

but think brown will be starting leftback

Mucca Mad Boys

Bayliss-mania bears little relation to reality. Look back through the player-ratings threads, and see how often people commented how quiet he was or how ineffective. This included the Wembley game.

There is no doubt he has class, but whether that class produces much AT THIS LEVEL is a moot point. There is a natural limit on his effectiveness because the players around him are not as skilled as he is, particularly at holding the ball. We could have somebody much more effective than Bayliss, even if less skilled (this is the reason Mourinho and Van Gaal like Fellaini incidentally - less skilled, but more effective).In addition we are playing Bayliss out of position anyway, and by the looks of the signings will continue to do so. Stirling would be the man for the right sided midfield slot surely.
What is the conversion rate at which point it is worth selling Bayliss? If there is such a thing. I x Bayliss provides cash for x new players, what is the value of x at which point it is worth selling him.

Incidentally, the point made above about Andreu and Jones both in the side on day 1 being unlikely is a point well made that I had not thought of. Midfield of Stirling, Andreu (or Kelly), Ogogo and Shipley in which case

I agree on the Bayliss-mania point. Selling him is justified if it meant getting some top quality replacements through the door. He’s under contract until 2020 so we don’t really need to make a decision about that until Jan 2019 at the earliest. If we can get off to a good start this season, we may be able to tie down our best players to longer contracts.

Jones was head and shoulders our best player before his injury. Why on earth would Sterling start right mid ahead of Jones?
I like Grimmer, but he makes mistakes that lead to goals, so in L1 we needed a better option. Sterling’s primary position is quite clearly right back, it’s a no-brainer.

If we’re looking at promotion from L1, a lot of people are going to have to get their heads around the fact that fan favourites will have a reduced role this season. Doyle, Kelly, Grimmer and Biamou will probably be casualties here.

Esoterica

Not many people with Shipley in their starting XIs. I thought he'd got the attributes for a decent LB or DM when he broke into the side but he doesn't seem to like a 50/50 in the air or on the deck. His final ball is probably the poorest aspect of his game but he does have a very decent finish on him. Can see his progress being hampered this year at a higher level due to his utility. Not sure what his natural position is?

Malaka

Doyle will be off if he isn't played in all games. He will not be a bit part. MR has to find a way to play Ogogo and Doyle if he wants to keep him

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

We play with two DMs to be fair.
I'm thinking with the players that Mark Robins is signing, he's going to play the same formation as England next season.

Could be an interesting season.

Gibbo

I agree on the Bayliss-mania point. Selling him is justified if it meant getting some top quality replacements through the door. He’s under contract until 2020 so we don’t really need to make a decision about that until Jan 2019 at the earliest. If we can get off to a good start this season, we may be able to tie down our best players to longer contracts.

Jones was head and shoulders our best player before his injury. Why on earth would Sterling start right mid ahead of Jones?
I like Grimmer, but he makes mistakes that lead to goals, so in L1 we needed a better option. Sterling’s primary position is quite clearly right back, it’s a no-brainer.

If we’re looking at promotion from L1, a lot of people are going to have to get their heads around the fact that fan favourites will have a reduced role this season. Doyle, Kelly, Grimmer and Biamou will probably be casualties here.
Chelsea fans see Sterling as a replacement for Victor Moses rather than a right back apparently. Others on here doubt that Jones will be fit enough to start the season. But I am easy either way. It does mean that there is no particular team need to hang on to Bayliss - Sterling/Jones will probably deliver more

Mucca Mad Boys

Chelsea fans see Sterling as a replacement for Victor Moses rather than a right back apparently. Others on here doubt that Jones will be fit enough to start the season. But I am easy either way. It does mean that there is no particular team need to hang on to Bayliss - Sterling/Jones will probably deliver more

Chelsea play with wingbacks, the role of our fullbacks are akin to wingbacks — Grimmer certainly plays very high up the pitch when we attack. Any description of Sterling I’ve read about him has him as a RB who can play anywhere on the right. Junior Brown, a player I remember on football manager (with LB, LWB and LM all ‘natural’ positions) was described as a LB who can play further up the field. Which suggests we want our fullbacks to be very attacking and to play like wing backs.

It doesn’t make sense playing Sterling RM when we have Jones, and if our more reliable sources in SBT are to be believed, we’re looking at right midfielders.

A lot of Grimmer’s mistakes, for whatever reason, went completely unnoticed. Frankly, as important as he was in L2, if a player of Sterling’s quality and pedigree was available, we’d be mad not to sign them because is Grimmer a top-end L1 fullback? I’m not sure of that.

Sky Blue Harry H

Doyle will be off if he isn't played in all games. He will not be a bit part. MR has to find a way to play Ogogo and Doyle if he wants to keep him

Doyle loves it here - it's why he came back and he has had an unbelievable season in terms of achievement and adulation. I think it more likely that any next move will be onto our coaching/management staff - worth his weight in gold to have as a role model around the youngsters.

Malaka

Doyle loves it here - it's why he came back and he has had an unbelievable season in terms of achievement and adulation. I think it more likely that any next move will be onto our coaching/management staff - worth his weight in gold to have as a role model around the youngsters.
I hope so, although I know that he likes to play and is a pain when injured. When dropped he kicks the crap out of his team mates in training. He does not like being a bit part player and thinks he has a season or two left in him and wants to play as much as possible

fernandopartridge

I hope so, although I know that he likes to play and is a pain when injured. When dropped he kicks the crap out of his team mates in training. He does not like being a bit part player and thinks he has a season or two left in him and wants to play as much as possible

I think we need him as a leader on the pitch, we still have a relatively inexperienced team

Grendel

Users who are viewing this thread